“Classy & modern with great perks!”

Holiday Inn Express Winchester South
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stephens City
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Highlights: very clean bathroom, shower with curved rod for more space.
Nicely decorated room with free wifi, fridge, microwave, comfortable & clean beds with a choice of "firm or soft" pillows. Reminders to be "green" & not wasteful of resources.
Free newspaper, hot breakfast options (pancakes, eggs, sausage, hot cinnamon rolls), oatmeal, cereal, fruit, yogurt & drinks.
There is a small fitness room & an outdoor pool (open until the beginning of Sept.)
Checkout is noon! And there is a "fast pass" check out option they slide under the door.
I would absolutely stay here again! Beautifully maintained, decorated, and focused on customer satisfaction!

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel on our way to our vacation. Having stayed in many Holiday Inns through the years, we thought this would be our typical routine stay. Holiday Inns have been renovating many of their hotels and this is one of them; unfortunately a new decor does not automatically make for a great stay. I had booked this hotel a couple of weeks before our trip - a nonsmoking room, 2 queen beds (There were 3 of us). When we arrived at 11 pm on the night of our stay, we were told the hotel was booked and it was a good thing we had a reservation. We received the key and proceeded to our room...only it wasn't the room we had reserved. It was a handicap room with 1 king bed and a sofa! My husband checked at the desk and was told that they had "upgraded" us from a smoking, 2 queen room. They had not said anything when we checked in. There were no other rooms available, so we had to make due. When I took my shower in the morning, the tub was extremely slippery - there was no grip! We didn't have our daughter take a shower because I was afraid she would fall. When I asked at the desk to speak with a manager, I was told they were off until Monday! (This was a Saturday morning). No management on the weekend?? I filled out a complaint form and have yet to hear from them. This was over a week ago. Due to this experience, we changed our reservations for the trip home, and we did not stay at another Holiday Inn. We were very disappointed and would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester South, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear oceangirl59,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Easy check in and prompt service. With the Breakfast area off the lobby and the access to the pool in the breakfast area, it was extremely crowded and loud. Couldn't enjoy my coffee. There wasn't enough space for the guest and the hotel was far from being full. The rest of the stay was great. Very friendly staff and very clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Heather M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Winchester South, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Hello Gale D,

Thank you for your review and the opportunity to host you at our property this August. We do get a bit busy in the summer, and we apologize that the traffic in the lobby was distracting. We are happy that you enjoyed the rest of your stay at that our staff took good care of you. We hope to see you again in the future.

The Team at the Holiday Inn Express Winchester-S (Stephens City)

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stay at Holiday Inn Express Hotels frequently. In fact, on this stay, I used some of my priority points to get the room. The hotel appears to be fairly new, although I would say it's at the lower end of the scale in terms of luxury level for all Hoilday Inn Express Hotels. It is very bare-bones with a small lobby, very small breakfast area on one side of the lobby. The room was spotlessly clean, although it was sad to see how poor the workmanship was by the builders and how they used very cheap low-end fixtures in the bathroom. A major water leak above my room did serious ceiling damage. But none of this interfered with my stay. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows were quite lumpy, not up to other HIE standards. The breakfast the next morning was very spartan. The manager was extremely conscientious and nice to me when I had a question. I would stay here again if passing through this way, but not sure I'd pay the rates, since I feel the rates are high for the amenities/facility.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Dear agmom98,

Thank you for your review and your loyalty to the Holiday Inn Express brand. We are happy that you were able to utilize your Priority Club Points for your stay. I am sorry that your experience at our property was not up to your satisfaction. Our guest survey scores place us in the 90th percentile for Holiday Inn Express hotels across the United States. Also, we pay very sensitive to our rate structure and always strive to provide our services at a value to our customers. We apologize that this was not the opinion you had of our property. We would love the opportunity to host you again to improve upon our presentation and services to you. Thank you for taking the time to review.

The Staff at the Holiday Inn Express Winchester-S (Stephens City)

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This not a very old hotel, but it feels like it needs a bit of tlc. When we were there, the pool and lobby were full of noisy kids which made us want to retreat to our room fast. The rooms are standard holiday inn fare, nothing more. Reasonably clean and comfortable. Our telephone did not work, but they didn't really care downstairs. The area is quiet.

Room Tip: Stay as far away possible from the incredibly noisy pop machine and elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello RecentlyRetired 2012,

Firstly, congrats on your recent retirement. I apologize that your stay with us was just "Ok". We just recently finished a complete hotel renovation where we replaced much of our furniture, bedding, carpeting, ect. We strive to provide our valued guests with a clean, comfortable, and reliable lodging experience. We are very sorry that we fell short of this expectation for you. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future to demonstrate our continued efforts and commitment to guest satisfaction.

The Team at the Holiday Inn Express Winchester-S (Stephens City) VA

Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family (2 adults, 2 children) spent one wonderful night at this hotel. The manager greeted us weary travelers at midnight with a genuinely warm attitude, followed by much-appreciated waters and snacks, and offered (without having to ask, beg or barter) to give us a late-checkout because we were so late getting in). She also offered to get us a late complimentary breakfast in case we weren't up in time for the 10am breakfast deadline. When we travel through this area again we will absolutely stay at this hotel again. Clean hotel, clean rooms, clean pool, and AMAZING customer service....the kind of customer service that I was starting to think had gone extinct long ago.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jen R
Heather M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Winchester South, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Hello Jen R,

Thank you for staying with us this August and for the kind review. We are happy to serve and appreciate you selecting our hotel. Safe travels and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Take care,
The Team at the Holiday Inn Express Winchester-S (Stephens City)

Reviewed August 15, 2012

In all my travels I have never stayed at a cleaner Hotel. Everyday when I came back to my room it was absolutely immaculate. It was as if I was the President of Holiday Inn. The staff was also incredibly professional and friendly. I have never reviewed any Hotels before but this place was so nice I felt compelled to let them know how much I appreciated the super clean room.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Heather M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Winchester South, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear stevegroot,

Wow, thank you so much for the review. We are proud of our staff for their commitment to detail and service. We want all of our guests to feel like the “President of Holiday Inn!” Thank you for selecting our property during your visit to Winchester, VA. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again in the future.

Take care,
The Management Team at the Holiday Inn Express Winchester- S (Stephens City)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stephens City
Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows
Wayside Inn
Wayside Inn
#1 of 3 in Middletown

Been to Holiday Inn Express Winchester South? Share your experiences!