“A must-dine if passing through”

Edelweiss Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 134 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We live about an hour away from the restaurant but every time we are traveling through the area we make it a point to stop. We always split the German Sampler which gives us a little bit of everything for only $10 per person. The food is consistent and delicious. Others hear have mentioned some items being canned and the bread being microwaved. I've witnessed the microwaving before (though typically it is tested) and just don't know enough about cabbage and such to tell the difference, but what I DO know is that I like it. And let's be real, even if a veg or two is from a can, don't we all use canned veggies in our own homes? If it tastes good it's not a deal-breaker for me.

Anyway we've probably been here half a dozen times over the last few years, which, when you consider we do not live nearby is pretty substantial. Staff is friendly, homemade desserts are amazing. Get the German Sampler and you can't go wrong.

There are newer reviews for Edelweiss Restaurant

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our second visit. We took rte. 81 not only to avoid some of 95 on our trip north from Fla to Mass but to eat at Edelweiss again. Though it was still very good, my Wiener schnitzel was quite thin and a little greasy. My husband's jaeger schnitzel was delicious just like last year. All the side dishes are yummy and don't miss the homemade rice pudding with meringue topping! Service was excellent and atmosphere is charming. The accordion player was a little testy I guess because we didn't applaud? We were too busy eating. We will certainly be back on our return trip south.
And to the previous reviewer who lived in Germany and said his rahmschnitzel wasn't crispy--well rahmschnitzel isn't breaded! Haha! Smarty!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Having lived for three years in Germany and been back several times to visit, I've had my share of good German food. I've been to Edelweiss twice before and was looking forward to a 'fix'. I was disappointed with the food taste and prep this time, though. Got in quickly - the hostess took us upstairs to a small room with four tables. One other couple was there and was very nice to talk to. Our Brazilian waitress struggled with the menu pronunciation but was trying hard. The bread was great hot and fresh. After that, It went downhill.

I ordered rahmschnitzel, which came on a big platter with green beans, rotkohl, sauerkraut and spatzle on the side. The schnitzel came as ragged edge slices and seemed like it was precooked and baked. No pork flavor at all. It had a tiny bit of breading on the middle but did not seem to be prepared as a two step dish with cream. The breading, if it was there at all, was not crunchy. The cream sauce was thin and watery, filling the platter and engulfing the schnitzel. A few large slices of mushroom lurked among the sauce, with no hint of wine or sherry, which could add some depth to the sauce. The taste was thin as well as it flowed through the fork and off the schnitzel. The beans were canned and the kohl was from a jar. The flavor was not bad, just not tangy or fresh tasting. The hazelnut cake was dry and size was on the thin side. I did not care for the icing as it reminded me of store bought birthday cake. Meh.

Totaled, the bill came to $85 or so for three, so it was not too bad. I have become more selective about restaurant food as I've learned how to cook. I have developed an appreciation and preference for freshly prepared food made for each customer. I know German food is not hard to make and can be very filling and satisfying. No today at Edelweiss. I don't know if I'll be going back. 'scuse me while I go get a snack - I'm hungry.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Very good food. We split the Taste of German platter and the sides ( there are so many) kept biding refilled this is all home style. I had the Grape Custard Pie. It was all so good, very dark inside but there is outside dining as well. I will most defbe back

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Great German food. Authentic beers and wines. Walter's treehouse is a thing of beauty, ask him to show it to you. The daily specials were less than $20.00, and you will have to take some home. Worth the trip and right off I-81 exit 213.