“Bed Bugs”
Review of Econo Lodge East

Econo Lodge East
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I really wished I had seen previous reviews of this motel. Saw bed bugs crawling on the bed and went to the front desk clerk with my mother who was very polite and professional in asking the clerk for a solution to the problem. He declined to come look at the bugs and told us to vacate the premises immediately and even threatened to call the police if we didn't. It was 12 AM I had two small children and was 500 miles from home. We did leave the motel after bagging all of our belongings in trash bags. We called the health department the next business day who reported finding nothing upon an inspection three days later (the owner did report he cleaned the room). I did take photos of the bugs and excrement on the mattress.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank brittrains1
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge East

Reviewed November 14, 2013

More than adequate for our needs: a place to sleep and a quick morning breakfast. We we in Staunton for the American Shakespeare Center's Friday and Saturday productions and spent little time in the room.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We liked the area and the hotel was a little outdated but okay. Until we checked out and on our return home the red bite marks started to appear all over, on my face, neck, hands, shoulders, arms. I'm so creeped out, this is so disgusting, check the beds! We were in room 123, the last on the right side.

Room Tip: Look for bed bugs!!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna M
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were driving from MA to Florida so we had a,ready been on the road for many hours when we finally stopped for the night. We saw this place listed in a brochure we picked up at the Virginia Information and Rest Area. We decided to give it a go.

The clerk we had was nice enough. We pulled our car to the room we were assigned and walked in. Can we say outdated? Wow...I felt like we went back in time to the 70's. the sheets didn't fit on the bed and the bed spread was so old looking that I pulled it right down. The next thing I noticed was a dead bug on the headboard of the bed (a dead beetle type bug that must be common with the area). I got a Kleenex and threw it out. We were both just tired and literally watched a little bit of tv and went to bed.

The next morning I got up to start getting my things together and I had kicked off my socks in the middle of the night...so when I pulled down the blanket and sheet to get them, I found another beetle bug at the foot of my bed...alive! My friend did the same with her sheets and found a bug too. That's it...we got out of there.

Breakfast was ok...nothing fancy, but when we told the front desk clerk about the bugs she just said...oh (like she hadn't heard that before).

If you do decide to go there for whatever reason (desperation is the word that is coming to me), do yourself a favor and check the beds!

Room Tip: I don't think there is such a thing as a good room here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christine F
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were disappointed with the cleanliness of this hotel. I was so concerned that I put the towel over the chair in the room and we were careful not to sit on the bedspread. The staff was friendly but seemed overworked and glad to report that there were only two more available rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This place was not so great. It was less expensive than the other hotels, but I think I would have enjoyed my visit more if I had stayed at a nicer place. Room was out dated and mis-matched. I generally feel "ITCHY" ever since I left. Not so good.

And yes, it is conveniently located near a fire department. That should wake you up several times a night.

Room Tip: Just pay more and go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three days and I want to say how pleased I was with our room. It was very quiet and comfortable. In addition, the room was very clean and the hotel was excellently located and near.many fine restaurants.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends