“a Cozy and warm home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 12 Staunton B&B and Inns
Charlottesville, Virginia
“a Cozy and warm home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

We spent a very wonderful night there. I planned this trip before as a surprise to my wife for her birthday, our anniversary. I tried to contact with the owner Eve about how she can help me to make it, and Eve was very nice and kind to help me for preparing the birthday cake and roses. As I requested, her staff Deana, also a very nice lady, brought the surprising cake after we got back to our room after dinner, which really surprised my wife. The next morning, the roses showed up during the best breakfast I've had in B&B inn, which became another surprise to my wife. They made my plan perfectly accomplished.
As the Inn at Old Virginia itself, the location is perfect, easy to find, 5 mins to downtown Staunton. It also has amazing view from the sunny dinning room. All the decorations are the style I like,every corner could be a beautiful picture. In the library you can pick your favorite movie from tons of DVDs and play in your room. Everything there just really makes you feel at home. Some packages may even include $50 gift card you can spend for dinner or shopping in downtown, as well as a bottle of wine and some yummy bread, isn't that amazing...
I'm very thankful for Eve and Deana's kindness and love they extended to people,they are not just running a business. I love the home feeling like we were staying at a friend's house instead of a room I rent in hotel or inn.
I will definitely go back to stay for weekend,escape,or vacation... will strongly recommend to my friends... because it is a cozy warm home!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Northeast PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

We felt at home as soon as we arrived. Our room in the main house was clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was served in a large sunroom at tables for 2 or for 4, which we loved. I do not enjoy having to make conversation with strangers at breakfast. The owner and the staff members were all helpful, informative and gracious.
This B&B is several miles from downtown Staunton, but we felt it was worth the drive.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rosesniffer
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

I cannot wait to return to the Inn at Old Virginia. The house is lovely and the rooms are beautifully decorated without being fussy. The bed in our room in the main house was a sleep number, so we could adjust the firmness. The house is spotless, as are the rooms and baths.
Breakfast is served in a glass conservatory overlooking pastures. We had quiche, homemade muffins, fruit, yogurt and great coffee.
Eve, the owner, was beyond helpful in making sure we knew our way around the town and surroundings and that we enjoyed our dinner out.
Staunton has attractions for everyone, from nearby hiking or farm visits to restaurants using local ingredients and the Shakespeare theater.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed for five nights at the Inn at Old Virginia and we loved it. The guest rooms were each decorated in beautiful fabrics and antique furnishings. I loved our room so much I want to decorate my bedroom at home like it. The Innkeeper, Eve, is such a lovely, down-to-earth person and made us feel at home and welcome immediately. She is also a wealth of knowledge about the area and recommended some great restaurants in Staunton. Getta, the cook made us mouth-watering breakfasts every morning. The Inn at Old Virginia is a must if you are in the Staunton area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We heartily recommend a stay at this inn, which we considered a serendipitous highlight of our one-week vacation.

We had chosen Staunton as a promising stopover convenient to I-81, but our expectations were far exceeded. Upon our Sunday early evening check-in, Eve, the innkeeper, very graciously showed us around and explained every point that might enhance our stay. We casually mentioned that we had an interest in the American Shakespeare Center but were under the impression that there were no performances on Sunday evenings. Eve said she thougt there might actually be an exception this week, and a performance that evening. She immediately checked the schedule, and told us there was a Sunday night performance of "Othello." She presented us with a map and marked it for us with the locations of the theater, a convenient and good restaurant, and easy driving directions from the inn. Eve's efficiency and eagerness to accommodate our desires were impressive and much appreciated.

We headed out, and husband and I went directly to the restaurant and ordered for the three of us, while our daughter walked the couple of blocks from the restaurant to the theater and got us rush tickets for the performance. We enjoyed a lovely dinner and a truly special performance that night, and also enjoyed walking through the charming town. It was a great evening, thanks to Eve's intervention.

