“It all depends”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stanardsville
Lydia Mountain Cabins
Annapolis, Maryland
“It all depends”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We just spent a wedding weekend staying in one of the cabins in this unusual collection, "My Lakeview." I say unusual, because it's different from what one expects at a "lodge and cabins" resort. It appears that the complex was built by a developer, and then expanded. The folks who run it clearly aren't from the hotel business, as their relationship with the guests is different from what you might in a hospitality-oriented place. Among other things, on arrival at the cabin we were expected to sign a lengthy contract with lots of small print, not what you'd expect in a traditional hotel or resort. It wasn't a problem, but just a bit odd.
There are quite a few older cabins relatively near each other and the "pavilion," and several newer ones spread around the area as much as a mile or two away. Ours appeared to be brand new (summer of 2014) and was delightful. Two bedrooms, a single bath, and a large living/dining area. A lovely deck with a hot tub and a magnificent view of the valley topped it off. The place was immaculate, and well-equipped with modern kitchen appliances and comfortable furniture. We were quite happy with it. It was a ten minute drive over mostly dirt roads to the pavilion and wedding site. They, two, were quite attractive, though the services they offered were quite limited, and the families of the bride and groom did virtually all of the work to set it up.
The bottom line: if you're looking for a lovely, quiet place in the woods near Shenandoah National Park, you couldn't do better than the cabin where we stayed. Don't expect any service, though. You're on your own for that.

Room Tip: We loved "My Lakeview." Each cabin is different though.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank RussellBen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Wakefield
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed at Mountain Paradise for three nights as we celebrated our 10-year anniversary. This is the perfect name for this well decorated cabin with excellent amenities. We used the pool table, fire pit, and hot tub non-stop. We thought the kitchen appliances were perfect and found everything to be in working order. The cabin was clean and most importantly...private! For more than 24 hours, we encountered only a squirrel. In fact, we became so accustomed to the quiet that a car engine on a nearby road startled us on our third day! We definitely plan to return, either to this cabin or another.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We first stayed at Lydia Mountain cabins last August. Had a wonderful stay. Quiet, peaceful and relaxing. This time we stayed at a different cabin. Beautiful view and a nice cabin. Unfortunately we were near another cabin that had a very loud group of people on both Friday and Saturday evenings. It made it difficult to enjoy the balcony and view either evening. When we emailed Lydia Mountain Cabins about the noise, they responded not with "I'm sorry you were inconvenienced" but rather with "you should have called us". There was more to their response but never did they say they were sorry, and basically they just said it was our fault for not calling them. Okay...... well while the cabins are nice, the area is nice, there are lots of other places to stay. We will not be back. Customer service is a big deal to us, and we got very disappointing service.

2 Thank NancyGrace77
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at Lydia as part of a wedding party weekend. The wedding party booked quite a few of the cabins and as such I was able to view several of them, both the older and the newer. We also used the pavilion for an evening BBQ and for the wedding reception.

The location is wonderful, quiet and peaceful, the view from the wedding meadow area is stunning, which I imagine is the primary reason most parties book the venue for their wedding. Many of the cabins did not have views due to the thick forest, but it is all very pretty.

With that being said, the cabins/pavilion are on top of a mountain in a thick forested area so of course there are environmental issues to deal with such as poison ivy, deer ticks and various assorted other creepy crawlies. And while I can understand management wanting to be environmentally friendly, by not abating, there is a limit.

We stayed in cabin #8 which was a cute wood cabin and fully equipped but over run with stink bugs as many other reviewers mentioned. We wanted to open the windows but the space between the screens and the windows was littered with dead stink bugs and old paper towels were stuffed under the gap of the screens. We didn't even open the back door because the back porch was filthy with webs and dead bugs and the front porch was equally littered with dead bugs. The cabin's outdoor BBQ grill - no way would I cook food on it.

The inside of the cabin was reasonably clean but I dropped something and had to reach under the bed and the floor under the bed had a thick layer of dust. I laid down to take a nap and there was a stink bug on the pillow and sadly, in the shower as well. I am not convinced the sheets on the bed were clean and for 3 nights I had to sleep knowing there was a huge bug trapped in a cobweb on the beam above the bed.

On the night of the wedding reception the water in the pavilion shut down, making it difficult for the caterers and of course, the bathrooms. It was at least 1 1/2 hours before the water came back on.

They claim to have WiFi in the pavilion but it is weak at best. They have portable hot spots but you have to pay for it. Cabin guests are required to empty all garbage in the dumpster near the pavilion, take the sheets off of the bed and place them on the shower floor with the dirty towels, and turn on the dishwasher. It's a bit much.

I cannot think of a more beautiful setting for a wedding than a view of the Shenandoah Valley, and we enjoyed a fabulous weekend wedding event, but if you are considering Lydia Mtn. as your venue, be aware of some of the realities.

