“Friendly , Excellent Staff”

Hometown Grill and Buffet
Ranked #31 of 141 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Home cooked food served on the Buffet and from the menu. Try our HOT Breakfast Buffet to start your day, take a break from work and stop in for our Lunch Buffet and enjoy our Dinner Buffet after a hard day at work!
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Hometown Grill & Buffet, Staunton, VA, is a closed Shoney's Restaurant bought by the employees. The decor is similar to Shoney's. The staff are very friendly, attentive and professional. The food is very similar to Shoney's, ordinary but tasty. So far it operates as a simple country buffet at all three meals with menu ordering available. It's convenient to the junction of I-81 and I-64. I'm local and eat there often. The food is good, but the biggest draw is the wonderful, pleasant, appreciative staff. If you're looking for gourmet food with ambience, this likely is not for you. However, if you're looking for a pleasant country meal and friendly folks, I'd recommend it. ... Right now (10-04-2013) there is a seafood buffet on Friday nights. ...

2  Thank Mike55555555

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My wife and myself went on a Saturday evening and both of us had the buffet. The buffet had very limited options and what they did have was horrible. The soups and pastas clearly have been recycled and reheated several times and were tasteless. As for the salad bar the iceburg lettuce was the only item that was fresh, the mushrooms were brown and when I say brown I mean like brown slimy like a slug, they also had spinach but that was wilted and slimy as well. Also on the bar was fried popcorn shrimp and fried chicken that were OK and a few sides such as Mac n cheese, mashed potatoes and corn (yet again have all been recycled and reheated several times). I will say the waiter seemed nice and the place itself seemed clean but already decided not worth a second visit especially since the kicker was when received the bill. Each buffet was $11.99 and was called a "seafood" buffet (really seafood buffet with only popcorn shrimp). We asked the cashier if we were charged correctly and were told the previous night was the seafood buffet but the price was the same for Saturday cause it was their pasta buffet. WHHATTTTT????? Charged for a seafood buffet but only get reheated pasta. They are most definitely ripping people off with that. Save your money and your tummies and just totally bypass this place. WORST BUFFTT EVER.

3  Thank Punkbian
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Great place for home cooked food. Friendly staff and good prices. A great place to get a quick breakfast lunch or dinner just like at home.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We wanted to try out this new restaurant as it had good reviews in the local newspaper. We will not be going back. My husband got the buffett (Sat. evening, steak and pasta buffett) He said it was awful. The steak wasn't cooked well, the green beans were way too salty, the coleslaw was tasteless, the pasta looked and tasted like it had sat there for awhile, most things were either tasteless or too salty. I had a burger and fries, it was okay, can't do too much to a burger. He opted for the pound cake with strawberries for dessert, said the strawberries were tasteless. I got the ice cream, with the only topping there, chocolate syrup, it was okay. The service was good and the place was clean. It is just like Shoney's when it was there, might have cleaned it up and repainted it some, but pretty much like walking into Shoneys, only Shoney's food was better!

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to give the Hometown Grill a try so my boyfriend and I went there for lunch and had the buffet. We were not really impressed but decided we will give it another try once they have been opened a bit longer. Our waitress was excellent. She and the rest of the staff were so friendly .