“The perfect destination for a truly wonderful dining experience.”
Review of AVA Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I'm always excited when the menu changes for the season, but I do hope they decide to keep the spice rubbed pork ribeye on the menu! The salads are always fresh and delicious. The appetizers and sides are unique and a play on classic versions you'd find on your own dinner table.
I've never been a wine expert, but clearly the owner knows what she is doing. Always recommending something that I end up enjoying just by asking me a couple of questions.
The staff has always been attentive and friendly. The atmosphere is perfect to enjoy an evening out on the town. AVA alone is definitely worth the trip to Staunton.

1  Thank LElaine1984

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Horrible experience. I don't like writing negative reviews so I will keep this short and to the point: Unprofessional owners and staff. The complete experience lacked. Bad ambiance, dirty, no background music, and SLOW. The food was okay, but the way it was delivered (by a dirty, smoke smelling man) and its lateness ruined the taste for us. Later we found out that many locals do not think highly of the restaurant; I can see why!!! Sorry AVA, you don't seem like you want to be in the restaurant business.

1  Thank Rebecca R
Mary Beth M, Owner at AVA Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Hi Rebecca,
We are so sorry that you had such a bad experience at AVA. We clearly did not reach the high bar that we set for ourselves.
Firstly, that server is no longer employed by us, nor has he been for several months.
Secondly, we prepare our food from scratch. Everything is made to order and this type of dinner service takes a bit of time. We do apologize that it took longer than you expected.
We hope that you will give us another chance and allow us the opportunity to show you that we do make excellent food, provide great service, and can do all this in a timely manner.
Best wishes,
Mary Beth

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Quaint atmosphere; the food was very well prepared (spanokopita, filet mignon) but do expect small portion sizes, which are actually reasonable portions. Very accommodating about giving reservations at last minute when we couldn't get in to another restaurant we had picked.

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I visited AVA for the first time yesterday evening. OK here are the pluses and minuses.... Nice eclectic menu with a southern spin. Impressive wine list. Great decor - very comfortable. The service was great and the owner made sure we were taken care of. The kale and brussel sprout appetizer is a must try. I do not normally like brussel sprouts but it was delicious. I also tried the pork chop and meat loaf entrees. Both exceeded my expectations. The meat loaf is a must try . The minuses are... Well there aren't any that I could find. Please go out and support this wonderful local business.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I have had countless dinners at AVA and they've all been excellent. Everything I've ordered has tasted wonderful, the presentations are always beautiful, and the portions are perfect. The servers are friendly and the kitchen staff goes out of its way to accommodate requested substitutions. AVA specializes in wine and I'm always pleased with the selection. I recommend this marvelous restaurant without hesitation and urge those in town to opt for this spot in Staunton to dine or just to enjoy a drink.