“It Was Okay”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Storrs, CT
“It Was Okay”
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We stayed at the Comfort Inn on our way to North Carolina for one night. We used a coupon from the rest area and paid $65 for the room with 2 double beds, TV, and mini-fridge and microwave. We stayed on the fifth floor and we were pleased with our room. This hotel is right off I-81 so it is noisy with car noise and the business next door and a bad view. I found the bed to be comfortable but two large men waiting for the elevator were talking about how uncomfortable they found the beds and the pillows are small. The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was only so-so. The outdoor pool looked nice but I didn't get a chance to try it. The rooms have free wi-fi which made my husband very happy. We had an excellent dinner at Cracker Barrel which is only 6 blocks away from the Comfort Inn. All in all, it was okay for one night if you are driving up I-81 and you have a coupon.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JasStorrs_CT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed May 8, 2009

I encountered a very rude employee during check in that will make me never stay at your hotel again. Her name was Cassay and during check in she would not let me get one word in so I could ask questions. She was very short and rude. There was no line for her to even have to worry about someone behind me, I felt that she just didn’t want any African American’s staying in what she deemed her hotel. Because after taking my things upstairs I saw her with our white guest and she was a different person.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Ester999
Virginia
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Three friends and I stayed here for one night. We did not partake in any of the amenities offered by the hotel as we had a full schedule outside the hotel. The pool looked nice but it was outdoors and not open. Breakfast looked to be pretty standard fare for free breakfasts. The staff was courteous and helpful when we asked for suggestions but seemed to stick to the chain restaurants when we were looking for local restaurants. We had a standard room with two double beds. It was clean and did what we needed it to do. This hotel is right off of I-81 and yet was very quiet. The location is one of its best features if you are looking for easy access to 1-81 or downtown Staunton.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank variverman
Virginia Beach
Reviewed February 3, 2009

To keep it short and sweet, this hotel is awful, and nowhere near worth the almost $100 we paid for a one-night stay. The rooms were dirty with what must have been pubic hair in the sheets and in the bathroom. Though the room had a card claiming it had been cleaned, from the condition of the sheets, we were unable to suspend our disbelief.

The worst feature of this hotel is the fact that there is a railroad line that must be running along the border of the property. We were shocked when at 3am the room started shaking and we heard a train's horn bellow out, waking us up out of an otherwise peaceful sleep.

Should you feel like staying at the Comfort Inn Staunton, ask yourself whether you like midnight trains, outdated decor and dirty rooms. If your answer is a resounding "YES," then get on your phone and make a booking today... you won't regret it!

P.S., Upon contacting Choice Hotels to complain about the quality of the hotel, we were laughed at by a company representative who suggested that we should have known about the train line through our own research. We will certainly avoid Comfort Inns in the future, and will likely try to avoid any properties owned by Choice Hotels.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank 4houghtons
Georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2008

When we got to the hotel, it was dark so we only saw the lobby. It was a nice lobby, and clean. We checked in, and went up to our room. When we got out of the elevator on the 5th floor, the hallway looked very '70s. There was ugly purple carpet and dusty ceiling tiles. When we got to our room, the room was plain, and slightly dirty. The bathroom had some hair on the floor. But, there were no bugs. I would only reccomend this hotel to people who don't mind a bit of dirt to save a few bucks, but I would not stay here again.

• Liked — The Food/Lobby
  • Disliked — The Bathroom
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank estrange11
Maryland
Reviewed August 17, 2007

After a long drive from Lake Lure, NC we weren't sure of this place since it's next to the Waffle House and at 11:30pm on a Saturday; it didn't look so promising. Looks can be deceiving. I walked right in to a friendly face and gave my husband check-in info and we carried our 2 little ones up with us. The room was a 2Q bed with chairs, internet, coffee, fridge & microwave. Updated like new decor with wonderful down pillows with 4 to a bed which is a plus in my book. The bathroom seemed updated as well. The tub could have used a little help in the clean dept. The continental breakfast was standing room only and like the previous poster stated---CARB Heaven with hot/cold beverages, cereals, breads and fresh fruit. I would stay here again if I was passing through the area.

• Liked — comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — small cramped breakfast area -- very congested
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank jaycyn1995
Richmond, VA
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Rooms are nice & quiet until the trains rumble through! Immediately adjacent to the parking lot is the Norfolk Southern line. Honestly, I didn't wake up to any during the night, but there were several shortly after dawn. Breakfast is carb-intense; skip it & go to Mrs. Rowes about a half-mile east for a fine traditional Virginia breakfast.

• Liked — Large clean room
  • Disliked — Railroad, lousy TV
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business