“Very Relaxing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Steeles Tavern
Osceola Mill Restaurant, B&B and Cabins
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed in the B&B for 2 nights with 2 other couples. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the food was very good. Kevin and Kim were very good hosts. We all had a great time with wonderful hikes to the falls and to Lexington. I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 21, 2012

The owner said the house is 200yrs+ old and it shows. It creaks and squeaks at every movement; it is way too small for a restaurant and a B&B in the same house as noise and smell from the kitchen and restaurant cannot be avoided no matter which room you are in. Breakfast was uninspiring and the noise from the main road, a mere 10 feet from the premise can spoil your sleep if you are a light sleeper. I was not impressed at all and I would not go back for a night stay. It is a nice setting for a romantic dinner which would impress your date/partner even though the food might not.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank petitprince2000
Reviewed March 7, 2012

A couple of weeks ago, my boyfriend and I stayed at the Osceola Mill in the Mill Store Cabin room. I've taken pictures, but the pictures do not do the room or food justice. From the moment that I saw this inn I could tell that it was unique. Pulling into the driveway of the Mill, you can see a stream of water flowing from some type of attachment of the old Mill into a creek.

The main entrance of the inn is also where the restaurant is located. When we walked into the main entrance, my face lit up to see this cute little restaurant with a saloon style display case in the restaurant (when you take a right from the entrance) and an old style refrigerator (see pics). There is also another part of the restaurant on the left-hand side that seemed to be more formal.

We arrived at the inn not knowing what to expect, but we received a warm welcome from the inn keeper, Kevin. Kevin showed us to our room in the Mill Store Cabin--separate building from the main reception area where the restaurant is located as well as additional rooms. The Mill Store Cabin was very cute. It contained a stone fireplace and a jacuzzi on the right hand side of the fireplace, so it is possible to view the fireplace while taking a dip in the jacuzzi. I also like the set up of the jacuzzi as it is situated on a plat-form with two windows facing the woods and creek. There is a living room area with a couch in front of the fireplace and then a bed behind the couch. There is also a vanity area with sink and then separate bathroom with what seemed to be a new, modern, up-to-date shower.

After Kevin showed us to our room, we went to eat dinner which was from the Valentine's Day menu. The Valentine's Day menu was $65, which is a higher price than most dinners; however, I can honestly say, this was one of the best dinners of my life and completely worth it.

The dinner consisted of crab bisque soup which was spectacular (crab seemed to be cooked just right); crab stuffed mushrooms for appetizer; unbelievable salad containing berries, strawberries, orange and candied pecans on top of a bed of lettuce and delicious vinegarette; mango sorbet; seafood platter containing lobster, crab stuffed shrimp, large scallops, and oysters rockafellar; potatoes and snow peas; and lastly chocolate amaretto cake (they added ice cream on the house which was nice). We also ordered a very good bottle of pinot noir for only $18. I'm from the D.C. area and this type of dinner for just one person could easily cost $100 per person. However, what was even more impressive was the quality of the food--it was great!

When we were eating, I was wondering who the great chef was thinking that the chef HAD to be someone pretty reputable/famous. When we asked Kevin he said that the chef was his wife and she did not go to culinary school! We were both amazed. I hate to admit it but we seem to both be relatively picky eaters since it has taken us forever to find a couple of good restaurants in D.C. despite living in this area for about 6 years). The food at the Oseola Mill was spectacular and the presentation was beautiful. I had to take pictures of pretty much every dish. By the time the salad got around, I was already full but forced myself to eat almost everything because it was so good.

After dinner, we made it back to our room to enjoy the fireplace but went to sleep relatively quickly due to the wine. The next morning, I woke up early to get as much use of the fireplace as possible and then we headed over for breakfast.

Breakfast was also spectacular and included blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, unbelievable bacon (never had this type of bacon before--it was lean without much fat and pretty thick strips), caramelized bananas with whip cream on top. During breakfast, we had a great conversation with Kevin which was nice since we got to know him pretty well. Fortunately for us, we were the only ones at the Inn that weekend. I'm not sure how the mill wasn't completely booked given the beautiful rooms, great hospitality and food, but I was happy to have the place pretty much all to ourselves!

Pros: Great food!, beautiful rooms, unique atmosphere, friendly/welcoming/interesting inn keeper (Kevin)

Cons--not really a con but rather a consequence: You may have to work off the weight after eating this delicious food, but it's definitely worth it! If you have self-restraint, I suppose that won't matter. Alternatively, you could work off the food by going on a nice long hike in the beautiful woods - that would be the most ideal option and then there wouldn't really be a con.

Overall Conclusions/recommendations: I would definitely recommend the Osceola Mill to family and friends. This is great for a weekend getaway with a significant other or even a girl's weekend getaway. Can't wait to go back in the near future. However, I might try to wait until the weather is a little warmer so we can take some hikes to work off the delicious food. Warmer weather seems to be around the corner and I've been wanting to see Crab Tree Falls--can't wait!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kt k
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I are newly weds and we wanted a weekend getaway. Osceola Mill was just the place to do it. We instantly felt at home with the owners Kim and Kevin. The breakfast is WONDERFUL! The best part was the first morning I asked for some strawberries, the next morning my there was a big plate full of them waiting for my husband and I. Talk about treatment! We stayed in the Mill Stone Cabin. It was nice on a cold night to have the the soaking tub next to the fire place. The only comment I have about the cabin was the bathroom space is tight. The location of this B&B is perfect. We went into Staunton for a Massage and drove through Nelson county to visit the wineries and breweries on 151. The dinner is exquisite. I was so surprised that it was the Kim who was the cook. She frequently came out to check on us and whether or not our food was to our liking. We enjoy our breakfast chats with Kevin. Overall we had an excellent experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley K
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We just returned from our stay in the Mill Store Cabin for our anniversary weekend. The trip was wonderful, and the cabin, staff, and area in general exceeded our expectations! The cabin was very clean and cozy, with satellite TV, a DVD player, a comfortable bed, and a hot tub right beside a wood burning fireplace. Kevin and the rest of the staff were very friendly and down to earth, and provided helpful advice on the attractions in the surrounding area (skiing, crabtree falls, wineries). The included breakfasts were also terrific, as was the dinner we ate at the Oceola Mill Restaurant. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our visit, and would highly recommend the Oceola Mill Store Cabin and Restaurant!

Room Tip: The Mill Store Cabin was terrific
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Just returned from a fabulous weekend stay at Osceola Mill. My husband and I could not have picked a better place to celebrate our 15th anniversary. The cabin we stayed in was just what we were looking for. A cozy place to relax and reconnect. It was very clean, and the bed was very comfortable!! Kevin and Kim couldn't be any nicer and made us feel very welcome. The food was outstanding, both breakfast and dinner!! We hope to return in the spring!! We would highly recommend!!

Room Tip: The Mill cabin is very roomy with a great wood burning stone fireplace and jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Stayed here during a leaf peeping trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The accommodations at this family run inn were clean, quiet, and comfortable. I ate dinner as well as breakfast here and both meals were excellent. (Good thing I did some hiking on this trip or you would have had to roll me out of the car.) Hosts were very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Raphine
Howard Johnson Inn Lexington
Fox Hill Bed & Breakfast Suites

Been to Osceola Mill Restaurant, B&B and Cabins? Share your experiences!