“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #19 of 132 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: we offer buffet as well as dinner menu . this is fine dine indian cusine which is located at the heart of staunton downtown.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I hadn't eaten at an Indian restaurant since London twenty years ago. My memory of that experience didn't encourage me to revisit the cuisine. Fast forward to 2014. I had already eaten in nearly every restaurant in downtown Staunton, so I thought I would give Taste of India a try. There weren't many diners in the place, which might be interpreted as a bad sign, but it proved to have a silver lining. I had little idea of what to order, but was helped by the attentive owner, who explained each dish that I asked about. It turns out that Indian food offers plenty of choices to vegetarians, and though I am not one, I decided to try vegetarian dishes for my dinner. Everything was tasty and provided new and exotic, but somewhat familiar, flavors for me. Bonus: good craft beer is available in bottles. Good food. Polite, attentive service. Reasonable price. What more could ask for?

• Visited June 2014

Ellicott City, MD
“Delectable Indian fare”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

When on the road and craving a mouth-watering, nutritious meal, Indian cuisine -- if you can find it -- is usually a good bet. Taste of India doesn't disappoint in that regard; in fact, it's a small gem. Twice, on visits to Staunton to see plays at the American Shakespeare Center, we've enjoyed their lunch buffet -- happily available on weekends as well as during the week. There's a nice variety of fare, including soup and dessert -- and onion bhajis so yummy one could almost make a meal of them. Main dishes, which are rotated, include things like tandoori chicken, curried garbanzos, and chicken tikka masala. All of this at a modest price, in an attractive dining room, with gracious service. What's not to like?!

• Visited March 2014
Helsinki, Finland
“Excellent”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Taste of India is the best Indian restaurant in America. Staunton is worth traveling for tastings of the restaurant's cuisine. The restaurant looks like a regular, but the food tastes heavenly. We found this restaurant through recommendations of TripAdvisor. The restaurant staff was very friendly and advised to take a look at local attractions also. Chicken korma was a good choice, the best chicken korma we've ever eaten at any restaurant.

Visited June 2014
Providence, Rhode Island
“Caring Indian Family Restaurant”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This restaurant stayed open for us during a snowstorm last year, and when we passed through again we had to stop. The owner serves the drinks, his wife serves the food, and it was all lovely. The atmosphere is typical open floor- not glamorous. There are very pedestrian house wines on the menu, but on request, the Owner will open a bottle of something more interesting - he has a collection. We shared a bottle of Virginia red that was very good.

Visited May 2014
Staunton, Va
“Ethnic Food in small town Virginia”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Taste of India has been a great addition to food options in Staunton, Virginia. The venue is pleasant, welcoming, and with the appropriate decor, the wait staff friendly and capable. There is an impressive variety of menu options, with your choice of the level of spices, from mild to Indian hot (for me, "mild" is a bit TOO mild; medium suits my taste buds). Beverages include several lassi options, beer and wine, including Indian beers. Prices are moderate, with the lunch buffet being the best bargain, offering novices an opportunity to sample a variety of Indian (well, the cook is actually Nepalese) dishes at a very low price. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2014