“An inconspicuous new treasure”
Review of Mi Rancho

Mi Rancho
Ranked #47 of 130 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Staunton, Virginia
“An inconspicuous new treasure”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Mourning the loss of Jalisco, we were thrilled to find this new entrant into the restaurant scene in Staunton. It is located in an unprepossessing building away from downtown, but is well worth the short trip,.
We started with an excellent guacamole dip (and the complementary salsa and chips).
My wife feasted on one of the many combination platters, and found it very good, especially the tamale. She added a taco side, which was also very good. (There was enough to take home a late-night snack.)
I chose the enchilada supreme (four different ones) and found it delicious. Although the four were nested together and bathed in the same sauce (and lettuce and sour cream atop), the flavors and textures of each was distinctive. (I gobbled mine all down.)
Overall, the entrees were a bit spicier than we were accustomed to, but very well seasoned.
For dessert, I chose the Tres Leches cake (not on the menu but on a flyer) and found it as delicious as the other reviewers have. My wife chose the flan, which she pronounced very good. Both portions were generous.
The service was prompt and polite, and the dishes prepared quickly and served hot.

• Visited February 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this place”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I love this place. Great food and service. The Tres Leches cake is awesome. Their combinations are good, but so are the specials. Lunch is a steal for how awesome everything is. I can't stress enough on the tres leches cake, though. Get it and some coffee? Mm.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank lufox2222
virginia
“Nice mex experience”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We're from Texas and have had a heckuva time finding Mexican food that we like here, thank goodness Mi Rancho has scratched that itch! We like their wonderful tacos, great relents, quest fun dido and all of the sauces served on and with them. Yay! Mexican food in small town Virginia!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank shakeit_staunton
Staunton, VA
“Unassuming place but the cooks know what they're doing!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Some friends clued me into the location in Waynesboro, so we were excited to try the new Staunton location. This building has been through several unsuccessful restaurants but may have found something more permanent. This a classic little joint with the same Mexican menu you have probably seen in other places. The staff is small but very friendly and helpful.

You get the standard blender-style salsa and tortilla chips in a basket when you are seated, which is always good. The "numbers and letters" part of the menu is as expected, but I was really impressed when I ordered the Arroz con Camarones. The shrimp were cooked perfectly - tender with great grill flavor. I tried it a second time and it was also good. When a friend tried it a third time, I knew the cooks must be good. Consistent dishes, always hot, cooked correctly. Nice.

I encourage anyone in town or travelling to try this place. Support this as a local restaurant as the west end of town needs these places! If you are downtown, it's only 5 minutes west on Beverley Street. Yes, I know Beverley is one-way going east downtown, but a few blocks west of town it goes both directions!

They do have daily specials so don't be afraid to try them!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Curtis24401
Virginia USA
“EXCELLENT!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was greeted as soon as I walked in. Sat at a nice table and chips and my drink was there quickly. The servers were very friendly, and the service was very fast.The food was fast and authentic Mexican. Everything was excellent. I took my wife the next day and she also realy enjoied it!

• Visited February 2013