“schweinshaxe!!!”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We really enjoyed Edelweiss - the food, the service and the music. We were travelling over Thanksgiving and stayed the night in Staunton and our hotel had a pamphlet in the hotel lobby. We've travelled extensively in Germany and love German food. The food was authentic and plentiful. The special that night was ham hocks - aka schweinshaxe. Our party got the last two. It was the best schweinshaxe outside of Germany. I wish we lived closer.

4  Thank 2collegemom

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Located just off off I-81south of Staunton Va. is the Greenville exit. There you will find this quaint little German restaurant. The food was excellent with a nice selection of dishes and the sides served "family style". The service was great and the atmosphere added to the meal. The deserts were wonderful and it was hard to decide which to try. The portions were generous and the service was quick. The prices were affordable even for a family. We were fortunate to be seated downstairs and there is an upstairs section which is good as the place fills quickly in the evening. In warmer weather if you choose you can sit outside on the porch. We were there mid week after a day driving the Blue Ridge Parkway so an excellent end to a perfect day. I will surely make this a regular stop when I am in the area.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Tried for the first time last week. Great food, great atmosphere, awesome selection of beers, reasonable prices. You think you are in the mountains of Germany, not a mile off the interstate, I travel I-81 on business a lot in the fall and winter, plan to stop here on the way home EVERY time

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Cafeteria quality food at fine dining prices…not what we expected. The atmosphere was rustic and had a European feel and the waitress and waiter were friendly. We were seated immediately and our order was taken without delay even though the wait staff reported that they were short handed that night. We ordered the German Sampler (five meat dishes and three sides). To our surprise the food came to our table in less time than it would take to get a side salad. Several of the meat dishes were smothered in what tasted like Swanson style gravy, the string beans lacked flavor and tasted like they came from a can, and the spatzle was burned. Everything tasted premade and the temperature of each food item varied from lukewarm to microwave hot (the spatzle bowl was so hot that we could hardly pick it up). We can’t figure out why a unique place that claims to serve traditional German food has resorted to SYSCO style offerings.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

So, my mother and I take an annual road trip trek from Rhode Island to the southwestern part of Virginia nearly every summer. This past summer, when we were on our way back north, and looking for a dinner spot, I happened to spot a small "Edelweiss German Restaurant" sign on I-81. I'd seen the small signs plenty of times before and always wondered about the place.

I said, "What the heck," and veered off the I-81 exit this night. Well, I took a right off the exit and continued going straight about a mile or so before I realized that I must have missed another small sign for the restaurant! I had to get my GPS going to find my way back, and to the restaurant. I was just a little bit off the path, nothing serious.

Off of I-81N, it's a right off the exit and then a quick left if I remember right now. I missed that left turn completely initially.

As soon as we drove into the wooded parking lot, I got excited and knew we had just found a traveler's paradise. I was not wrong!

Outside the restaurant was a lazy cat sleeping. The restaurant is like a lodge from another era.

The dining room is small but so cozy because of its dim lighting and furnishings. An accordion player played all sorts if polka-like music while we dined. Or, should I say while we feasted!

My mother ordered a vegetable sampler dinner and I ordered the spinach pie. I am vegan so I asked if the spinach pie could possibly come without cheese, and it was no problem to make that fix.

We were overwhelmed at the amount of plates and food that came our way! I think we had 11 or 12 plates on the table at one point, including salads and rolls and our veggie dishes. It was incredible!

The spinach pie was unlike any I'd ever had. It was spinach layered between what reminded me of spongy thin pancakes. It was all fantastic!

Our bill came to just over $30 for the both of us, and it was well worth every penny, and we thought very reasonable for all that we were served. The wait staff was great and I already can't wait to go back someday. I will coordinate my travels so it coincides with their operating hours, coming and going, for sure!

Loved it!