“Not that great”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Not that great”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I was very disappointed with Emilio's. The website indicated a nicer restaurant than we found and the rooftop dining was not at all what we expected. It was like being on someone's renovated porch on a city row house. While the service was good, the food was average--or so we thought until I got sick about an hour after we left. I was sick all night. Not sure if it was food poisoning or just the strong sauce disagreeing with me, but either way, I really don't plan to go back.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Cynthia G

Miami, Florida
“Below Cracker Barrel and Chili's? Don't believe it.”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This cozy home of honest-to-goodness Italian cuisine is a bona fide gem that deserves recognition in even the most cosmopolitan restaurant market. The calamari fritti, insalata di pere, spaghetti con pomodoro e basilico, and vitello alla saltimbocca we sampled were outstanding. A variety of wines are offered by the glass at fair prices. The only minor disappointment was a too-sweet limoncello tiramisu. If Emilio's truly ranks number 28 of 42 restaurants in Staunton, this charming town should be the gastronome's retirement paradise.

1 Thank D N
Staunton, Virginia
“Upscale Italian has a special place in our small city”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Staunton is blessed with many good restaurants for many cuisines and price points. For Italian, Emilio's is probably the flagship for better dining in terms of menu choices and atmosphere.

Our last trip there was very satisfying, starting with minestrone soup for me and wedding soup for my spouse. Her weddding soup was quite good. I had the minestrone soup to compare with my own. It was well spiced, but with fewer vegetables than the versions I make.

My entre was gnocchi, which I found most appetizing and ample in quantity. My spouse had a special with steak and seafood which was inspired (and priced accordingly).

The bread and dipping vinegar was replenished as needed, and made a nice counterpoint to the green salads.

The service was very good, and we did not encounter the delays that others have mentioned.

We did not sample the wine offerings.

Emilio's is in the "special occasion" class for us. Maria's in Staunton serves good basic Italian food made on the premises, and several other restaurants have one or more very good pasta specialties. But Emilio's has the whole show. Emilio's also has a separate upstairs lounge with music and late drinks and snacks, the Pompeii.

Bristol, Virginia
“Wonderful Italian Food”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We ate lunch here on a Saturday and it was wonderful. Lovely upscale interior, nice wait staff. Both our dishes (one chicken, one pasts) were delicious, and the bread was some of the best we've ever had! We were from out of town, and will make a point to go again whenever we're back.

Visited May 2012
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
“Outstanding food; good service”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

This restaurant serves up outstanding Italian fare in a casually elegant atmosphere. There's a hint of snobory in the hostess station but our servers were fully satisfaction. This is probably the best current restaurant in Staunton.