“No rush to catch this train.”
Review of The Depot Grill

The Depot Grill
Ranked #11 of 140 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We visited this restaurant at the suggestion of a shop owner during a weekend stay in Staunton, VIrginia. It was a Friday night. The place is a bit hidden and at the end of an old rail line beside the old train station. The old station, itself once reincarnated as a restaurant, is now closed and neglected.

We arrived for a late dinner around 9 p.m. and passed several couples and groups leaving from their dinners. We took this patronage as a good sign!

The atmosphere inside was unremarkable. Honestly, it made little impression on me positive or negative and I struggle now four days later to recall much about it.

My companion ordered a hamburger with fries and I ordered a 9 ounce steak, fries and a Ceasar salad. My steak was cooked to order and quite good. The fires were a bit undercooked. My friend's hamburger was OK but strongly seasoned with either garlic or onion powder (I know, hard to imagine we couldn't discern which for sure). Since my friend is highly sensitive to garlic, we asked our waitress whether the hamburger contained any garlic. She replied confidently that it did not. When we asked if she was certain, she insisted she was and walked away. My friend, unconvinced, ate no more of the meat, but ended up sick throughout the night. While I cannot say for sure whether the meat contained garlic or not, we would have been much more appeased regardless of the fact had our waitress merely cofirmed with the chef, especially upon hearing of my friend's sensitivity.

Overall, the service was adequate, though not particularly friendly and not at all sensitive to my friend's dietary concerns. The flood was good quality and fresh, but of average with regard to taste, preparation and presentation. If your dining objective is to fill a hungry void, The Depot Grill fits the bill. If you are looking for a particularly enjoyable dining experience or above-average cuisine, let this train pass you by.

1  Thank beachNbuff

Reviewed June 26, 2011

I have been here many times and will continue to go back again and again. The service is fantastic, the food is amazing, and the atmosphere can't be beat! Their chicken tenders are delicious, and I love their new chicken tender marinara. They always have great specials as well. This restaurant is consistently busy, but it's always worth the wait!

Reviewed May 28, 2011

We live about 35 miles and visit this restaurant 4-6 times a year as it is on the high-end of a family meal ticket. Family in from Kansas, planned a dinner at The Depot to celebrate a Birthday. We arrived at 5pm and were seated promptly (we were a party of 10 and they do not take reservations but told us to be there before 5:30pm). We were seated in the patio/porch area, no problem except it was really warm. The server agreed, I had to leave the table and ask the manager to do something. The service was very cold, wasn't bad, just cold and not what we were used to receiving. Three of our party ordered 'Shirley Temples' we were quickly informed that only one refill, ($2.75 vs. $2.25 for a soda) last time we were there they brought us a pitcher and really tried to make our visit enjoyable. None of our steaks were cooked properly and one of the rib-eyes had maybe 2 oz. of meat, the rest fat. The have removed the Filet Mignon from the menu, now I ask, Steak House and Seafood Restaurant and the only steak offering is a Rib-Eye and a Ground Sirloin? Don't know what has happened here but I won't be spending any more of our money here.

2  Thank USArmyMom22846
Reviewed October 28, 2010

What a cool place. Right next to the tracks in the old downtown area. Train cars outside - train memorabilia inside. Just wish the food had been better. Things overall were average. But when you tell people that you have fall off the bone ribs - all you can eat- it's disappointing when you cannot deliver. The first serving was good. Asked for one more and waited a bit. When they came out, I could hardly even cut the meat away from the bone. The waitress was great and quickly promised to replace them. After I waited long enough for the rest of my party of 5 to be through with their meals, my replacement ribs arrived. Still all but inedible. They did credit the price of my meal down, but I was pretty disappointed after the hype about how good they were. Another member of my group had fried oysters. About half of her portion was unenjoyable due to shell in the oysters. The staff explained that they came to their kitchen already breaded and the shell issue came from the supplier. Fair enough, but no credit, free dessert or any offer was made after that unappealing experience. The waitress did all she could to make the experience pleasant and the atmosphere was great. Just hope if you try it, your food experience exceeds ours.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

I coud tell this restaurant is very popular. We had lunch at 2.00pm Saturday and still very busy. I noticed a lot of locals there. The service was fast and our waitress was very attentive. The decor is that of a railroad car, since its located at the old train station. Its very convenient to the shopping district, just two short blocks off main street.

Been to The Depot Grill? Share your experiences!