“Night and Day”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Franklin, North Carolina
“Night and Day”
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

We had a late checkin. When we walked up to the counter, the young man didn't look at us or acknowledge our presence. My husband told him we had a reservation and he still didn't speak.
In the morning, the lady was very personable and even apologized that the glass in the room that my husband drank out of was not clean.
The hotel was beautiful and the
beds were very nice.
Our 2nd floor view was unimpressive but we didn't care much.
I would stay again but the night clerk needs to learn from the day staff how to greet a customer.

Stayed July 2014
Damon S, General Manager at Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I apologize that the check in experience did not meet expectation and will use the feedback to provide better training for our associates in the future. I am glad that you found the beds to be comfortable and the hotel beautiful. I welcome the opportunity to host you again whenever your travels bring you to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Amanda, Ohio
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I along with our two adult kids stayed here for 3 days. We were in town for a family reunion. We were in and out running and walking all over town. The staff were very friendly and gracious. The accommodations were clean and inviting. The amenities we used were nice(the pool and exercise room). We had stayed here again for the third time over several years.The only disappointment we had was the stinky trash smell in the parking garage.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for joining us again most recently for a family reunion. I am delighted to hear that you had time to enjoy the pool and fitness center while also spending time in the lovely downtown area of Staunton. I apologize for the odor from the parking garage and assure you that this has been taken care of. Please join us again for your next family gathering!
Portsmouth, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 41st wedding anniversary here. We were greeted with a bottle of champagne that was delivered to our room. The room was airy, clean, and comfortable, with a view of the mountains. We purchased the package, which included parking, fantastic breakfast buffets, and a play at the adjacent Blackfriar Playhouse. The hotel is downtown, so everything was in walking distance. The history, culture, shopping, and campus of Mary Baldwin campus make for the perfect weekend experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am honored that you chose to join us for such a special occasion. I always enjoy hearing of guest celebrations and look forward to making each a memorable experience. I agree that the area is stunningly beautiful with picturesque mountain views and wonderful places to visit all within walking distance of the hotel. I hope we will have the opportunity to host you again for a relaxing weekend or special celebration in the future.
Berryville, Virginia
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 days for an event in Staunton. The hotel is spotless, very clean. I ordered room service one day and it was delicious (French toast). The staff is very friendly & superb cleaning staff. In walking distance of many places in downtown Staunton. Only cons were the $6 parking & the beds were a bit hard. Highly recommend!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for joining us at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel & Conference Center. I am glad that you found the rooms to be clean and the staff to be hospitable during your stay. I also agree that the french toast is a must have when ordering room service breakfast here! We all look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed two nights during our stay in Staunton. The hotel and staff were wonderful and the location lends itself to exploring downtown Staunton. In fact is is right next to the Blackfriar's Theater. The hotel offers a number of weekend and other specials…so check their web site before booking (for instance, our special included in/out parking and breakfast). Would definitely stay here again when visiting Staunton.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Staunton on a recent trip. The area is delightful and allows for great opportunities for exploration all within walking distance. Please visit again the next time your travels bring you to the area.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I spent the night after seeing "A Comedy of Errors" at the Blackfriars next door to the hotel. It was a wonderful experience. The room was spotless, the service was excellant, and the food was very good. I plan to go back with my family so they can share in the experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Cori B
Taking in a show at the Blackfriars is a wonderful way to spend an evening in Staunton, VA and even better when you get to spend the night at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel & Conference Center! Thank you for joining us and I look forward to welcoming you back when you bring the rest of the family.
York, PA
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Spontaneously stayed there while traveling south on I-81; were fatigued and needed a place to stay. Were we in for a pleasant surprise! This hotel is on the national historic register!
The entrance to the hotel is complicated to find, so don't give up. We unloaded the suitcases and my husband had to park in a nearby garage ( at no cost).
The lobby is historic and extremely interesting and beautifully decorated. Check out their website to see the gorgeous lobby. Old historic china is displayed in the glass wall displays. Hotel staff were extremely helpful.
Elevators available, very short wait.
Hallways were old and historic.
Rooms were a bit small, but quaint and clean. Coffee maker in the room and well stocked with tea bags, sweetener, etc.
Because of the size of the room, I wouldn't stay there for a week - just not enough room to spread out. For our overnight stay ( and then back to the interstate), it was just fine.
In the morning before leaving, we had a huge and delicious breakfast in the hotel dining room. Great ambiance and good food.

Would definitely stay there again - pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Valerie S
Damon S, General Manager at Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Spontaneous trips often times turn out to be the best or the ones with the most memories so I am glad you found us during your travels on Interstate 81. The hotel, which originally opened in 1924, went thru a complete renovation in 2005 that added additional function space and guest amenities such as the indoor pool and fitness center. The Stonewall Jackson Hotel & Conference Center still maintains its original charm and mystique while also providing guests modern convenience such as complimentary wifi. Thank you again for finding us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!