6 Thank Patti M
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I recently made our 3rd visit to Lydia Mountain. This time was a great as the first. We stayed in Mountain Paradise again and loved it. Very clean, well stocked, great hot tub, awewome pool table... I could go on. The only thing that was not perfect was that we could not connect to the wireless router which was no big deal. We followed the instructions and never were able to connect. This was the latest we've stayed and it was even more secluded with the leaves on the trees. Turkey Ridge road is "off the beaten path" but allows for a very private stay. I could not imagine getting to the cabin in the snow.. wi/o 4 wheel drive.

If you are thinking of staying in a secluded cabin, Mountian Paradise is the place. You will not be sorry.

3 Thank Va-Ump
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We enjoyed our long weekend at Lydia Mountain. The cabin was comfortable, and as promised had everything we needed to be able to prepare meals. We had a great time exploring vineyards in the surrounding area. We did specifically pick the Mountain Paradise cabin because it has a wood burning fireplace. We were very disappointed to find a note when we arrived asking us not to use the fireplace because it needed repair. And we became more disappointed when reading through the guest sign in book it became apparent that the fireplace had not been in working condition for many weeks. We would also ask that the owners build up the area surrounding the BBQ grill. It was in a state of disrepair and the ground around it had subsided. Because there had been quite a a bit of rain, the grill was surrounded by water and unusable. If not for these issues, we would give it 4 stars.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank divadebb
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I think this was our fourth or fifth time staying at Lydia Mountain. We had previously enjoyed each and every trip both for the well equipped cabins, and for the lovely views.

This trip we stayed in cabin #11 - Three Bears.

This cabin is up on the main drag of cabins and is very close to the neighboring cabin. This probably isn't a problem when the leaves are out, but it was still just budding outside and we could see and hear our very rowdy neighbors. It must have been a bachelorette party of some kind. There was a lot of woo-ing and screaming and vulgarity, and they came home at 2 am making a ruckus. I realize that isn't the owner's fault, but just wanted to point out to anyone considering this particular cabin that you could hear noise if your neighbors aren't the quiet type.

The first floor of the cabin has a living room with a small love seat, a futon, a dining table and the kitchen, all open to one another but very tightly jammed in. There is a large stone fireplace in the living area. Off the kitchen behind two bi-fold doors is the first bedroom. It's in a very strange location and is quite small. I'm not entirely sure why they don't properly close it off as a bedroom as there is zero privacy the way they have it currently. There is a large deck off the kitchen, and the bedroom window overlooks the deck as well. Even with the window closed we could hear the hot tub heater downstairs turning off and on throughout the night. There is also a sink in the hallway and a toilet and tub in a very small bathroom across from the sink.

Upstairs are two small bedrooms and a bathroom with shower.

The basement has a couch, a giant pool table, and a full-twin bunk bed. There is also a washer/dryer closet. There is an oddly placed flat screen TV in the corner that would be very difficult to watch from the couch. The other TV, upstairs in the living room, is a smaller tube TV with a DVD player built in. The deck off the pool table room has the hot tub.

The cabin is laid out very strangely. I found the space to be crowded and awkward, and we were only four adults, no children. There is also ZERO sound proofing. You can literally hear whatever the person is doing in the upstairs bathroom if you are sitting on the living room futon. I would not go to this cabin with someone you aren't comfortable with. We slept in the first floor bedroom, and the other couple who were with us slept in the bedroom upstairs and when they got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night I was convinced someone was in the room with us, that's how loud the sound was.

Additionally - we ran out of water on the second morning. The cabin shares a well with the cabin next door. Two very big cabins with large occupancy. The well ran dry, I guess. The resort knows it is a problem, according to the fix it guy. This meant no flushing, no showers, no washing dishes. We checked out before the problem was fixed, no idea how long it took to remedy.

Honestly, had this been my first experience at Lydia, I would not return. While the view is spectacular, I do not need to hear my friends or family having a bowel movement while I watch the fire. And I'd like to be able to shower after sitting in front of a smokey campfire. The dining room chairs were literally falling apart and scary to sit on. The attempt to cordon off what must have been a dining room into a first floor bedroom with closet doors is just silly. If we do return, it will definitely not be to this cabin. We have stayed in others that were much better laid out and that felt spacious.

Sadly disappointed in Lydia. I've recommended this place to all of my friends in the past, but this last visit has me concerned that some of the other cabins might be similarly disappointing. I'm rating it as "average" this time because the view was great, the hot tub was nice and warm, and the location is perfect for a weekend trip. The cabin itself, I would rate as "poor" if only for the sound-proofing issues.

Room Tip: Unless you need three bedrooms, I would recommend Southern Comfort over this particular cabin.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank rajia21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanardsville
Lafayette Inn and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
Big Meadows Lodge
Big Meadows Lodge
#1 of 8 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to Lydia Mountain Cabins? Share your experiences!