“More than Sushi”

Aoba Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 247 Restaurants in Sterling
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I enjoy sushi occasionally, but it's not a favorite with me.

Having Yakitori, ( grilled chicken threaded on a skewer ), reminds me of the stands outside the train stations when I lived in Japan several years ago. It's a great appetizer.

And Aoba did a wonderful job with the Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura. Presentation is important in any cuisine, and the tower of crisp, lightly battered shrimp looked like a Teepee crowned with an onion ring. The taste fulfilled the promise.

The entree was accompanied by soup, salad, and a bit of seasoned tofu.

I chose a large bottle of Japanese beer, Kirin Ichiban, my favorite.

"Ichiban" means "Number One". The service was as great as the food and Aoba was Number One for me.

There are newer reviews for Aoba Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed April 18, 2012

We love Aoba. It's not often that we go out for sushi, but when we do it's almost always to Aoba. They have excellent service and their food is creative, fresh and sooo good. Like most sushi restaurants they have specialty rolls and we've had some great ones over the years. Always reliable, clean and yummy.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Well this is a great place. Fresh fish, friendly service and a wonderfully small and cozy atmosphere. My wife and I both loved this place. I would put it on my top 5 restaurants in Northern Virginia without a doubt.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

Soup was nice- hot and good value. However, of the 3 maki rolls I had, two had rice that was probably 3 days old and one, the spicy tuna, I had to send back. Was brown ish in color. Small place and the service was fine, but in the end, I wouldn't go back.

Reviewed October 31, 2009

The service was prompt and friendly. The sushi was delicious, fresh. However, as we were leaving my husband went to the restroom. He encountered the sushi chef in there and noted that he did not wash his hands after relieving himself. How do you get over that visual? LOL Yes, he may wash them in the kitchen, but still, you are making sushi! WASH YOUR HANDS! I think we will stick with Noku in Lansdowne.

1  Thank Suzibell