“A Pleasant Surprise! :)”

Red Roof Inn Staunton
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I decided to take a mini vacation to Staunton/Charlottesville to sample the local vineyards and breweries. I booked this hotel when I found out I could get a discount through the National Education Association. After I booked the room, my husband decided to check Trip Advisor. The reviews were mediocre, so we ventured out keeping our fingers crossed. Upon arriving we realized It's not what's one the Outside that counts. The appearance on outside looked a little run down, but our room was wonderful. We had a king room that was newly renovated. It was very clean. The staff was very pleasant upon check in/out. We couldn't have asked or a better stay, just wished we could have stayed longer! We will be sure to book this place again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
redroof706, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn Staunton, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thanks for your feedback about our hotel. It is very nice to hear from guest has a good experience with our inn.I am very happy your kind word about remodeled. we appreciate your kind word and time, see you again next time.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The lady at the front desk was so helpful and enthusiastic! When we had problems with the TV set, she moved us to another room that was even nicer. The breakfast the next morning was great with a good variety. We had heard that Red Roof Inn is renovating all of their locations, and we were told that the furniture in this location was yet to arrive. But the decor and furniture was already so nice that they really don't need to change it. If we come this way again, we will definitely stay here. They are not exactly in great proximity to a lot of restaurants, but a good home-cooking place with a buffet was within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
redroof706, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn Staunton, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for you kind comments. We do offer the best service to our guests as possible. I do appreciate the concern about my staff and breakfast .Thank you again.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Things in the room were fine, until my wife noticed an open bar of soap in the shower and some hairs on the floor in the bathroom (gross). But those were minor inconveniences compared to the next morning when we found out there wasn't any hot water! We called the desk and the clerk said, "yes, we have had a problem with that." What? Why wasn't I told this when I checked in???
Needless to say, I got a full refund, but they shouldn't be open until the problem is fixed.

When they are done renovating this property, and tightening up the loose ends (like hair on the floor, pardon the pun), this may be a decent place to stay if it is run right.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ted L
redroof706, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn Staunton, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Staunton Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I'm sure this place is a wonderful motel; affordable, clean, comfortable. But we never got to experience that. As a matter of fact, the lady working the desk managed to turn possible relief into an absolute nightmare.

My girlfriend and I had recently checked her son out of UVA Children's Hospital, and were headed back to our home 3 hours away, when our van suddenly blew a head gasket. This is where the nightmare of our day started. After waiting in the hot sun for an hour, we managed to have our car towed to a Staunton garage, where they assessed the damages, and gave us an estimate we had no way to pay off right then and there.

Upon calling her father, he booked and paid for a room at the Red Roof Inn, cut and dry, and we were assured that we would find respite there. Upon arriving however, despite the room being paid for, the Front Desk Clerk refused to let us stay due to the fact that we had no fax from the father with his ID and Credit Card. Being that he was 3 hours away, this was difficult to achieve.

I can understand protocol, but my girlfriend was in tears, the child still had a hospital bracelet on, but no amount of pleading for our room would help. All of us were in physical pain from the walk, and despite attempting to use alternate methods of payment, she still wouldn't budge, nor would she call her superiors to help us. There were no kind apologies, no attempts made to help us in any way, despite being reassured over the phone that his card information was confirmed, and the room was reserved.

We were left with no choice but to walk away, with no options other than to sleep in the car, and when I turned back and looked at her, she was shaking her head in annoyance and disgust.

Thank god for Best Western across the street, who realized the situation and assisted us, even offering a 20 dollar hospital discount. I would have even understood a little, if the lady had offered some kindness or understanding, but we were treated like liars and con-artists. I'm sure that particular Red Roof is great, we even chose them due to the reviews. But whoever the dark haired front desk clerk was, I want her to know this. Because of you, we were almost forced to sleep in a broken down van, in the hot weather, with a sick 7 year old. And you have seriously caused us to view Red Roof Inn in a bad light.

OH! And they still took the money by the way.

3  Thank Drew M

Good Morning,
We have completed our investigation in my end i found my front desk Clark did every thing under her guidelines .she follow her instruction that avoid fraud we have to have in writing or Emil thirty party credit card authorization form other wise we don't know who is on phone ,so for guest security we have policy that we can't rent room if they don't bring credit card ,or fax or Emil authorization from. Also she did apologies,sorry and cancel the reservation.We didn't charge credit card
I am sorry what ever happen but she did her gob on her guidelines.We do best customer service possible.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I reserved this off of Trip advisor reviews on a trip south on I 84. It was as expected for a Red Roof with a better breakfast than usual. Of course I am partial to biscuits and gravy and they had good ones on the breakfast bar.

Room was clean and beds comfortable. What they use to clean it has a distinct smell that almost smacks of covering something up, but really it was actually clean as far as I can tell.

Place seemed EMPTY, which at first worried me. But they were near full, apparently near a truck depot with drivers overnighting there. It wasn't a problem at all,no noise or other effects - that is other than being able to park right in front of my room (they don't have cars). So I guess if I was doing it again I would reserve ahead again.

Lady at the counter check in was nice and friendly.

Long story short - it was a good overnight stop on a long drive south from CT to SC - and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: All look pretty much the same.
1  Thank liketwobike
Reviewed July 8, 2013

convenient location near the interstate, nice facilities and reasonable price. Pet friendly. Poor tv reception however. great place to stop for an overnight. there is a buffet for breakfast, but it is limited to only a few items.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was glad to be able to reserve an accessible room online as I am recovering from a broken leg. The bathroom was very large with plenty of room for a wheelchair. There were grab bars by the toilet and the shower. The only problem was that there was no curb cut near the room making it difficult to get in.

The room was very clean and had a flat screen TV as advertised; however, the reception was very poor. There was a good bit of noise from people arriving very late and leaving very early.

It was a very good value.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
redroof706, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn Staunton, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about our motel and sharing your feedback with the travel community. I am very sorry to heir about poor TV reception ,unfortunately we don't have cable service ave-label ,so we have to deepen on satellite .we appreciate your kind word and time,I look forward to seeing you again .