“Great place, favorite in town!”

Ubon Thai Victorian Restaurant
Ranked #41 of 132 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Swoope, Virginia
“Great place, favorite in town!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

After reading some of the negative reviews I had to counter with my opinion and experiences. We have eaten at Ubon several times and each time the experience was similar: great food, friendly staff, and fair prices. The fish cakes, pad thai, and seeda lui fai are outstanding favorites. Some of the reviews have written that prices are high, but this is not fast food Chinese. Under $20 for a dinner plate is not excessive to me. The owners are always welcoming and chatty and love kids, which we have four. The vegetables and seafood always seem fresh as others have suggested. I can leave here totally full without being bloated and without being hungry again in an hour like fast food Chinese. Would take anyone there and would recommend to anyone in the area. It's not too far off I-81 and worth the peak at Staunton.

• Visited March 2013

Staunton, Virginia
“Great food, a little pricey”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I usually get Pad Thai which is consistently good. The last time we went it was exceptionally delicious and my husband commented that he thought that it was the best Pad Thai he'd ever had, which was good because the owner chef gave us more than the average lunch amount. Fantastic!

The prices are a little high for the budget-conscious, but only by $2-$3 or so per dish. The restaurant has plenty of space and the owner is very friendly and personable and loves to chat with her customers. You can tell this is a family-run restaurant because a lot of care goes into the customer service.

If you like Thai and want some authentic home-style food cooked by a Thai lady, this is the place to go.

• Visited February 2013
Waynesboro, Virginia, United States
“Cockroach Nymph and Bruised Mango”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

There's not a lot of good asian in the Valley, but I took a chance after seeing that Ubon had won some reward in 2011.

The location is okay, the outside is beautiful, inside well decorated. However, my husband and I didn't go there for the atmosphere.

We got the free "chip" things, which were fine until my husband found a German Cockroach Nymph in the sauce. After that, we weren't really excited to eat, but I went forward. I ordered the Pad Thai, which I have eaten quite often in my life. It was colorless and fairly flavorless. The noodles were squishy, the egg was over mixed and crumbly, there were onions, bamboo shoots AND bean sprouts, which were really too much crunch in that dish. I also found cartilagey pieces of chicken mixed with the breast pieces.

My husband didn't touch his food.

I ordered a mango sticky rice to go. That was the one thing I'd really been craving, and how can you mess up mango sticky rice? It's mango. It's sticky rice. It's condensed milk. The waiter had mentioned that the mango was "accidentally frozen" but wasn't old. He promised. When I got home and opened up the to-go container, I found over ripe and BRUISED mango. Giant brown spots all over it.

We paid over 50$ for a meal we hardly touched. I'm incredibly disappointed.

Upon further reflection, we should have just left without paying, but we were both so shocked :/

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Melissa F
Bristol, Virginia
“Excellent food, personalized recommendation”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I love this restauarant and I love Ubon! I chanced upon it during a business trip to Staunton and it was a wonderful surprise. Yes, the decor is quirky, but the owners greeted me peersoanlly. When I asked for recommendations, they steered me toward the fresh - never frozen - shrimp that had just been delivered that day. Ubon told me about her family and her ancestors in Thailand which was fascinating. It was not cheap, but if you want cheap go to one of the many cookie cutter Chinese restaurants that abound in any city or town. I can't wait to return!

• Visited December 2012
Virginia USA
“A very mixed bag”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is difficult to write, because I have such mixed feelings about this place. Only been once, so maybe another visit or two will give a fuller idea. But here goes. The place (dining room) is, as someone else said, quirky. It's a huge clutter of items (walls loaded with photos), with some Thai accents. The owners are super-friendly, and you definitely feel a Thai-family experience. (Perhaps, for some, too friendly - there was some hovering at the table that some folks liked, others not.) The prices are surprisingly high - what you'd expect in a fine Thai restaurant (like Duangrats in Falls Church) in northern Virginia. (For example, Crispy Chicken, $18.99; a very basic Pad Thai, 12.99.) The menu is not large - some Thai menus are huge - but that's OK, as long as you don't have a favorite dish that's not offered here. The food - I found it mediocre, not outstanding by any means. The shrimp crisps and spring rolls (complimentary for our large party) were very good. I had what was recommended by the server as the house's "signature dish" - the Crispy Duck. ($24.99) It was good, but far from the best duck I've had. The sauce was mild (somewhat my fault, but the server never asked what spicy/heat we wanted - I guess assumed locals wouldn't want heat). Also strange (in my experience), there was no sauce under the duck (or any entrees) on the plate. The sauce (especially on the rice) would be a good way to better judge the strength of the dish. I detected no distinct Thai notes - ginger, basil, garlic, or any heat. (Others at the table had the Crispy Chicken and Crispy Pork, and the flavor was similarly mild, non-distinctive.) A couple people at the table raved, others (like me) were barely impressed. The serving sizes, by the way, were (like the flavoring) modest - not teeny, but certainly not as large as in other Thai restaurants I've visited.
(For better Thai food in this area - a far bigger menu, very nice surroundings, moderate prices - Taste of Thai in Harrisonburg has it. Thai Flavor there is a simple, family-style restaurant with, I think, better Thai offerings than here at Ubon.)

• Visited December 2012