“American Shakespeare Center's Blackfriars Playhouse not to be missed!”

American Shakespeare Center
Ranked #1 of 38 things to do in Staunton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Blackfriars Playhouse is the world's only re-creation of Shakespeare's indoor theatre. "Stunning", says Frommer's. Located in historic downtown Staunton, VA, this 300-seat Renaissance theatre offers productions of Shakespeare and classic plays year round that the Washington Post says are "shamelessly entertaining" and the Boston Globe says are "phenomenal...bursting with energy”.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This unique building, the only recreation of Shakespeare's indoor playhouse in the world, hosts a resident troupe of actors who not only can deliver lines with impeccable diction and riveting role playing, but who are also excellent musicians. An evening or matinee here is a marvelous chance to see and hear Shakespeare's plays, and those of other writers both past and modern. Now, in July 2013, they are performing the musical "Return to the Forbidden Planet" complete with dance and hand-clapping, foot-stomping music. Three plays are on the bill concurrently and two more will be added in September, to continue until the Christmas plays begin in December. This is the normal schedule of this fine, unique place, set in a small town containing many good hotels and restaurants and other attractions. Don't miss it.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I had the opportunity to See Romeo and Juliet this week. Words cannot express how amazed we were with this performance. I am sure Shakespeare himself would have been speechless.

We were unsure of balcony seats but since vacationing has its budgets that is where we sat and we couldn't have asked for better seats! We especially loved how the performers made everyone feel apart of the show even sitting in the balcony! We will be sure to visit again! Hopefully making a yearly visit!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The first time we just stumbled across the performance time for a show at Blackfriars, but they do such interesting things with Shakespeare. Sometimes it is conventional other times set in a different location/timeframe, always with some music. We enjoyed Return to Forbidden Planet which was made from The Tempest, but incorporated B S-F movies, Star Trek, pop music of the 1950s and 1960s ... very adventuresome. We had seen them do a more conventional version of The Tempest just two years earlier, this one was completely different and it was hysterically funny.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We learned so much from the backstage tour - more than from any of my literature classes - and the play was so much fun!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family and I just finished our fourth annual visit to Staunton -- and we've seen plays at the American Shakespeare Center each year. This year, my 18 year old nephew and his friend and I saw four plays there. These actors are incredible. The interpretations of the plays are stellar. The atmosphere is amazing. I've seen a play at the recreation of the Globe in London - and it doesn't beat this recreation of the Blackfriar's theater. If you are in the Staunton area -- this is a must do! Seeing a play here is worth every penny. A "shout out" to Allison, one of the actors, who (in addition to her wonderful thespianic talent) always makes everyone feel welcome and who arranged for my nephew and his friend to sit in the gallants' stools on stage several times.