“Amazing baked goods and coffee”
Review of Newtown Bakery

Newtown Bakery
Ranked #1 of 4 Bakeries in Staunton
Orlando, Florida
“Amazing baked goods and coffee”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We loved everything they offered and they have amazing coffee. We also loved Dwayne! A must if your in Staunton.

Visited June 2014

Staunton, Virginia
“Not child friendly, not adult friendly either.”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Although I had purchased bread from this bakery before, I had never eaten a meal there until today. Unfortunately we had such a bad experience we won't be going back. Eating good bread is just not worth being treated so poorly by the owner of this restaurant. My family, which included a 2 yr. old & an infant, arrived for breakfast on a holiday weekend. There was not a high chair in the restaurant. Our 2 yr. old grandson got up suddenly from the table & ran over to one of the pieces of art on the wall. We immediately darted after him to stop him from touching the print but apparently the owner of the restaurant spotted him & didn't notice us. She screamed at him, leaving all of us in shock. Since we already had control of our grandson it was obvious to everyone that this display of anger towards a customer was totally uncalled for. My daughter was in tears. My husband spoke to the owner & she apologized to him. We stayed to finish our meal & wondered if the owner would apologize to my daughter--she never did. She avoided eye contact with us. Very sad that such an angry person is in a business that depends as much on good food as good customer service.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Lydspot
Raphine, Virginia
“Very good bakery/improved customer service would bring to five stars”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My wife and I have eaten at the Newtown Bakery several times. The breads and rolls are made from scratch and are excellent. The croissants and other pastries are also top notch. I recommend both chicken salad sandwiches (plain and the fancy version with fruit), and their soups of the day are often very tasty. There are some improvement opportunities that would bring this establishment to five stars.
First, nearly every time that I have gone to this restaurant, one of the two coffees of the day (self serve in sealed thermos dispenser) have been empty or nearly empty. When I mentioned this recently, the staff member declined to make more coffee "so close to closing." The problem was that they were going to be open for another 2.5 hours, and they should have gladly made more coffee. The remaining coffee, though tasty, was not quite hot enough or fresh enough. Second, when we arrived, all the pastries were gone other than the macaroons and some cookies. When I asked if they would be making more croissants or pastries, they said they were not. I was very disappointed, having driven 25 miles with out of town company to try their wonderful pastries. With two and a half hours to go, more pastries should have been baked. Third, is customer service. Every staff member there is cordial, respectful, and professional. But there is not generally a sense of warmth and welcome from the staff--only acknowledgement. Their attitude toward replenishing coffee and baked goods are examples of not putting the customer first in all things. The best restaurants not only provide excellent food as Newtown certainly does: but have a warm and welcoming atmosphere, deep appreciation for customers ("how is everything? Can I get you anything else?" vs. "thanks" as you are walking out. It is truly a management decision whether to act on these recommendations. One option is to say, "We have great food and treat customers decently; that is enough for us." The other option is to work as hard on the customer service end as the food; and the business will likely grow significantly.

• Visited April 2014
6 Thank kcfield
Staunton, Virginia
“Delicious”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

If a Staunton local is happy about any one thing, it should be that Newtown Baking is in our town. I frequent this business and not once have I had a bad experience in any way. Delicious bread, breakfast, coffee, pastries. The service is awesome, good location, parking lot and an easy walk if you're downtown.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank dbae27
Lusby, Maryland
“Not just for baked goods”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stopped in for lunch at this location on the edge of the historic district. We were both very impressed with the freshness and high quality of the ingredients. My wife and I both had ham & swiss on foccacia bread. Although it was the perfect sandwich at the time, I look forward to trying others. The service is friendly and prompt and the prices are reasonable. We ate at a table outside, and can also see grabbing a sandwich on the go.

• Visited June 2013