“Awesome steak”
Review of The Depot Grill

The Depot Grill
Ranked #6 of 131 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Virginia
“Awesome steak”
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I ate here on a Saturday in late March 2009 around noon. I was seated immediately and the waiter took my order. I had a ribeye and it was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. It was so flavorful. I also had a piece of pecan pie with chocolate chips and bourbon a la mode. It was quite good. My wife had an excellent crab cake. My only gripe was that the service was a bit slow. Still, I highly recommend the Depot Grille.

Staunton, VA
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed February 12, 2009

The environs are fun. The music is very good. The service is excellent. The food is always good. We return often.

Shady Cove, Oregon
“a local favorite”
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I would give the Depot five stars, but I'm still a little irritated about the time Colton Berry was seated at the table next to us and our waitress completely ignored us the rest of the time. Waitress, if you're reading this, we gave you that small tip because you certainly deserved it. The owner, if you're reading this, please remind your wait staff that if they blow off your regulars for semi-famous people then you won't have regulars anymore. It took me a LONG time to return to your restaurant, and you're lucky I got over it because I frequently get tourists at my job who ask me to recommend a restaurant, and I tend to send them your way most of the time.

On to my personal review. The Depot has great atmosphere. I enjoy sitting on both the dining side and the patio/bar side. Just depends on what mood we're in or who we're with (or what tables they have available). They have all my favorite beers on tap, and the prices are reasonable. The main entrees have NEVER been a miss with me. However, I'll never order the cheese fries (they use blue cheese crumbles) or fried mushrooms (they don't use the right kind of mushrooms) again. But the Flatbeds are delicious (another appetizer)! I think the homemade bread is awesome, although I wish the waitstaff would bring it out whether you ask for it or not. If they're supposed to, I've had a couple experiences where we never saw the bread basket. My food has always come out hot and fresh. I've never had a waiter/waitress that didn't deserve a big tip (with the exception of the Colton Berry-obsessed chick). The parking isn't greatt, but they've done the best with what they have. It's not like cars were even a concept back when they built the train station. Their chicken tenders are the best chicken tenders I've ever had, and we love to go on Fridays for their crab and lobster bisque!

I'm really surprised by the average rating on this site because the Depot is constantly selling out of their 1/2 price $50 gift certificates when they're featured on the radio.

Of all the restaurants in Staunton, the Depot is the one I tend to return to on a regular basis. I hope they don't change.

charlottesville, va
“The Oysters are good”
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Okay, I'm picky when it comes to good seafood; I had the oysters at DG and they were off the hook. The sides were also really good. I'm going back to Depot Grill even after reading some of the following reviews.

2 Thank cvilledrums
Staunton, VA
“Places not to eat in Staunton, VA”
Reviewed June 30, 2008

On Saturday June 13, 2008 my son was in town for the weekend we took him to the Depot Grill for dinner. All three of us had you Hand-cut, local Angus beef. The rib eye I ordered was served cold and tuff. The other two in our party had the fillets they were also tuff . . I have eaten in many restaurants that serve fillets and never seen one that was only 3/8 of an inch thick and five inches across. Wish we would of picket MC Donald’s for dinner it would have been an improvement.

Gene (Staunton, VA)

4 Thank UnhappyGene

Been to The Depot Grill? Share your experiences!