“Blackfriars Playhouse is a magnificent find”

American Shakespeare Center
Ranked #1 of 37 things to do in Staunton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Blackfriars Playhouse is the world's only re-creation of Shakespeare's indoor theatre. "Stunning", says Frommer's. Located in historic downtown Staunton, VA, this 300-seat Renaissance theatre offers productions of Shakespeare and classic plays year round that the Washington Post says are "shamelessly entertaining" and the Boston Globe says are "phenomenal...bursting with energy”.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We quite literally stumbled upon Blackfriars Playhouse in Staunton, VA as we wandered through the historical town. Its unassuming "street face" belies the incredible discovery inside of the world's only reproduction of Shakespeare's indoor theater. We bought tickets on the spot for that night's performance, which was outstanding. I felt absolutely transported back to Shakespearean times. Though we live far away, we have returned two other times when we have stayed at Massanutten Resort near Harrisonburg, VA. In fact, it's been the primary reason we have gone back to that resort. We love theater, and we've honestly never found a better one anywhere.

1  Thank CUMC

Reviewed May 26, 2010

I live in the area and go as often as I can. The troup makes Shakespeare come alive. I personally prefer the comedies, but if you like bloody Shakespeare, they do a great job with that, too.
Plus, if you are from out of town, Staunton is a pretty 19th century type town, very nice place to visit.

Reviewed May 26, 2010

I have attended several performances at Blackfriars. Each time I go I think that they will not be able to impress me as much as the time before, and each time I am blown away by the performances. Friends wanted to see Hamlet, my least favorite play, so I went with them. The performance was so interesting that I actually enjoyed the play. And, you don't have to quickly down your drinks -- you can take your wine glass into the theatre!

Reviewed April 17, 2010

I love Blackfriars. Living in Staunton would not be the same without this lovely theatre. Every season a new cast of actors brings Shakespeare and sometimes other dramatists' work to life. They make me laugh, cry, and (most importantly) pay attention. They make Shakespeare easy to understand and for that I am eternally grateful.

Reviewed April 16, 2010

Seeing a play at the Blackfriars is unlike any other theater experience. The small, finely crafted interior brings you so close to the actors, and since the lights remain on during performances, the actors can see you and you can see the other audience members. The intimacy and excitement this produces makes the Shakespeare they stage crackle with life and the sometimes obscure Renaissance plays come beautifully alive, as well. The broad humor and frequent music in the shows also really brings the plays to the audience. The way the American Shakespeare Company makes drama accessible to any audience member (kids, teens, and adults) makes it a must-see. Sit on the Gallants' Stool, just as long as you're not shy!

1  Thank ProfKate