“Lovely and professional”

Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel & Conference Center for 3 days for a business conference. It was very professionally handled, very smooth, no hitches at all.

My room was ready much earlier than check in and I was able to unload my bags early. There were no luggage carts in evidence, and no staff to assist with unloading, so pack lightly. The room was beautifully done. I didn't notice the size of the room being any less than more traditional hotels - I had a king size bed, a side chair, and a loveseat comfortably in the room. The heat was very responsive and I could lower the temp to what suited me. The only issue I had with the room was that there was no bathtub, only a shower. When I realized this I thought it would not matter, but later wished I had asked to change to a room with a tub. (Since the hotel was sold out due to our conference, by the time I realized this, it might not even have been possible.)

A lovely breakfast buffet was included with the room. My only issue with this is that the breakfast room was set up with very large tables, obviously intended to allow for conference participants to mingle during breakfast. My preference in the morning is for more quiet time to read the newspaper or watch the news while I gather myself for the day, and this was not possible in this setting where we were essentially required to be at tables with 8-10 others for breakfast. There were no smaller or individual seating options. They also ran out of newspapers at the front desk very quickly - one day I got the last paper, and the second day, even though I came down during the first hour of a 3 hour breakfast window, the newspapers were already gone. There was a room service option for breakfast, although I did not want to pay extra for it when breakfast was already paid for.

The hotel took care of amenities very well - self parking is a $4 daily charge, and it includes unlimited comings and goings. It is conveniently located with an elevator from the parking decks into the hotel lobby. Also, wireless internet is complimentary with the room. There is an indoor pool which I did not use as I had neglected to bring a suit.

Personal preferences: the bed was harder than I like, and the pillows were harder than I prefer as well, so I was very happy to get home to my softer bed and pillows. If you need a soft pillow, best bring your own.

The Stonewall Jackson is very conveniently located with several nice restaurants within walking distance. Overall, I'd stay there again on personal trips and I would love to attend another conference there.

Room Tip: ASK for a bathtub if you like one; they are not in all rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 5, 2012

If your looking to relax and enjoy good food and entertainment without traveling aloty this is the place to stay. Being it is a remodeled 1920 era hotel, the rooms are a bit small compared to todays boxes. Just remember at that time period there was no tv, radio, ipods/pads, internet or any thing to entertain you int your room besides sex. The rooms are clean, comfortable, well lit and well appointed. The hotel public ares are well done. Breakfast buffet was worth the cost. But the great part of this place is location. Plenty of places to eat just about anything you would care to eat. Plenty of entertainment, museums and shopping within short walking distance. And while your walking enjoy the older streetand some great looking hotels. If that's not eneough, then theres always sex in the bit of a small room. It's a great place to stay and it would be hard to find a better staff at your service. Watchout for all the oneway streets

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A beautiful stop - we've been here twice - and they are pet friendly. Great music on Tuesday nights if you happen to be there then! Walk around the corner to eat at Zynodoa. One of the best meals ever!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

While traveling the football combine circuit we were pleasantly surprised to find a luxurious oasis in Staunton! The Stonewall Jackson is beautifully restored and offers exceedly comfortable bedding. The menu was top notch, but the town is replete with other gourmet offerings as well as a Shakespearean Theatre! Consider spending Easter weekend there as the town has a "Bunny Trail" which the well-appointed youngsters followed with glee! You won't regret the Sunday Brunch!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Centrally located and steps from the Shakespeare theatre, this lovely hotel is historic but not dated very comfortable rooms. The staff went out of the way to be helpful. Covered parking. Lots of events such as wedding receptions. Easy walking to Woodrow Wilson house and museum and charming downtown. It was a terrific location for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Our first Wildlife Center of Virginia gala at the historic Stonewall Jackson Hotel was fabulous. The hotel is easy to locate, thanks to very large signage above the hotel.

Drop off, registration and parking were quite easy. Both rooms were quite clean. We found them a smidge small but comfortable. The sheets were crisply clean and felt wonderful to sleep upon.

The gala set up was easy to traverse between the open bars, auction items and light food offerings. The lobby and bar area provided seating for those weary of standing.

The dinner offerings of crab cakes or steak were acceptable. The steak was was served a little cool BUT it was so tender, it could be cut with a fork.

The dessert offering was divine. Four small desserts on one plate. Yum, yum, yummy.

A lovely hotel, welcoming staff, clean rooms, etc. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel - a historic building, spacious, nicely refurbished, central location, and welcoming staff. It's classified as a three star and I would say it's an excellent 3 star. There are no bell boys and doormen but you get good value for money here (on a Monday night anyway) and we booked the breakfast inclusive rate on the hotel's website.

The front desk boys were welcoming, efficient and friendly and booked us a table for dinner at the very interesting and close by - "Mill Street Grill". Our room was high and quiet as I'd requested and it was well appointed. The internet was complimentery and unlike some others, we had no trouble with it and had enough bandwidth to skype. If I had to nit pick I would say that I was slightly disappointed with the view which I requested and it should have been better. But as the room had only one window, it was a little restricted and dark. Nevertheless I would return and recommend it to others simply because it delivered 99% of everything we expected and exceeded our expectations in some other areas.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staunton
Best Western Staunton Inn
Quality Inn & Suites
#5 of 15 in Staunton
Howard Johnson Express Inn Staunton
Best Western Plus Waynesboro Inn & Suites Conference Center

Been to Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!