“Fun”

American Shakespeare Center
Ranked #1 of 37 things to do in Staunton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Blackfriars Playhouse is the world's only re-creation of Shakespeare's indoor theatre. "Stunning", says Frommer's. Located in historic downtown Staunton, VA, this 300-seat Renaissance theatre offers productions of Shakespeare and classic plays year round that the Washington Post says are "shamelessly entertaining" and the Boston Globe says are "phenomenal...bursting with energy”.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We attented Macbeth. It was a little hard to understand the actors, but we got the gist of it and followed along.
The singing before and during the intermission was nice.
We had a fun time and would go back again.

Reviewed May 24, 2011

I watched Macbeth on Sunday afternoon. English is not my mother language and I know little about Shakespeare plays. But I still had a wonderful time in the Blackfriars playhouse.

The real show started at 2pm and the singing started at 1:30pm. You are not allowed to bring drink/food but you can buy it with a reasonable price in the playhouse. The show ended around 4:15pm and everybody clapped for a long time for the great performance.

Don't worry about which seats to choose. It's an elegant small theater. All seats are good. Furthermore, the actors will encourage audience to take the empty seats on the stages if they haven't been taken. It's a very interesting theater and I feel pity that there is no playhouse tour on Sunday.

2  Thank pixie_PA
Reviewed May 23, 2011

When our 11 student middle school group went on our annual class trip, one of our choices was to see "As You Like It" at the Blackfriars Playhouse in Staunton, VA. However, we didn't think that we would be sitting on the stage! Several of us even thought it was our favorite attraction. The actors were amazing because they all played more than 1 role and they still remembered all of their lines! We all recommend seeing a play there.

1  Thank j0ytraveler
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Forget the boredom of high school English classes! Live Shakespeare, if done well can be a real treat and that's what we experienced at the Blackfriar Theatre in May 2011. From the very interesting and educational program to the musical performances by the cast before and during intermission to the enthusiasm of the performers to the additional humor injected into the play, we enjoyed everything. We considered it the top experience of our trip up the Eastern Seaboard that included the Great Smoky Mtns and the magnificient Biltmore in Asheville, NC.

We attended a performance of "As You Like It", but with this strong cast we have no doubt we would have enjoyed any of Shakespeare's tragedies as well. In fact, if we would have we would have stayed for the performances over the weekend of their other two plays in rotation.

And did I mention the theatre? A beautiful recreatiion of the theatres Shakespeare was originally performed in albeit made more comfortable for today's modern audiences. It is beautiful and you can even sit on the stage or in the "important people's boxes" above it.

If you are anywhere in the area do not miss this marvelous experience.

2  Thank Vicky2289
Reviewed April 19, 2011

On vacation to the Staunton area this week my family and I dediced to give the ASC theatre a visit. We waited a bit to long to purchase our tickets online, however, and decided to be bold and just show up an hour before the 2PM Sunday showtime and try our luck. Our luck was extraordinary as it turns out - front row center in the main balcony - excellent view.

The theatre is clean and impressive. The show is performed with the lighting on - something I had not experience before but rather enjoyed. This was nice because you really got a chance to soak in the view and architecture. It also allowed the actors to venture off stage into the audience without fear of stumbling around.

The performers put on a short pre-show performance of song and comedy which was quite enjoyable and helped to pass the time until the show began quite well.

We saw Macbeth and found it to be VERY well orchestrated and performed. Wy wife and I thought it was quite good and our 14 year old son enjoyed it as well. It was a bit much for my 10 year old daughter to follow but to her delight it was one of Shakespeare's shorter tragedies. (It also helped that it ended with a fair amount of swordplay and drama).

The performers did a fantastic job - many of them playing multiple parts. I will admit that it took some effort on my part when an actor would disappear offstage for a moment and then reappear as a different character to keep track of the character they were portraying as I was paying more attention to the speech and not the costumes. Not to mention that men often play a women's part and vice versa.

All in all a great performance, a fantastic theatre, and a good time had by all.

1  Thank Fletchergary