Frederick House Hotel
HolidayInn.com
$64
$109
$93
Quality Inn & Suites(Staunton)(Great Value!)
$99
QualityInn
Sleep Inn Staunton(Staunton)(Great Value!)
$85
$155
$169
$161
Hotwire.com
All reviewssmall hotelapple raisincoffee mugsquichemenu printedthanksgiving weekendwaffleslarge bedroomprivate entrancewithin walking distanceblackfriars playhouseson's weddingbreakfast was deliciousmain buildingmusic festivalnew streetsitting area
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We just stayed here for 2 nights with another couple. Our rooms were beautiful and furnished comfortably and tastefully. All rooms have a/c and ceiling fans. It was quiet and right in downtown Staunton making it easy to walk everywhere. Breakfast is generous and tasty and included in the nightly rate. The only small complaints I would have are that our bathroom was a bit dark and the combination body/shampoo bar was terrible as shampoo. I tend to pack light and use the provided shampoos etc but next time will bring my own.
Highlights of our stay include chatting with owners Edy and Joe who gave us great recommendations, and a full day of scenic driving including where to eat and what to see, and the South Patio where we sat for hours drinking wine and enjoying the weather. Edy and Joe definitely make the stay worth it and you'll feel like family. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Amybunny27
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A wonderful time at Frederick House. The rooms.....and I have stayed in many on a number of trips to Staunton, have always been comfortable, clean and quiet. Evy and Joe have always been attentive to my needs as a guest. The breakfast menu is varied; always tasty, and always fresh. I highly recommend Frederick House to those traveling through VA.

Room Tip: Tell Evy and Joe what you do want...........
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

While visiting Staunton, Va, we stayed at this hotel which is made up of several buildings, two of which were former residences. We stayed in the Patrick House which is a lovely old home that has been renovated. Our room was upstairs and had once been, I would guess, a sleeping porch. It also had a separate living area with fireplace (which we did not need since it was 100+ degrees outside). The entire area and bathroom was very clean and certainly did not smell. I found the innkeepers to be friendly and helpful. I really cannot imagine them being "rude" as "Kentucky" describes. The "male innkeeper" is a more reserved person but not rude. Breakfast was very tasty and it was rather funny seeing people reading their coffee mugs as that is where the menu is printed out......novel idea. They don't pour your coffee until you've looked at it, so don't worry. I can't imagine these innkeepers as "not caring" . I think many people do not understand serious allergies (I have one to shellfish). They do not realize that even the slightest taste could touch off a reaction. It is better for those of us who have them to explain the possible dangers.
The only thing I did not like were the towels. We could not tell if it was the way they were washed or the towels themselves. They almost felt like they are made from recycled material which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they felt slippery almost and as if they would not dry you off well. A hand-towel in the bathroom next to the sink instead of a washcloth would be nice too.
I would definitely recommend Frederick House, and it is close to everything. We did not move our car after we parked it at arrival. So nice to walk to things.

Room Tip: There are pictures online of the rooms. Check them out and request one.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I guess I've been spoiled by the B&B we visit in Sevierville, TN (Berry Springs Lodge is the BOMB) But I was shocked and appalled at our inn keepers' behavior. We got to our original room and it smelled how I put this gently....like someone had died in there. I called the front desk and the male inn keepr said Wow this is the first time I've heard this. Not that I don't believe you or anything.

BUZZZZZZZ wrong answer. Not sure what school of customer service you went to, but I'm pretty sure you'd get an F. How about I'm so sorry, let us get this fixed right away.

We pull around the front and they give us some round robin directions to get to another building. Thankfully my husband has a great sense of direction.

We were relocated to (The Patrick House) Which was really beautiful. I have to say the renovation on that property was top notch.

So we get to the breakfast the next AM and I had put on our reservation that we cannot have melon. My husband is severely allergic. We get our plates and there is melon on the plate. I specifically said we need a new plate; my husband cannot have melon he will end up in the hospital.

The inn keeper removed the melon and put the food that had touched the melon on a new plate, and my husband had a reaction shortly thereafter. Note to food servers everywhere. Food allergies are serious. It troubles me that this inn keeper didn't care about the well being of my husband. Shame on you!

Apparently not all B&B's are created equally. But once you've had it done right it's hard to accept anything less.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kentucky T
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I found Federick House by getting lost in Staunton. I am glad I did!

I had pulled off 81 about dinner time to find a place to spend the night as I was getting tired and did not to drive while sleepy. I was trying to find my way out of downtown when I was the sign for Federick House. I followed it to the parking lot and had the good fortune to be able to spend a night here.

The room was spacious. Although on the street, the bedroom was at the rear. Two windows in the bedroom opened to allow a cross-breeze and the ceiling fan was nice. The bed was very comfortable. I slept through the whole night without disturbance. The room had a large chest of drawers and a stocked bookshelf.

The living area (unexpected!) contained a desk and two large lounge chairs facing the TV. I would have loved to have these windows open as the sitting room did get stuffy without the AC on.

The bathroom was clean. I share a previous reviewers comment regarding the microfiber bath towels - I did not like them. I would have liked to see traditional terry. The water pressure was good. There was a hairdryer under the sink.

The Inn is well placed to head out exploring. It is close to Mary Baldwin College, the main shopping street, restaurants and the theatre. (Hit The Split Banana for dessert. Yummy!)

Breakfast the next morning hit the spot. The room was like a mini-United Nations. Guests from Japan, Belgium and Scotland were all tucking in. The service was personalized and excellent. The food good.

The Innkeepers are a lovely couple who are a joy to talk to. They remembered my interest in the Inn and in Shakespeare and had a little package for me the next morning to take upon departure with information. Upon check in they provided a map, a list of restaurants still open on a Monday night and marked out various points of interest.

I hope to be able to visit again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo