“Needs a fresh coat of paint”

Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We only paid $45 for this room through Priceline, so we can't complain too much, but they do need some work done on this property. Rooms badly need a fresh coat of paint, mattresses are actually still pretty good. It's kind of a neat location tucked backed in a wooded cul-de-sac. Front desk staff was very friendly but the morning restaurant help acted like they had been at work too long. When I went in to pick up keys at about 11 on a Friday night, the smoke in the bar that was right next to the front desk was so bad that when I came back outside and got in the car my wife said "where have YOU been!" And I had only been in the lobby for enough time to leave a credit card imprint.

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
Lisa B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2016

Dear Pretty Good,

I was going through some things as the New GM and I noticed that we missed the chance to thank you for your review. Thank you and I aplologize for not getting back to you in all these years I hope that you are well. I apologize for the hotel being is such a state. I would like to let you know that we went through a complete renovation in 2012 and we also have new kitchen equipment as well. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future

Reviewed April 25, 2007

This was my third stay at this hotel and it was not bad, but not outstanding either. We needed three rooms, one for my mom, one for my kids and one for my wife and I. The person who checked us in spent a lot of time trying to find rooms that connected and she succeeded in doing so. The rooms were average but clean. The window in our room didn't lock and we heard a LOT of road noise from I-81 which is only a couple hundred yards away. If you are going to stay here I would definitely ask for a room away from the highway.

My wife and kids used the pool and I didn't hear any complaints about it. We had breakfast in the dining room the first morning and I think they were understaffed as it took quite a while to get my food that I ordered off of the menu. They were gracious about it and deleted my order from the bill without me even asking. My wife, mom and I went into the bar and got a drink each afternoon--not the cleanest place I suppose but the beer was cold and the server was very friendly and polite.

This was a good place to stay with the kids but when I go back to Staunton with just my wife we will probably stay downtown at a B&B. We enjoyed our day trips into Staunton, especially the tour of the Woodrow Wilson Library and shopping at the many antique stores.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed April 21, 2007

We are Priority Club members with Intercontinental Hotels. So we often opt to stay at their properties because we are Gold members (we paid for the membership) and we are entitled to many upgrades, etc. This hotel was not just dingey...but downright filthy. The rooms were soiled. The cutlery in the dining room was soiled and the tables were covered with crumbs and what appeared to be dishwashing powder. We wrote this all to the management in the survey upon leaving. The real clincher into how bad this hotel is...when we went to wash our hands upon arriving, the faucet broke, but my husband fixed it. Upon leaving...the next day, the faucet actually disintergrated in my hands! I gave it to the maid who non-chalantly said...oh I'll have the handyman fix it. When I told the front desk what happened...the woman there said. Sorry, have a nice day! We wrote both the corporate offices of Holiday Inn and the property direct and no one to date has written back...we stayed there about three weeks ago! Save your money and drive on to another town!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Eleganceamust

Reviewed March 1, 2007

Really liked this hotel. A little hard to find in the dark, but we managed. Employees were very helpful and extremely nice. The room had two double beds, microwave and refrig. Pet friendly, too. Lots of area to walk your dog. It was also quiet.

Stayed: February 2007

Dear Pretty Good,

I was going through some things as the New GM and I noticed that we missed the chance to thank you for your review. Thank you and I aplologize for not getting back to you in all these years I hope that you are well. We look forward to seeing you again or my case for the first time.

Reviewed September 10, 2006

Guess I got "the Priceline room". You know, the one next to the ice machine, stained upholstered furniture, dirty carpet, and walls in dire need of paint. Toilet ran all night. Window would not close completely and was next to interstate. I am sooooo disappointed with so-called 3 star hotels. This one was no exception. When I checked in at 11:30 p.m., desk clerk was so busy answering the phone, that he left me standing there for quite some time.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tarheel02

Dear Pretty Good,

I was going through some things as the New GM and I noticed that we missed the chance to thank you for your review. Thank you and I aplologize for not getting back to you in all these years I hope that you are well. I would like you to know that we went through a complete renovation in 2012 and hope you will come by and give us another chance.

Reviewed August 21, 2006

We had a coupon for a walk-in rate while visiting and traveling with our dogs. We were very happy with the facilities at the Holiday Inn. Unfortunately the only "pet" room they had was a room with 2 double beds as opposed with one bed, but that wasn't a huge ordeal. After all, we didn't have a reservation. The front desk clerk was very hospitable and the pet fee was reasonable ($20.00 for 2 dogs).

The hotel sits on the border of a country club golf course so the grounds were pretty. Our room view was of the parking lot - again no big deal. On our floor they have a fitness center which is actually the size of one of their standard rooms - so it's small and certainly can not accomodate more than 10 people. My husband and I did work out and their machines were in proper condition and they had plenty of towels.

The pool is a small half indoor/outdoor pool. My husband and I didn't use it but there were plenty of kids using it and they looked like they were having fun.

We had dinner Saturday night at the on-site restaurant. We seemed to have the place to ourselves and that concerned me because we went at the prime dinner hour. However, the food and service was excellent. My husband had the sirlon special and I had the scallops and both were very good.

They do have carafes set up for 24 hour coffee, but we found it to be out of service Sunday morning. HI does not have a free continental breakfast like most places, so keep that in mind. That particular fact didn't bother us because we were planning to eat at Mrs. Rowe's on Sunday morning.

Overall, we were extremely satisfied based on what we paid and we certainly got our money's worth.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cbvazquez

A TripAdvisor Member
Clinton TN
Reviewed June 7, 2006

We stayed here while on the road from CT to TN. We were in the process of moving, traveling with three dogs who were nicely welcomed! The staff was wonderful, the hotel grounds and room very clean and attractive. After a long day of driving, this place was a pleasure!

• Stayed: May 2006