The next morning we explored the Museum of American Frontier Culture before resuming our road trip.

Meanwhile, we had an absolutely lovely overnight at the inn, in a charming, spacious, and very comfortable room in the main house. A delicious gourmet breakfast, very graciously served, enhanced the next morning.

Should we pass that way again, we would absolutely return to the Inn at Old Virginia.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

My mother and I met in Staunton for a girls' getaway weekend, and the Inn at Old Virginia was the perfect place to stay. Although conveniently located on a major road not far off I-81, the inn feels secluded and quiet, set in lovely rolling farm country on beautifully kept grounds. We stayed in the main house, whose interior offers charming historic touches in an un-stuffy atmosphere. The conservatory/eating area and rear patios are a peaceful place to sit and enjoy a leisurely breakfast or second cup of coffee while looking out over the nearby pastures and stately trees. Our room was huge, clean and comfortable, with an updated and well-appointed bath. The room had plenty of space for the Select Comfort king-size bed, sofa, desk and charming antique wardrobe holding the TV. With only 2 guest rooms, the main house was private and quiet. We only got to peek in the windows at the 8-room barn out back, but the sitting area that we saw there looked wonderful with its vaulted ceiling, exposed beams, ample windows looking out at the countryside, and large fireplace.

With all these wonderful features, the best thing about the inn was the innkeeper, Eve. Her friendly and relaxed welcome made us feel at home, and she had the knack of always keeping in touch with what we were doing/what we might need without being clingy or obtrusive. It was delightful to talk with her about the area, her inn, recommendations for our visit, etc. She obviously enjoys her guests and does a great job of making them feel comfortable.

The ample breakfasts were the "icing on the cake." Each day began with a beautiful fruit plate garnished with yogurt and granola, followed by breakfast classics like waffles with sausage or scrambled eggs with bacon and hash browns. We did not go away hungry!

The trade-off for a country setting is that you have a short drive into town; if your heart is set on staying in the historic district, this is not the location for you. However, we loved the contrast between playing "in-town" and staying "out of town," and it's a very simple, straight shot (about 5-7 minutes) to drive into downtown Staunton.

I highly recommend the Inn at Old Virginia. Stay here. You will be glad you did!

• Stayed June 2010
Abingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights at The Inn at Old Virginia while we were visiting Staunton and Monticello and driving the Blue Ridge Parkway last month – and we were so glad we’d chosen it. The house is delightful – we stayed in the Barn in Thomas Lewis Harman Suite and it was really wonderful. Incredibly spacious, the most comfortable bed and a huge bathroom with Jacuzzi bath, just right for after a day’s sightseeing. The whole place is beautifully designed and our room even had a little balcony outside where we could sit and read and look over an idyllic pastoral scene of a small pond and cows grazing.

The breakfasts were wonderful too, and healthy and not over-rich. Great Banana and Granola pancakes one day, and a delicious yoghurt and fruit and granola concoction another, these were some of the best breakfasts we had in a month travelling in the States.

Eve is a delightful hostess and makes you so welcome – she’s interested in your travels and comes up with excellent recommendations. We ate one night at the Mill Grill and it was fabulous – best ribs I’ve ever ever had anywhere. And Deana is a so helpful as well, so we felt totally taken care of. The kindness and thoughtfulness and attention to detail is very impressive. For example Eve remembered on the second morning I’d asked for hot milk with my coffee and it was ready for me. Tiny touches like that lift somewhere from being lovely to being truly special.

In all, this was a restful and perfect stay in the middle of a long road trip, with fascinating places to visit and great food in Staunton. We ate at the Pampered Palate and the Cranberry Café as well, both excellent healthy deli food and also had organic ice creams from the Split Banana, don’t miss them!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staunton
Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center
MiddleRidge Bed and Breakfast
Stonewall Jackson Inn
Stonewall Jackson Inn
#1 of 4 in Harrisonburg

Been to Inn at Old Virginia? Share your experiences!