New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Fairview Park, Ohio
“Nice Room, Bad Housekeeping”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

While the room itself was very nice and convenient, upon uncovering my bed for the first night, my sheets were FILTHY. They were extremely wrinkled and I could tell they hadn't been washed since the last person because of the following:

-A dried blood stain
-make up stain
-wrinkled
-didn't feel or smell clean
-upon checking for bed bugs, I lifted the mattress to find crumbs and a pretzel.

I immediately complained to the front desk and demanded new bedding, and the staff member could of cared less. Didn't apologize or even really say anything. He handed me bedding, only to discover that I was only given 1 sheet. I had a very uncomfortable nights sleep and would recommend firing the cleaning staff and adjusting customer service protocol--. I would not stay at this location again.

The continental breakfast is poorly organized as well. There is no table to sit at when you get there, so you have to eat standing up or carry your bowl of ceral and food with no tray or bag across the parking lot and up the stairwell to your room.

Room Tip: Check your room to make sure it was properly cleaned.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rachel K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ashburn, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We were supposed to stay here for a long-term stay, but had to leave after our first night. We are a family with young children and we wouldn't let our children crawl on the floor. After seeing a mouse in our room, we moved to a different hotel. While packing our stuff, we also discovered mouse droppings all over the kitchen and in the cabinet in the bathroom. We had family in another room who found the room to be dirty and not well maintained. The hotel is just not clean nor well-maintained. Staff was apologetic after the fact, but still partially charged us. Also, we were pay-ahead as we were there for a long-term stay, and manager demanded all cash up front (several thousand dollars and wouldn't take a cashier's check which is what our bank suggested to us) for our reserved rate. After calling Marriott, they told us this is not a typical practice and apologized. I really wish we would have looked more at the other ratings first before booking this hotel, lesson learned.

Room Tip: As far as we could tell, there was no restaurant nor room service.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Western New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We are Marriott Elite members so we stay exclusively at Marriott properties. This one was a disappointment. The women who checked us in wasn't very friendly or good at her job. Her kids were there using the lobby computers. She managed to mess up our reservation so that I had to make 3 trips back to the lobby just to get settled in. The rooms were dirty and the workmanship was shoddy at best. The smoke detector was literally hanging from the ceiling by it's wires. Didn't have linens for the sofabed and had to go get them ourselves since the front desk person told us she was the only one on and couldn't leave. Breakfast was a joke. One small counter, wouldn't even qualify it it as continental. Won't stay at that Marriott again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jndallen1
Spring, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

The hotel staff and house keeping were great! The hotel is an older facility, but is very well maintained. The only item needing attention is the gross over use of air freshner. I had to open the windows in the room some days to clear it out. The breakfast was very nice. There was no meat if that's what you're looking for. There was plenty of English muffins, bagels, cereals, apple and orange juice, apples, oranges and bananas - which I personally prefer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Clarksboro, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I bid on this hotel through priceline and received a very good price. Having said that, I was very pleased with this hotel regardless of the price. It was easy to access, was near the Giant Super Market and restaurants. I would be very happy to stay at this hotel for the price paid in the future and possibly more. The room had a full size refrigerator, microwave, oven, range, and dishwasher, and a flat screen TV. In addition the hotel was quiet and offere a free continetal breakfast, as well as free coffee all day. The hotel had excellent quality for a mid-grade hotel which I would rnak as a 3 star hotel. This is a great 3 star hotel for extended stays.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Good location, near shopping, library, restaurants; kitchen well-supplied; no dresser, just small bed stands; very small grounds but there is large area for dogs to run nearby at NoVA Community Collge; breakfast mostly starch (donuts were moldy one morning); attendants at desk OK but manager was a little intimidating; $100 fee/stay for dogs so not good for short stays

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

I've read some of the bad reviews on here and I'm a little surprised that their stay was not satisfactory. I travel to the DC area one time a year for two weeks in April for business. I stayed at this location last year and, because of the peace and quiet and distance to restaurants, decided to return. Last years stay was ok, but this year was much better! I was informed that the management had changed recently and I could certainly tell.

For one, there had been renovations to the rooms, which were nice. I agree with some of the complaints about about the hotel being outdated. The rooms just look, well...old! But they had redone the bathrooms and (as the staff told me...who knows) are going to continue with renovations until the entire hotel is done. Also, the place was very clean. I had housekeeping service every day except one when I had a "do not disturb" sign on the door. I usually leave housekeeping a gratuity wherever I travel, and was very happy to leave one on my most recent stay. My biggest complaint is how outdated the rooms are, but if they continue with the renovations, will have a very clean AND updated hotel. Actually, my only other complaint is that they do not have shuttle service. How could a hotel near the airport not have shuttle service?!

The staff was amazing. I have to say, they were very attentive and happy to help. Any downside to the hotel can be overlooked by how helpful and gracious the staff is. There is a front desk assistant there named Bradley that was probably one of the best "hotel people" I've ever dealt with. They are lucky to have him.

Of course no place is perfect, but with a few more updates and shuttle service, this place would be top notch. I had no problem with keys, housekeeping, or any other complaint I see for this hotel. Hopefully, I didn't just have a lucky stay; I will be back next year.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CalGovt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Hampton Inn Dulles-Cascades
Hyatt Place Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport
Courtyard Dulles Town Center

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles? Share your experiences!