“Wonderful Historic Hotel in Downtown Staunton”

Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Staunton
Reviewed March 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Stonewall Jackson on a trip north to visit family and are glad we did. It is located in the heart of downtown Staunton with a parking garage next door - convenient walking distance to restaurants and clubs and the Wilson Library. It is a beautifully restored old hotel with a new wing. We stayed in a king on the old wing - while the room was a bit small, it was very nice with a great view and we were happy to be there. We had drinks in the lounge with a fireplace, a good buffet breakfast at 24 Market in the hotel, and were well rested and happy when it was time to hit the road again. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed February 28, 2011

I was scheduled to stay at this hotel a couple of days after Christmas. The whole east coast was bombarded with a horrible snow storm. Airlines were accomodating customers on non-refundable tickets...thats how bad it was. I contacted the hotel and spoke with Josh. I told him I was stuck and I would be a day late. I asked if he would be able to accomodate me due to the weather. He said no. I arrived a day late and stayed at the Holiday Inn. My warning: Dont anticiapte that this hotel is friendly and accomodating. Stay at the Holiday Inn...I have several times. I was foolish to attempt to stay at the Stonewall...I wont make that mistake again...and I'm encouraging others to do the same.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank jimiscan
StonewallJacksonMgr, Manager at Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

While we do not know the specifics of your travels based on your message, it sounds that you had a non-refundable rate and a major snow storm prevented you from visiting us. It is unfortunate that you phoned us to let us know that you would be arriving a day late and we would not accomodate that change. The only reason we can see turning you down would be that we were already sold out for the next night, but without knowing the details, we can only speculate. We have reached out to you through Tripadvisor and hope we can work together on correcting this error.

Reviewed February 20, 2011

Stayed over one night on our way to West Virginia during the presidential day weekend.
Do not rely on GPS as it will take you around the facility. Parking is underneath the facility. We stayed over one night with two young children. The room is way too small and it is not recommended for young children as the height of the bed is too high even for my 4 year old to climb up. We found fruit flies in our room as well as in the restaurant. There is no sound proof so that you can clearly hear your neighbor reprimending her young child. We had breakfast/parking package and the websit does not mention $12.95 per person for breakfast buffet and $4 for overnight parking. It is reasonably priced if you go through AAA member pricing.
Instead of breakfast buffet, get out to one of many adjacent restaurants and get a to go.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ddkmdFairfax_VA
StonewallJacksonMgr, Manager at Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Our guest rooms come in two different configurations, either a King or Two Queen size beds. There is no doubt that the rooms with the Kind Size beds are smaller in size. If traveling with children, I would go with the two Queen Beds. They are family friendly and are very spacious. Another great point you raised is with the GPS directions. For some reason, GPS units can not navigate around our small Southern city with a lot of one way streets. Our breakfast buffet is one of many options in town, you are more than welcome to get out and explore our city and visit one of the many charming coffee shops, what a great way to start your day!

Reviewed February 8, 2011

We bought the breakfast package and loved the room and the people were super nice my whole dang family got so sick we had to call at 2am for more sheets and towels they came right up they were so helpful from start to finish

• Stayed: January 2011

Thank you for your comments, we hope everyone is feeling better!

Reviewed January 27, 2011

I had not been to Staunton in decades, but I remember this hotel from when it had gone to seed. What a pleasure to see that it has been lovingly restored to its former splendor. There is a grand two-story lobby with a mezzanine that houses a restored Wurlitzer theatre organ. A cozy bar immediately to the right of the entrance welcomes all comers. A handsome function room and adjoining breakfast room off to the left are typical of the attention to detail brought about during the restoration process.
This hotel is part of the Historic Hotels of America branch of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Before and after photos are displayed in a case along the left side of the lobby. Snug rooms in the historic section have king size beds, and larger ones with two beds are in a new section above the parking garage, from which there is direct elevator access to the hotel lobby. My room and bathroom were spotless and completely quiet. The complimentary WiFi connection was fast and reliable, and breakfast was delicious and quite filling. A snack and soda station near the reception desk is a welcome amenity. I did not use the available indoor pool, hot tub or fitness center. In short, I could find no fault!
It's hard to talk about the hotel without mentioning the downtown Staunton area. The hotel is in the center of the historic red brick district, adjacent to the Blackfriars Playhouse (Shakespeare!) and city tourist office. The thriving downtown boasts independent coffee shops, restaurants and quaint retail stores and museums. The entire downtown area is architecturally distinctive and made handsomer by the recent bricking of sidewalks and burial of utility lines. The Woodrow Wilson birthplace, Mary Baldwin College and a silent film era movie house are all within easy walking distance, although a trolley service ferries foot-weary tourists all over town.
The Stonewall Jackson Hotel is a welcome alternative to the cookie cutter chain motels out by the interstate -- and offered for about the same price. Drive the extra 2 miles to the center of town and savor a special hostelry.
Footnotes:
Silent film star William Haines was born on New Street (the house still stands). He was the top male box office draw in 1930.
The city of Staunton was the first Virginia community to receive the National Trust for Historic Preservation's "Great American Main Street" award.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends

WOW! We are blown away from your review! Thank you for taking the time to craft such a wonderful response.

Reviewed January 25, 2011

As soon as I walked into the lobby, I knew I had made the right choice to stay at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel. It is absolutely beautiful.

Our room was lovely. Very comfortable bedding, very nice details. One thing I really appreciated was good quality towels instead of those thin things you often get in hotels.

The pool and spa area was very nice and immaculately clean. Very large nice pool. Large fluffy towels in the pool area. Although we did not use it, I could see the fitness center through the window. There was a large number of machines, not as many as a gym but many more than you usually see in a hotel, and they looked to be in good maintenance. Eveything looked clean and orderly.

