The Inn at Vaucluse Spring
Comfort Inn(Stephens City)
$77
$73
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $84/night.

$95
Motel 6
Wayside Inn(Middletown)
$95
$93
Sleep Inn & Suites(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$72
$68
SleepInn
$101
$55
All reviewsmanor housethe main houseshenandoah valleychumley homeplacerelaxing weekenddietary restrictionsbed and breakfastjones roomwonderful hostsback porchnorthern virginiawinter kitchenwe've stayedeach morningperfect staybreakfast was deliciouscommon areas
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Amazing B&B. Careful attention to excellence in every regard.

Chef Adam is superb. Neil and Barry are great hosts and make the experience even more special.

If you're the active outdoorsy type, do the Signal Knob circuit hike (10.5 mi, 2000 vert feet). It's very close and gives an amazing view up the Shenandoah Valley.

Room Tip: Gabriel Room was great, but I imagine they _all_ are!
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I stay at Vaucluse every summer for a weekend, but thought we'd take advantage of Barry & Neil's wintertime offer of a one-night stay. The grounds, but not the roads, were covered with snow--a setting that contributed to a serene feeling of being in a winter-wonderland. Neil was cooking this weekend and the meals were heart-and-stomach-warming wonderful. The other guests were into the spirit of cozy as well, and we enjoyed some great conversation in front of the fireplace. Wish we had stayed the entire weekend!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank klarely
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We recently spent a weekend at the Inn to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. As first-timers, we had few expectations, leaving our three teenagers in charge at home (another first) and aiming for the Shenandoah Valley. Upon arrival, Neil greeted us in a low key, yet familiar way that made us feel as if we were long-time guests. Neil informed us that dinner was at 7:00, but that it was a tradition for guests to have a bit of social time just before at 6:30. Neither of us were really in the mood for that, and it was of course optional, but we overcame our need to hibernate and showed up to enjoy some excellent mulled wine and chat with fellow guests.

The first three couples we met had been to the Inn several times over the past decade or more. One couple from the Philadelphia area drove 4 hours to come to the Inn. I asked them why they came here when there were certainly nice places much closer to where they live. He looked at me earnestly and said" "I can't seem to relax anywhere else like I can here." Another couple had brought with them old friends, to introduce them to the Inn at Vaclause Spring.

I thought to myself: "You can't buy this kind of advertising." What is going on here? A secret society? Funny hats after hours? Code signs?

Barry then appeared and proposed a series of toasts. Our group gathered around, while Barry welcomed old guests and new, and made a series of brief eloquent toasts, honoring the season, our country and those who serve in its defense. Barry was straight out of a Currier and Ives print that might = be called - "The Inn Keeper." l looked at the circle of faces, at Barry, all with glasses raised high, and a genuine warmth, a community of guests in place and time grounded the moment.

Neil had informed us when we made our reservation by phone that she would be cooking the night we were there because Adam, the regular chef was off. She said the theme would be "comfort food," and mentioned a beef stew with corn bread. After enjoying Neil's creation, I can only say this was not comfort food. Cracker Barrel is comfort food. Neil's offering was high cuisine, delightful, comforting yes, but very nuanced. She is a gifted, sophisticated chef.

We had hoped for the log cabin but this was booked. We ended up in the Gallery, and found it very comfortable. A fireplace upstairs, a fireplace downstairs. No TV - a Godsend to the video addicted. Quiet. A roaring fire, wind in the eves, mid-winter ink out the evening window. Yes, tranquil.

We will be back.

1  Thank Cathy W
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I do not know where to start. When we arrived at The Inn at Vaucluse Spring, we were greeted, first by Neil and then a few minutes later by Barry. They have owned the Inn for many years and from our experience, they always greet their guests with a warm welcome and a sense that you are special guests. We have stayed there for a number of years and I must say that a few of the reviews I have read below, do not do justice for the warmth, service and excellent food they provide. I cannot believe that any one would not find Barry charming and sincere; I can believe that if you are over demanding, or park wrong, then, you might want to find a hotel and not a charming Inn in this area. I have read about the "stink bugs" and the problem one guest encountered. I have to reply that they have "invaded" the northern and western part of Virginia and you can try and trap those in or around the rooms you are in (which we have been doing in our home.....but, they find a way to come in anyway. It has nothing to do with the innkeeper or the house-keeping. It has to do with an invasive species that can get in to a house very easily. We are still picking up "stink bugs" in our house and it is the 10th of January). When you are considering a B&B or an Inn in the area of Winchester, Stephens City, Middletown or any where near Front Royal, you should consider The Inn at Vaucluse Spring as a special place. If you want a nice motel, there are plenty in Winchester or Front Royal. However if you want to spend a night or two in a super place (especially around New Year's Eve) you might want to consider The Inn at Vaucluse Spring. I did forget to mention the chef at Vaucluse.........Adam. We did spend New Year's Eve night there and had a very nice dinner...but New Year's Eve was a special event with a 6 course dinner; and my wife and I agree that the beef tenderloin was about the best we have had. It was a small but nicely done piece of beef (we are not big eaters so this was fine for us) and with the other courses, was just right.

We stayed in The Thornton Room in The Winter Kitchen and it was a very nice, comfortable room (there were two other couples staying in The Barton Room and The Marshall Room so we had the "run" of the common room outside of the three rooms, and could sit in that area and turn on the hugh fireplace and enjoy each other's company).

In a nut shell, no place is perfect, and some people will find something wrong with anywhere they stay.......but I would recommend this place as a great to stay, eat and meet the owners!

Room Tip: It depends on if you are a couple traveling and want privacy, then you may want to stay ......oh, you can stay in any of the rooms. If you want a special room, then stay in the upper rooms of The Manor House. If there are two or more couples, then The Winter Kitchen or Chumley Old Place would do nicely.....I would suggest The Winter Kitchen Rooms.
1  Thank yellowstone1
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I first went to the Inn in 1996 when we were working in Washington D.C. and saw an article in the Washingtonian Magazine about "get aways". We went and loved it. We went at least once a year 'til 2000 when we move to the west coast. On trips back east to visit family, we have taken a couple of side trips to visit our old friends, Neil and Barry. Our son proposed to his wife there and was married there, too! Getting the drift. This is just the most beautiful, relaxing, and comfortable place to spend time. The hosts are wonderful and there are so many choices of accommodations that will suit all tastes. Thanks Barry and Neil!

1  Thank ddbmtw
VaucluseSpring, Owner at The Inn at Vaucluse Spring, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thanks so much. We have some wonderful memories with you and your family as well. It was great to see you again! Glad you could work us in to your East Coast trip.