“first time for us, definitely not the last”

Ubon Thai Victorian Restaurant
Ranked #44 of 134 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 13, 2011

my wife & i got some take-out a few weeks ago and everything tasted great with some helpful recommendations from the owner. we met some new friends there a few nights ago and had a wonderful experience. my thai food experience is limited but the food -- spicy dumplings, pad thai and singha beer-- was very tasty. the owner/hostess made sure we had everything we needed. the building is beautiful and really convenient to downtown. we took a chance on a new place and were richly rewarded.

1  Thank biffote
There are newer reviews for Ubon Thai Victorian Restaurant

Reviewed December 4, 2010

Ok so maybe it isnt the place to go when in a hurry but the owner is a HOOT! Its a very relaxed atmosphere and the staff is very welcoming. I had never tried thai food before today and I thought it was fantastic. If you're in a hurry , hit a fast food joint, but if you've got time definitely stop in for the experience. Ubon herself took care of our table and made us smile the entire time. The vegetables in my dish were amazingly fresh and the shrimp was perfectly cooked. I really want to see them stay around!

Reviewed November 7, 2010

This restaurant was closed briefly while the Belle Grae Inn in which it is located changed hands. Ubon and Dan Herlong now own the property, and the restaurant is once again open for business.
We ate there last Sunday evening, and found everything was just right -- greeted warmly, seated promptly at our choice of table, and were served promptly and with courtesy.
The spring rolls were piping hot and fresh, and tasty as could be. My wife had her favorite shrimp dish and I had a pork and noodle entree. Both were top notch.
Some folks report having poor and quirky service here. I suggest they come back and give it another try.

Reviewed July 1, 2010

We went for our anniversary. Took forever to get seated. Was only one other table occupied. We gave our order as #32, but it was written down as #33. Would have sent it back but were on a timetable for our next event. Food was dry and tasted like it had been setting under a warmer all afternoon. Will not be back. Should have gone to Taste of Thai in Harrisonburg.

5  Thank travellovers1989
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I live in Staunton and have been enjoying having a Thai restaurant in town. I have only dined inside once, but frequently get carry-out. I have never been disappointed…until today. I had some friends staying as guests at the Belle Grae Inn and met with them to have coffee. We searched for someone to get the coffee and waited upwards of 30 minutes for it to come out to the porch, only to find out there was no cream. We finished the cups pretty quickly since they were small teacups and my friend went in to search for a refill. He took the cups in himself to be refilled. We never received a check so I went on another search to pay. I assumed that we had only had three cups because usually at least one refill is included, especially since it just came from a standard restaurant coffee pot (maybe my first mistake was assuming anything). I was charged for 6 cups which totaled $13 and some change. We technically only had 5 if that was the case since he only got two refills, but at that point I was just ready to get out of there. I realized that it is a Thai restaurant and not a coffee shop; however I am sure that some guests staying at a bed and breakfast inquire about coffee. I also would not mind paying that much for coffee OR refills had it not taken so long to come out, cream would have been available and we would not have had to do half of the work ourselves. The people that work there are very pleasant, but this whole experience just left me disappointed and with a bad taste in my mouth. Because of it, the next time a Thai craving strikes I will probably head to the Taste of Thai in Harrisonburg.

6  Thank klg2utk