“Friendly, yummy, quaint”

Nu-Beginning Farm The Store
Ranked #22 of 139 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: The Store is a year round farm-to-table cafe and grocery, micro-restaurant, coffee house, internet cafe, grocery store and happy meeting place! We source our food from the surrounding area (when possible)with the distance depending on the product (items that can't be sourced locally are purchased from sources with a concentration toward the environment and non-use of chemicals). We currently represent over 50 local producers and growers from seven Virginia counties and one from West Virginia. Owned and operated by Nu-Beginning Farm which was established in Greenville, Va by John and Stella Matheny, in 2003. Nu-Beginning first got started at the Verona Farmers' Market with two card tables and a box of vegetables that all fit in the trunk of a car. The Store offers a nice selection of house made gluten free, vegetarian and vegan food options. We hope that you have the opportunity to visit The Store and see what the culinary team can do with local products!
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We found Nu-Beginning because we were staying at the Howard Johnson in the same parking lot. The mom & daughter who own the store were both very friendly. We liked that they served from the local farms only.
My husband had the scrambled eggs w/toast, which he enjoyed, and I chose the english scones. These were amazing! They were just like the ones I had in England a few years ago. They even offered them w/the jam & cream. We also sampled a few honeys from the local farm and bought a jar to take home with us.
I highly recommend stopping in. It is on our list of must go again!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Nu-Beginning Farm opened its store last year. It is a cooperative of several local farms and has a wonderful selection of mostly local fruits, vegetables, dairy, honeys and syrups. One of the partners, a trained chef, makes their coffee and a wide variety of excellent teas, as well as daily soups (the root veggie soup with sour cream is especially good), and they serve Belgian waffles for breakfast. Friendly people who are doing a public service as well as providing a great product.

1  Thank HwaetAlanB
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This is such a great local place to go for breakfast, lunch (and now dinner, but I've not had that yet). The coconut macaroons are DELICIOUS, as are their mini quiche. I just had two maple pecan chocolate covered coconut macaroons yesterday!
Every Saturday they have Belgium Waffles, which I hope to try soon. Highly recommend The Store!

1  Thank maggiep166
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I love living in a small town, and this is the kind of gem that makes my small town so wonderful. Wonderful food, beautiful produce, smiling faces, kind words... what more can I say. And all of it is local. I get to make my money support the things I love.

2  Thank 4ps
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Scones, in particular, were delicious, freshly made and a great price. They also carry Mountain View Farms dairy, which is my favorite local source, so that gives the extra boost to 5 stars!

1  Thank jenabuckwell