“Like the Hyatt but with free room coffee and internet”

Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
North Carolina
“Like the Hyatt but with free room coffee and internet”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

After staying at many 4 and 5 star hotels, I was pleasantly surprised by this priceline find. The staff were friendly and helpful (tried to buy and send a postcard to Europe). The elevators required a card in order to access the floors. The rooms were as good as the Hyatt and other spa hotels I have visited. The toiletries (bath and body works) were better than most hotels and included a makeup remover wipe. Nice touch! My thought was that it was like a 4-star room but I didn't have to pay the usual $12.95 for internet or go down to the restaurant in the morning just for coffee. In fact, I liked it so much that I arranged to stay again on my return trip home. The bartender was nice, as was a business traveler who practically lived there. The girls in the restaurant went out of their way to make me happy. I like this Holiday Inn so much that I will consider other Holiday Inns during my travels. It made me question what a star level means. Go Holiday Inn! Oh, and it was probably the first time that I had a pillow that was flat enough. Many different pillow types from which to choose. Travelers, skip Harrisonburg and stop here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Lisa B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, December 5, 2016
Dear Pretty Good,

I was going through some things as the New GM and I noticed that we missed the chance to thank you for your review. Thank you and I aplologize for not getting back to you in all these years I hope that you are well. I apologize for the hotel being is such a state. I would like to let you know that we went through a complete renovation in 2012 and we also have new kitchen equipment as well. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future

Lisa Breeden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Central VA
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Arrived on Thursday evening...property right off of interstate. Watch for signs! You could easily miss the turn!

Greeted promptly at the front desk. Super friendly staff. Luggage carts were plentiful.

Upstairs to our room. There are two sets of elevators...no problems. Easy peasy.

We booked a King room with golf course view. Very spacious and clean. Refrigerator in room. Quite adequate. Smelled very clean. Plentiful towels and washcloths. Nice view.

SUPER QUIET! We didn't hear a peep. We were on the end of the hall on the sixth floor. We heard NOTHING.

Ate breakfast the next morning on property. Very reasonable prices, delicious food, super service. The waitress found crayons for my son to color with and we had a nice meal.

Utilized pool facilities that afternoon...SUPER nice. Clean...plentiful towels and seating. Indoor, outdoor feature was nice.

We will be back in August...thank you!

Two cons:

Smokey smell in upstairs hallway. I guess not all rooms are non-smoking.

No TV guide listing to help you through the 100 and some channels that may or may not be a real channel. That was rough to plod through. That may be something for the property to consider. A little laminated sheet would have been super helpful. If there was one, I missed it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Clean and friendly service. Bartender was good. It would had been nice and easier if they had a shuttle from the airport.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Chester, VA
Reviewed May 9, 2010

At 189.00 a night, I was expecting much more.

The hotel was very convenient to 81. right off the exit.

You had to use your card in the elevator to get to the 6th floor.. so I am thinking.. wow.. some really special rooms. Not so..

The first thing we saw when we entered the room, was a cap had fallen off the sprinkler head on the ceiling to the floor. Someone had tried to cram duct tape around it to make it stick into it's hole in the ceiling. That didn't work too well.

When we got back to the hotel later that night the party was rolling in the bar. The music was pretty loud. I heard them talking about the 2am crowd the next morning. We were on the 6th floor. We heard nothing, which was great.

We had the room with two queen beds. The room had the old antiquated ac/heat units under the windows. Cold air was blowing directly at the last bed all night. No way to adjust it to blow away from the bed. It was either blowing cold air.. or the room was too hot.

The bed...extremely firm. If you like that, you will love this place. Some parts were not hypo-allergenic, as I woke up with a headache. A sure sign for me that there were feathers of something in the pillows or comforter.

We had no problem with the Internet. My wife and I both had iPod's and were on them late at night talking to our kids. The Internet connection was great for us.

There was a flat panel TV, which was nice, but by no means did it have an HD signal. The TV signal was pretty fuzzy. I think they needed to boost the signal a bit. I didn't see one decent HD show, movie or picture on the thing, I could find no way to pul up a menu of what was on either. Just go one channel at a time. For 189.00 a night, I would have expected a crystal clear signal, and some HD maybe.

We ate the buffet breakfast in their restaurant. It was a very good deal. 7.99 when we went for a very good variety.

All the people we dealt with were very kind and considerate and professional.

I wish they would do the above makeovers and maybe lover the price to more like 139.00 a night.. and I would make it a point to stay there when I am up that way.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Florence, Al
Reviewed April 27, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights for a School Reunion and were pleasantly surprised with the level of service we got! We checked in early and they were ready. Our Room was on a top floor and was super clean and comfortable. The cleaning staff (Ofelia I believe) was amazing! We would leave a mess and come back to a room that was spotless! The beds are so comfortable you don't want to get up! Love these beds! The price was very reasonable. All in all when we return to Staunton we plan to return!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
histaunton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your recognition of our great staff particularly Ofelia. I look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Newport News, VA
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Superb accomodations and staff. Large flat screen TV with full cable, especially the important channels that I love like TCM & History Channel., and very comfortable, luxiurous beds. Excellent front desk personal. The unexpected surprise was the breakfast buffet. (not your typical prechewed food) Fresh scrambled eggs, tasty bacon (both crisp & floggy), delicious sausage, very good fried potatoes, and excellent sausage gravy. Plus plenty of fresh fruit, juioes, pastries & breads. The price for the room was very reasonable (military discount) too. I can't wait to stay there again. I highly recommend this hotel to any traveler.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
histaunton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, April 16, 2010
Thank you for recommending the Holiday Inn Golf and Conference Center. We appreciate your wonderful words about our staff and our hotel. I look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
VA
Reviewed November 13, 2009

We were pleasantly surprised when we checked into the Holiday Inn. The lobby and rooms have been re-done, tastefully and upscale. We had an amazing view of the golf course and mountains from our room. The breakfast was excellent. When you first drive up, you see the old look of a contemporary Holiday Inn but the inside is much nicer. They still need to do a few updates like the old ceiling fans in the dining room. The staff was excellent. We will be back!

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
histaunton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, January 24, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Golf and Conference Center. We truly value your business and look forward to having you as our guest in the future. We are continuing to update the hotel and we hope you will enjoy the new updates next time you’re in the Staunton area.

Thank you, Sean Taylor, General Manager