WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Western New York
“Not up to Marriott standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

We are Marriott Elite members so we stay exclusively at Marriott properties. This one was a disappointment. The women who checked us in wasn't very friendly or good at her job. Her kids were there using the lobby computers. She managed to mess up our reservation so that I had to make 3 trips back to the lobby just to get settled in. The rooms were dirty and the workmanship was shoddy at best. The smoke detector was literally hanging from the ceiling by it's wires. Didn't have linens for the sofabed and had to go get them ourselves since the front desk person told us she was the only one on and couldn't leave. Breakfast was a joke. One small counter, wouldn't even qualify it it as continental. Won't stay at that Marriott again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jndallen1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Spring, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

The hotel staff and house keeping were great! The hotel is an older facility, but is very well maintained. The only item needing attention is the gross over use of air freshner. I had to open the windows in the room some days to clear it out. The breakfast was very nice. There was no meat if that's what you're looking for. There was plenty of English muffins, bagels, cereals, apple and orange juice, apples, oranges and bananas - which I personally prefer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Clarksboro, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I bid on this hotel through priceline and received a very good price. Having said that, I was very pleased with this hotel regardless of the price. It was easy to access, was near the Giant Super Market and restaurants. I would be very happy to stay at this hotel for the price paid in the future and possibly more. The room had a full size refrigerator, microwave, oven, range, and dishwasher, and a flat screen TV. In addition the hotel was quiet and offere a free continetal breakfast, as well as free coffee all day. The hotel had excellent quality for a mid-grade hotel which I would rnak as a 3 star hotel. This is a great 3 star hotel for extended stays.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

Good location, near shopping, library, restaurants; kitchen well-supplied; no dresser, just small bed stands; very small grounds but there is large area for dogs to run nearby at NoVA Community Collge; breakfast mostly starch (donuts were moldy one morning); attendants at desk OK but manager was a little intimidating; $100 fee/stay for dogs so not good for short stays

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

I've read some of the bad reviews on here and I'm a little surprised that their stay was not satisfactory. I travel to the DC area one time a year for two weeks in April for business. I stayed at this location last year and, because of the peace and quiet and distance to restaurants, decided to return. Last years stay was ok, but this year was much better! I was informed that the management had changed recently and I could certainly tell.

For one, there had been renovations to the rooms, which were nice. I agree with some of the complaints about about the hotel being outdated. The rooms just look, well...old! But they had redone the bathrooms and (as the staff told me...who knows) are going to continue with renovations until the entire hotel is done. Also, the place was very clean. I had housekeeping service every day except one when I had a "do not disturb" sign on the door. I usually leave housekeeping a gratuity wherever I travel, and was very happy to leave one on my most recent stay. My biggest complaint is how outdated the rooms are, but if they continue with the renovations, will have a very clean AND updated hotel. Actually, my only other complaint is that they do not have shuttle service. How could a hotel near the airport not have shuttle service?!

The staff was amazing. I have to say, they were very attentive and happy to help. Any downside to the hotel can be overlooked by how helpful and gracious the staff is. There is a front desk assistant there named Bradley that was probably one of the best "hotel people" I've ever dealt with. They are lucky to have him.

Of course no place is perfect, but with a few more updates and shuttle service, this place would be top notch. I had no problem with keys, housekeeping, or any other complaint I see for this hotel. Hopefully, I didn't just have a lucky stay; I will be back next year.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CalGovt
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

My stay at this hotel in 2009 was much better. It's no longer up to Marriott standards, especially the housekeeping. Apparently daily housekeeping is a thing of the past. During my 7 night stay, housekeeping came to my room three times. The sheets and towels were changed only once and the bed made twice. I don't think the counters or tables were wiped down or the room vacuumed. Housekeeping didn't unload the dishwasher or remember to leave detergent. It felt like a cheap hotel and Marriott is usually very nice. Having clean sheets and towels, and the garbage pickup up daily is something I thought I could count on with Marriott. The management seemed defensive when I brought my concerns to their attention. Like several other guests, I had problems with the key cards and had to get them reactivated every other day. I love Marriott, however, my next stay will be elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my family for 4 days. We had booked 5 days (paid for 4 days and got 1 free), but in the end changed to a different TownePlace Suites (near the airport), giving up the free day, and was much more satisfied with that hotel. There were a number of reasons why we switched. The hotel room wasn't cleaned too well. The ceiling above the shower was especially filthy. They also ran out of towels one day and on another, ran out of shampoo and conditioner as well. They are not well stocked with supplies. Lastly, their key card system is outdated. We had to get our key cards reactivated every day because they never worked. One time we had to get it reactivated 3 times in 1 night for it to work. The front desk personnel claimed it was because our cell phones erased the activation key code and it happens all the time, yet it has never happened to me in any hotel I've been at which makes me think their system is outdated. The only good thing is that some of their front desk personnel are friendly and helpful. Otherwise, the hotel needs to be badly cleaned and updated. Overall, if you're staying for 1 night, this place if ok. If more than 1 night, be prepared for a lack of supplies and getting your key card reactivated nightly. TownePlace Suites is a franchise, so each one is different. I suggest traveling to the airport TownePlace Suites instead. The hotel there is much newer and better.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family