Be sure to take the bed and breakfast package because the breakfast is fabulous! Plus it's very convenient to just come downstairs instead of going off in search of breakfast. Our first morning was a Friday, and so a la carte breakfast was offered. Our server recommended sweet potato pancakes. They were the best pancakes I ever ate! Saturday and Sunday there was a buffet with an omelet and waffle station. Outstanding omelet and perfect eggs over easy. Biscuits and sausage gravy were offered on the buffet....best sausage gravy I ever ate. And you're having breakfast in a very beautiful dining room with a beautiful view. What could be better? We considered the breakfasts to be a highlight of our trip.

There is also a restaurant that serves dinner. It looked like a nice little place, but we did not try it. Once we get out for the day we usually like to stay out until we're ready to call it quits. We usually like to eat outside the hotel and then just come back to relax and unwind for bed.

The staff at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel were top knotch. Every little need we had was addressed immediately. Ultra-professional personnel while at the same time friendly and committed to helping the guest--true Virginia hospitality.

It was a real comfort to know that every night we could return to a really nice hotel where we could be comfortable. It was a real treat to be relax in the pool/spa every night after a long day of sightseeing.

The location of the hotel is excellent also. Right in the middle of the historic Red Brick District, you can easily walk about town and see all the shops and historic sights. The Woodrow Wilson birthplace is not to be missed. Interesting little shops abound. Fascinating historic architecture everywhere you look. Try Cranberry's around the corner for delicious soups, sandwiches, and specialty coffees.

Blackfriars Playhouse is next door, home of the American Shakespeare Center. It purports to be an exact replica of Shakespeare's only indoor theatre. Word of warning: there are no proper theatre seats. The only seating is on benches. Some of them have a seat back attached. The last row has only the wall. The staff is very friendly and will offer you cushions. But if you have any kind of back problems or issues with sitting, you will be miserable. And if you sit in the balcony, you have to lean forward to see the stage.

Staunton is very close to many other places of interest. Lexington is about 45 minutes south. There you can see Virginia Military Institute, Lee's Chapel on the campus of Washington and Lee University, the home of Stonewall Jackson, Stonewall Jackson's grave and many other interesting sights. Lexington is a beautiful, historic town and well worth the visit.

Charlottesville is about 45 minutes to the east. The biggest draw there is Monticello which of course is incredible. Monticello absolutely must be on your bucket list. You can also tour Ash-Lawn Highland, the home of James Monroe (which was very interesting and beautiful although not nearly as grand as Monticello), and Montpellier, the home of James Madison (which we did not see). We did not care for the town itself, very shabby and rundown. And we did not like the much-touted pedestrian mall--again very shabby with homeless people hanging out.

We toured all these areas with the Stonewall Jackson Hotel as our base. We would love to come back in the summer or fall and explore back roads using the SJH as our base.

For dining in the area, we recommend the Byers Street Grill. Good food at reasonable prices. There is a sports bar downstairs and dining room upstairs. We had a divine pecan crusted chicken salad one night and so we went back again. My husband had meatloaf made from veal and chorizo--very spicy but delicious--and I had a prime rib sandwich to die for.

We also liked the Wright's Dairy Rite on the outskirts of town. It's an old-fashioned drive-in from the fifties. I thought Richie Cuningham and the Fonz would pop in at any moment.

We did NOT like Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant on the outskirts of town. We thought it was home-style Southern food, but mostly it was a generic diner. The only Southern food I saw on the menu was the special that night: Golden Fried Chicken. Unfortunately, the chicken was not golden. It was not even crispy--it was soggy and VERY greasy. It was the worst fried chicken I ever ate--even worse than KFC. The mashed potatoes and gravy were acceptable. I ordered turnip greens as a side dish and they were fantastic--just like my mother used to make. So at least one thing was good. Most glaring of all: not a biscuit or a piece of cornbread in sight. As a Southerner born and bred, I can tell you that a restaurant with no biscuits or cornbread can not call itself a Southern restaurant. That's a crime against nature.

But back to the hotel itself, I heartily recommend the Stonewall Jackson Hotel. It's beautiful, historic, a great place to unwind, and everything you need is there including a fantastic breakfast. Lots of shops and dining in the area. The immediate and surrounding area is beautiful with amazing sights to see. You can't go wrong with Stonewall Jackson Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a well thought out review of our property and our area! It is so nice to see that you really took the time to see all that our area has to offer, from restaurants to historical site. We can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed December 26, 2010

My husband and I stayed here in November 2010, in a room with one king bed. We booked ahead of time and so got the (nonrefundable) advanced booking rate of $92 a night ($84 plus taxes). The rate did not include breakfast.

The location is great--right in the center of Staunton. The room was comfortable, if a bit smaller than I was expecting, and not as luxurious. Everything was clean and the shower and bath worked well. The room was absolutely silent. I couldn't even hear people talking directly outside my door. The wireless always worked but during peak times it became rather slow. The fitness room was nice, but the pool was disappointing. The pool was much smaller than it looked on the hotel's website, and the entire pool room reeked of chlorine. The hot tub was also more of a warm tub. Other than the swimming facilities, the hotel was just fine, as long as you get the reduced rate. I don't think the hotel would have been worth the normal rate of $123 a night ($112 plus $11 in taxes), given that there are other perfectly reasonable hotels a bit further afield in Staunton that cost less than $75 per night.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
StonewallJacksonMgr, Manager at Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. While we are disappointed that we did not meet your expecations in regards to certain areas of the hotel, we are glad that your visit was an overall enjoyable one nonetheless.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Staunton
Best Western Staunton Inn
Quality Inn & Suites
#6 of 14 in Staunton
Hampton Inn Waynesboro / Stuarts Draft
Howard Johnson Express Inn Staunton

Been to Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!