“Excellent food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had burgers when we went, they were above average. Very good unique beer list, not the boring every day stuff, and try the hummingbird cake, is like a cross between a carrot cake and banana bread

1  Thank 74BenK74
There are newer reviews for The Standard Restaurant

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I were spending the weekend at a cabin nearby and did not want to drive all the way into Charlottesville for dinner. Taking the recommendations from TripAdvisor, we found our way to the Standard Restaurant. Upon entering we were immediately seated in what seemed to be the former living room of the old home. Nicely decorated and quaint. The menu was fairly small with only a few choices. When our waitress arrived, she (very nicely) informed us that several of the (limited) items on the menu were not available. In fact, their steaks had just arrived... frozen... so the steak I was so looking forward to was not going to happen.

My wife got the appetizer sized crab cakes and I ordered the burger special. The food was good but seemed overpriced for the amount and quality. The best part of the meal was the basket of french fries (highly recommended I must say). It just seemed to us that this nice,local eatery was trying to be "too" fancy.

The best part of the evening was the live artist who eventually arrived to play and sing. He really was VERY good.

Nice place, but next year when we come back for our annual trip to the cabin, we plan to go ahead and make that drive to C-vill.

1  Thank Va-Ump
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Four of us went out and we took 20 month old with us. Restaurant was perfect place for some thing a little fancier but very comfortable with children. Food was very good, service was excellent. Would recommend to anyone as a very nice place to have dinner.

2  Thank cymricj
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I went there with some friends. I got a bacon cheeseburger, but they couldn't give me fries--they said the fryer was broken, and tried to persuade me to get brussels sprouts instead. I mean, who ever heard of a burger with brussels sprouts? They were stingy with the cheese, bacon and onion, although they charged for those additions (including the onion). And, to top it off, they charged me 50c extra for ketchup!

I have to say, though, that the burger was pretty good.

1  Thank Bill W
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We live here and the food is always good. If you come near do not pass it by. It's a nice cozy place that is great to take your wife or girlfriend.

1  Thank Nate S