“a wonderful discovery”

Lafayette Inn & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Lafayette Inn & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 33 Bypass
Description: 2014 DINERS CHOICE- Open Table. Sophisticated Southern Cuisine. An approachable yet elegant dining experience. Named "Virginia"s Restaurant of the Year" by the Food & Wine Society. Regions top "Gourmet Burger" lunch. Wine Enthusiast award winning wine list representing dozens of Virginia wines and countless other New World selections. Located just 6 miles off of Skyline Drive. 30-40 minutes East of Harrisonburg, 20 minutes north of Charlottesville and 30 minutes south of Culpeper.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“a wonderful discovery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We were driving to Harrisonburg and passed a sign that said "Restaurant of the Year" - which of course, piqued our interest, and since it was lunchtime, we decided to take a look-see. I pulled up the TripAdvisor app and clicked on the "Near me now" button, and the Lafayette Inn was #1 in Stanardsville. That boded well. We got directions and a few minutes later, arrived at the charming, historical inn. We parked in the back and walked through a lovely garden, were greeted warmly, and seated in the dining room. I had the Lafayette salad and the braised beef, my daughter had the crabcake and sweet potato fries, my husband had the fried oyster sandwich and tomato basil soup, and my son had a burger and fries. The kids had cheesecake for dessert and my husband had the bread pudding. Everything was excellent - fresh, high quality ingredients, the bread was to die for, and all the dishes perfectly prepared. What a wonderful discovery! We will come to the Lafayette Inn whenever we're in the area. Highly recommended!

• Visited May 2013

Darnestown, MD
“Special Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

The chef tasting/wine pairing dinner was amazing. Each course, each bite was fabulous. Alan is an inspired, knowledgeable and talented chef. He creates delicious dishes and his thoughtfulness on how to make each course pair wonderfully with each wine was well on display. The service and timing of everything was perfect and leisurely. We were treated to fabulous food and good wines while we enjoyed the information he shared about how he decides on each course and which wines. It all made for an extra-ordinary dining experience that we will long remember as a special evening. We stayed at the inn in a comfortable, cozy and pretty room, quaint and historic. A wonderful breakfast was provided by Kaye the next morning; she also has excellent culinary skills. Everything was delicious and served well. Thank you.

• Visited May 2013
Lafayette1840, Owner at Lafayette Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you!- Chef Alan
Baltimore, MD
“AWESOME FOOD & SERVICE!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

September 2012 marked the 50th Anniversary for my Mother and Father in law. My husband and I wanted to throw them a surprise luncheon. They live in Southern Virginia, my husband and I live 5 hours north in Maryland. We were looking for a restaurant that would be a half way point that people from both Maryland and Virginia could drive to and back in a day. We wanted a private room for our party but did not want to pay a private room fee. My husband and I were paying for the food but wanted guests to be able to have a cash bar option without paying an additional bartender fee. After contacting many restaurants in the Virginia are awe had it narrowed down to two restaurants. Which brings us to our next criteria of having delicious food. We chose award winning "The Lafayette Inn" after reading reviews we thought The Lafayette Inn had the best food reviews. We also wanted to stay within a certain budget.

From the beginning of the planning processes Alan was extremely helpful in scheduling the party. We wanted it to be a surprise so he told us where to have our guests park so that my in-laws wouldn't drive up and see everyone's cars, thus ruining the surprise. He helped me select four menu items so guests could pre-order in advance. We decided upon the Blackened Salmon filet with mango rice, Pesto Chicken Sandwich on ciabatta bread, Cajun pasta with shrimp, sautéed peppers, and onions in a parmesan garlic cream sauce and the Pulled Pork with house made tangy barbeque sauce.

When we arrived at the restaurant we were promptly greeted by Kaye and our waitress. These two women were so friendly and nice. They helped us hang our banner, set-up our gift table, and set up a side table for the guests to sign a photo. They room was very nicely decorated with black table cloths and gold plates for the "Golden Anniversary". At the end the even took a group photo for us. They all really helped to make the event special.

Once we were set up and guests were arriving we had the delicious southern egg rolls. Everyone commented how nice everything was. When my in-laws arrived they were completely shocked and surprised! It was nice to see them so happy with many friends and family. When the food was served we were astonished at how phenomenal everything was. The fresh baked bread simply melted in your mouth. The mixed greens salad with a house-made balsamic vinaigrette, spiced pecans, and apples simply danced on your tongue. I can personally attest to the salmon being absolutely divine. I sampled my husband's Cajun shrimp pasta, it was unquestionably marvelous.

I cannot say enough positive things about The Lafayette Inn. The food, the service, the atmosphere, everything well exceeded our expectations. We will definitely be eating there again!

• Visited September 2012
Maryland
“Charming...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

This restaurant is located in an historic Inn, making for an inviting and interesting setting. The food was good, and the service was great. The portions could have been a little larger, although we definitely did not leave the place hungry by any means. Would visit again if in the area.

Visited November 2012
Thank You! Chef Alan
Carrboro, North Carolina
“Fantastic 10 course meal with wine pairings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was skeptical that a small inn in the middle of who knows where in Virginia could live up to the lofty expectations and price tag that comes with an 8+ course meal. Instead, the meal actually overtook my most optimistic prediction. We started with an amuse bouche that didn't even count as one of our 10 courses (so make that 11), consisting of a bacon-wrapped date that was quite exquisite. My interest was piqued right away and I was never let down, course after course. Honestly, each and every one of the 11 courses ranged from pretty tasty at worst to quite delicious. For reference, course number 2 was a southern eggroll. A few days later I found myself in Charleston, ordering the southern eggroll at the highly acclaimed Magnolias and found the Lafayette version significantly better. These aren't small plates either, as by the end of the meal, I, who have successfully finished multiple eating competitions, was completely stuffed. The wine pairings were also excellent and generously allotted. It's by no means cheap at $125 per person, but given the sheer quantity and quality of food and wine, certainly reasonable. The inn itself was nice and quaint, highlighted by Keurig brewers with starbucks K-cups, a fireplace and well-functioning wireless internet. Definitely recommend if you find yourself in the area.

• Visited March 2013