All reviewsmountain paradisehot tubsugar shackshenandoah national parkskyline driveunpaved roadfire pitcrooked oakwheel drive carlog cabindancing bearfully equipped kitchenrelaxing weekendbeautiful cabinstar gazing at nightwonderful stayfireplace
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We looked for places to stay in the Charlottesville area and happened upon the Lydia Mountain Cabins website, having never heard of it before (not sure why). After reading reviews we decided to give it a chance because nobody seemed to have anything negative to say about it. All I can say is WOW! It was MORE than we expected.

Four of us went (we all travel together often) and we were simply amazed at how CLEAN the cabin was and how everything was provided. I mean just about EVERYTHING. We booked and stayed at the "Sweet Reunion" cabin which was actually quite large and more than enough room for four people. The place was very private, had great wooded surroundings, a beautiful wooded front porch, complete with four rocking chairs, and an amazing outdoor hot tub, which we used every night. Looking up at the stars at night with a glass of wine or champagne was like nothing else in this world. We listened to country music outside with a nice camp fire, made smores, campfire pies, chopped wood (just to say we did), and enjoyed being in the great outdoor setting.

The only thing we were glad we brought was citronella candles, food/drinks, and charcoal for the outdoor grill. The kitchen is FULLY loaded. NO need to bring dishes, napkins, paper towels, garbage bags, etc. It's all there.

We had a fantastic weekend. I would highly recommend this place and we will be returning. Just to put this into perspective, we stay at DISNEY at least twice per year, and we all commented on how affordable and clean this place was, and it is definitely an easier commute than Florida. We will be coming back at least twice per year. What a nice way to get away from it all and enjoy the area.

Book it! You won't regret it!

Room Tip: If you're staying at the "Sweet Reunion" cabin, try to take a SUV or truck with 4x4 capability. The hill to get up to the cabin is very steep and people have commented on how they had to park at the bottom of the hill because they couldn't make it up there.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed in the Mountain Paradise cabin last summer for three nights. What a great place! The cabin was on its own, surrounded by trees. You're not far from a few of the other cabins, but the setting is very private. We loved the cabin itself -- it's fairly new, and built to a high standard, with the rustic look and feel that you get with a log cabin. The hot tub on the big deck was a plus. Sipping coffee in the morning on the deck and listening to the birds was a great way to start the morning. If you are planning to visit this wonderful part of Virginia, I highly recommend Lydia Mountain Cabins.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Needed to get away from it all and this was the place to do it! I had a beautiful little one room cabin with a gas fireplace, lovely view of the mountains, and my own private hot tub. The cabin had everything I needed to make dinner, open my locally bought wine and relax in peace and quiet. I took a nice walk around the mountain, visited with the kitty's, looked at the stars and slept in perfect quiet. The redbuds were all in bloom. I wish I had had more time to stay. One night was not enough. Skyline Drive was so wonderful during the off season.
My only issue was the road up the mountain as I have a sportscar with very low clearance and there were a lot of ruts and washout.
The staff were very, very helpful and always answered my emails. Check-in and out was very easy. I would love to return to Lydia Mountain and spend more time.

Room Tip: All of the cabins I looked at were different and special in their own way.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Rainey1258
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed at the Fantasy Hideaway Cabin. It wasn't our first choice as we didn't need two bedrooms but our decision to go to Lydia Cabins was done impulsively and at the last minute. We were able to book our reservation while on the road and it was easy-peasy.

It's very easy to find Lydia Mountain Lodge and Cabins from Route 33. The road is narrow and once you get into the lodge/cabin area, the road is a little bit steeper but, we expected that and we had a SUV.

The cabin is really quite spacious -- there was a loft/bedroom upstairs and another bedroom downstairs. The kitchen had just about every amenity you could need and we even found some matches hidden away for the candles. There was a gas operated fireplace along with a wonderful hot tub on the deck. Our cabin was pretty secluded and so we had no problem using the hot tub since we had a canopy of trees over us. There was television provided and we had brought along food and beverages.

The place was homey and comfortable and you wouldn't be afraid to get comfortable here. We had two futon-like sofas (I'm not sure if they turned into sleeping futons) and wooden bar chairs along with a dining room with four other chairs. So you could accommodate a fair number of people IN the cabin visiting as well as sleeping at least four people in the two bedrooms.

It was a very romantic and quiet place to get away -- I only wish we could have stayed at least another night.

You do have to clean up after yourself by putting dishes in the dishwasher, running it, removing the sheets from your bed and depositing your trash at the pavilion (but after dropping off the trash, you're treated to a beautiful view of the valley below and a very pretty drive back to the main road).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank readhd59
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed at one of the Lydia Mountain properties in October. It was a wonderful vacation rental with everything we needed, including peace and quiet. The cabin was perfect, and we stayed for 6 nights. The only thing that would have been nice would have been a washer and dryer (due to the lenghth of our stay), but we were fine without them.

The other positive reviews are quite accurate. Our cabin was Mountain Paradise. Although it was certainly off the beaten path (on a narrow mountain road), that was part of the charm. I would definitely recommend arriving before dark if at all possible. It was convenient to everything in the area, especially Shenandoah National Park, and the fall color was fantastic.

It was a beautiful, well-equiped cabin with everything we needed. The bed was very comfortable, as well, and the deck was a perfect spot to relax and enjoy the view. The wi-fi worked well, but our (AT&T) cell phones did not. If we lived closer, we would definitely be back every fall.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple