“Great breakfast, but inconsistent hours of operation”
Review of The Beverley - CLOSED

The Beverley
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 19, 2011

My husband and I were in town for a wedding so we agreed to meet members of his family for breakfast at the Beverly. Great breakfast, especially the homemade sausage patties. It was crowded but our server was always prompt, from taking our orders, bringing our food and checking for water/coffee refills. It was our plan to eat there for breakfast every day that we were in town, but that didn't work out. Tried to eat there Sunday, but they aren't open. Okay....so we go back on Wednesday at precisely 9am, doors are shut tight and no lights on. I looked up their website on my iPhone to check their hours - it says they are open Monday through Friday 7:00am-7:00pm and Saturday 7:00am-3:00pm. What gives?

Reviewed June 9, 2011

The Beverley is a Staunton institution because of the plain menu of basic American food -- hot roast beef sandwich, vegetable soup, brolled catfish, hamburgers, American breakfast foods.
It is on the main drag, and most everybody comes in at one time or another to share a booth or a table. The service is rock solid old fashioned polite (no name giggle out). The Beverly just feels like you have come home, No matter where you came from, there must have been a place that made you feel comfortable. This is it.
And the pies, the pies. Lemon meringue, Boston creme, chocolate creme, all made right there. Don't wait too long to claim a piece.
The only drawback is that they are only open for breakfast and lunch.

Reviewed October 28, 2010

We had a (very) late breakfast at The Beverly. (They stretched the time frame for us, thanks!!) They had come VERY highly recommended by Staunton locals. "Best Pancakes EVER" was even thrown in as a review. Well, we HAD to try them. Everything we had was EXCELLENT - including PIE - for breakfast. When you're presented with an amazing array of homemade pies on the sideboard, how can you possibly resist? The 5 of us (mom & 4 adult daughters) had the best time passing things around for each of us to sample. We also struck up great conversation with the 2 generations of family that own & run the restaurant. Their cook Jerry was also a trip! We had a GREAT meal, GREAT conversation and would recommend it highly to others. It is the reason you ask the locals where they eat.

Reviewed May 25, 2010

We live in Staunton and have gone to all of the restaurants on the Tripadvisor list. Staunton has excellent restaurants at all price points, particularly for a town of its size. One of the best of the budget restaurants is The Beverley, which has been here forever. If you want great down home cooking, this is the place to go to. All of the meals we have had here have been great, and the hot roast beef sandwich really hits the spot in the winter. Hamburgers are also ample, well seasoned, and filling. But my favorite dish is probably the catfish, which you can have either broiled or fried. I get it broiled, and it is the best catfish I have ever eaten. You also get a choice of 2 sides, and they are always fresh and tasty. My Virginia grandmother would have loved the corn pudding! And you have to leave room for dessert. They are all homemade and are on display to tempt you throughout the meal. Wonderful.....The restaurant is one of the historic buildings on Beverley Street, and was the first to be restored in downtown Staunton. I doubt that it has been redecorated since then and I hope they don't do so!

Wonderful place for breakfast! And they have afternoon tea, which I have never been to.

The owner, a lovely white haired lady, is usually there sitting at her table, and is most gracious and friendly. Service is always fast and attentive. Highly recommend this restaurant!