“Great Looking Desserts” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant and Bakery

Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant and Bakery
Ranked #14 of 127 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hampton, VA
“Great Looking Desserts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Mrs. Rowe's menu is very reminiscent of Cracker Barrel.....maybe a tad more expensie. Very similar menu. I had a turkey dinner that was really slathered in a lot of gravy, but not a lot of turkey. It was a real carbo loaded plate with mashed potatoes and dressing.

I suspect the real reason anyone stops into Mrs. Rowe's are her pastries. They looked fabulous. We didn't have any. It they taste as good as the look, this would be the reason to stop in.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Gloucester, VA
“Just Average Comfort Food and Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I thought we should check out Mrs. Rowe's after reading so much about it but have to say that it apparently isn't what it used to be (sadly this is the case with so many great restaurants) and would say that while it wasn't bad, it wasn't that great either. We had hamburger steak (not great) and meat loaf (very good), both with mashed potatoes and their brown gravy (not the mushroom gravy that comes with both), picked beets, cucumber salad (very good) and soup of the day (vegetable beef-I make better and BTW, where's the beef?). Service was a little slow but I do not fault the waitress as there seemed so few of them. Also, the cashier at the front (where you pay the bill) was a bit of a snarky cur and was actually rude to the couple in front of us. I decided it would be best for me to step outside as I wanted to ask her why she did this if she was so miserable. I would suggest you try the many other good to great restaurants in Staunton and skip this one.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
va
“Not like it used to Be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have not been there in a long time and was there recently with extended family. The food was just okay like others said. The food was cold and my friend's hamburger steak was burnt. The coffee was terrible. It used to be such a great place years ago. Most of the guests were older and I now see why younger folk do not visit. This may be the end of an era soon. The days of Mrs. Rowe were people greeting you and happy faces. Those days are gone...

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Comfort Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Had to stop here after reading all the reviews regarding the pie. We stopped for lunch on a Saturday, no wait. We had the special if chicken and dumplings, mashed potatoes, green beans; chicken salad sandwich with chips. They use real potatoes but were served cold and had been whipped so vigorously there was little texture. Flavor good. Green beans from a can and I had their spoon read which was an interesting change from a roll. The meal was good but only average. My partner's sandwich was good but nothing jumping off the plate. Apple pie was average, butterscotch pie was average to less. I like my recipe better. Glad we stopped or we would have always wondered but wouldn't come back.

Floral Park, New York
“Between average and very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel clerk recommended this restaurant and it was busy with local folks. The food was good but not hot enough and the staff was exhausted. Our waitress told us she was finishing a 12 hour shift and that was why she made several errors on our order.

Visited October 2013