“Great Place for All”

Frontier Culture Museum
Ranked #2 of 35 things to do in Staunton
More attraction details
Owner description: Four working farms, inhabited by interpreters dressed in period costumes, who try to accurately depict what life was like on the farm during the period that they are demonstrating (17th, 18th, and 19th centuries). The farms represent the German, Scotch-Irish, English and American settlers.
Virginia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great Place for All”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

As a local to the area I can say that this is a great experience. Have been lots for school field trips over the years and it is always something new. The gift shop always has fudge and it is close to several restaurants. The octagonal barn is great for weddings!

Visited February 2012

Richmond, Virginia
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“I recommend it 101%”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We visited the museum in January, there were no re-enactments except for the iron worker but instead ,we got a fully guided tour of all the houses, which include German and Irish farms, between others. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and friendly and made the visit very enjoyable. He patiently waited for us while we took a million pictures and in spite the fact that it was cold, we had a great time since the guide drove us to every attraction in a golf cart.
As I said we could not do any of the hands on experiences so we have a great excuse to come back in the spring.

Visited January 2013
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“What a Gem!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I travel I-81 through Virginia many times per year and I have passed this place many times without stopping. That all changed this past weekend! I stopped there to break up the trip and check it out. The Frontier Culture Museum was very well laid out and the people working there at the visitors center and each of the farmsteads were very knowledgeable. Each farmstead (African, English, Irish, German, Indian, and several American) was a history lesson in itself. There were activities going on at each farmstead (baking, blacksmithing, thatching, etc.) that were very interesting links to our past. I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone, including children. I would say you should count on two hours as a bare minimum for a visit, but it would be easy to spend half a day there.

1 Thank Tjmtravels
WV
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A unique history lesson of the Shenandoah Valley”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great for families, this museum is a tribute to many of the heritages in the Shenandoah Valley. There are 7-8 homesteads including an African village, a Native American village and a working German farm. Several of these were disassembled and rebuilt on the property. The interpreters are informative and pleasant, showing you life during a different time and engaging the children to think about the "life of then" a little differently. We bought the "foul food" and my daughter enjoyed feeding the ducks, chickens and geese. We spent about 3 hours here and walked. They did have carts if you have a large group or don't feel like walking. I have been to many "American Heritage" museums and still learned many new things on this trip.

I can see it would get quite crowded on holidays and weekends but we went before Thanksgiving and had the place pretty much to our selves. The only downside of that was it was a skeleton crew of actors and demonstrations. One or the other I suppose, and we appreciated not fighting the crowd.

Roanoke, VA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A must do for history lovers!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This place was great for all ages who enjoy hands on learning. The old homesteads and working farms were enjoyable.

Visited November 2012

Been to Frontier Culture Museum? Share your experiences!