“Not what we quite expected, somewhat of a disappointment”

Lafayette Inn and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stanardsville
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We came for the Epitourean tour , 3 day, 2 night through the Epitourean.com culinary tours. We were not at all given what we paid for in the 3 day and 2 night package as far as that goes. The photos are very misleading from the Epitourean.com website for this course. We ended up "working" more than really getting a vacation. Our last day there was really the only "self guided wine tour" that we got and it was to one winery, which ended up being the highlight of our trip. Although the rooms are nice inside the Inn, clean and comfortable, the outside is in need of some serious renovation. Paint, cleaning of the windows, spiders and ants all outside of our room. We were thankful though that our room was clean inside. I would recommend this Inn for just a night or two stay but would not recommend for the Epitourean culinary class as it is way over priced for what you receive. Frozen food, no fresh vegetables and very little water. We had to ask for water and were never "served" except for when the Chef's wife was there. She realized we hadn't had any water all day. We literally ended up having to cook all our own food as well as a few guests that came in, not just for one night. So we looked at it like the owner really makes you pay to work there, in a sense. Great place I am sure for the traveller who doesn't sign up for the Epitourean culinary trip but over priced for a nights stay for what you receive. From us it would receive a higher rating if maybe we hadn't gone for the Epitourean part and just stayed as regular guests. The overall condition of the outside as well would rate higher if taken care of. However, it does deserve the Average rating based on the cleanliness and the comfortable rooms. The people are very nice too which made up for some of the other items we did not receive with our tour.

Room Tip: The Tyler room is nice, two separate bed rooms and beds are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kayleeocean

Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at the Lafayette on a business trip, passing through town. The room was impeccably clean and had a lot of character, great hardwood floors. Breakfast in the morning was fantastic and the owner was very gracious and pleasant. I would recommend, and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This B&B restaurant/hotel was outstanding in every way. A warm cozy room with a fireplace and a top notch restaurant with great food prepared personally by the Inn Keeper is a fine memory. Breakfast the following morning was made to order. Lots of history and no ghosts. We'll go again.

Room Tip: a wonderful sitting area and fireplace in our room upstairs.
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VaTechDad
Reviewed October 13, 2009

What a wonderful evening we spent in the Tyler suite at the Lafayette Inn. It was huge with two romantic fireplaces, candles, and chocolates and champagne. The decor was exquisite, the bed was a downy field. The bathroom was stocked with everything you might need. And everything was spotless.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank NYNYBill
Reviewed May 7, 2009

My mother and I stayed in the Wilson Room at the Lafayette Inn in April 2009. We originally wanted to book a hotel in Charlottesville, but every place was sold out so we moved up north to Stanardsville. I must say, there isn't much nearby, and it's about 20-30 mins. from Charlottesville, but the drive is fairly easy.

The hosts are very friendly and welcoming. When I phoned to say we'd be late, they were very kind in arranging for us to get the key to our room. As it turns out, we did arrive before they'd left for the evening, and they were very warm in welcoming us.

The Wilson room is upstairs and entered through a private side door. It is perfectly quaint, well decorated, and has a bedroom and small sitting area next to a private bath. We found it very comfortable and cozy. They also provided us with free chocolates and champagne, which my mom and I sipped and nibbled on while watching the 11pm news!

My only complaint is that there were a LOT of hairs on the bathroom floor that clearly didn't belong to either my mom or me. This skeeved me out quite a bit, and I actually got a towel out and cleaned up the floor because it went beyond one or two stray hairs. It was quite a bit of foreign hair. Yuck!!!

Also, be warned that the bed in the Wilson room is VERY creaky and makes a lot of noise even just by rolling over on your side. Of course, for my mom and me, it didn't really matter, but I can imagine it might be a bit noisy if you were on a romantic weekend!

The breakfast in the morning was delightful. The service was prompt and very courteous and friendly.

Overall, it was a nice stay... they just need to be sure the bathrooms are cleaned a bit better.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed October 30, 2008

A truly delightful stay. Alan and Kaye Pyles were extremely helpful, genuine folk who know how to run a successful business, even out in the middle of a bucolic town like Standardsville. The name suggests its mediocrity. The cabin we stayed in was part of a converted Confederate arsenal and was brilliantly kept up to really make my girlfriend and I feel as if we were staying in the nineteenth century - though the tiny television made it so we remained grounded to modern technology.

The one flaw with the Lafayette is the awkward check-in area that is directly in front of a swinging kitchen door. We had to wait about ten minutes for someone to help us because the owners and operators were busy assisting the patrons of the adjacent restaurant. Still, it was a lovely stay, and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to spend a night or two in the Charlottesville region. Keep in mind, it is at least 30 minutes from that town, but definitely worth the drive.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 10, 2008

My wife and I recently enjoyed wonderful night away from the kids and jobs at the Lafayette Inn. We stayed in the Dicey Cottage and appreciated the privacy. The king size bed was very comfortable and the bedroom was smartly (not overly) furnished. It felt like going back in time, albeit with the benefit of sheets with a much higher threat count. The living room downstairs was very comfortable and let me “just check the scores” of the week’s games on the TV. As other reviews mentioned the cottage is just off the main street of Standardsville, but the light traffic didn’t bother us at all.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Chef’s Tasting menu. The food and the wine pairings were truly outstanding. Our only “complaint” was there was too much food! I had expected little plates with a bite or two. Instead, each offering tended to be half the size of a generous restaurant portion. The country egg rolls and lamb chops were particularly delicious. We decided to skip the final entree, steaks no less, to save room for dessert. Hey, I can grill steaks at home, but neither of us knows how to make bread pudding that would hold a candle to theirs. In hindsight, we should have shared a single portion of a few of the many courses.

My wife got up and ran some of her dinner off the next morning, enjoying a soak in whirlpool after. At breakfast we resumed our gluttony. We had our choice of omelets, waffles, or French toast. We both loved the spinach omelet, but the best part about breakfast was the stone ground grits.

We live a little over an hour away from Lafayette Inn and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Iowa_boy_in_Virginia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanardsville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottesville - Ruckersville
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesv...
#12 of 35 in Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville
Hyatt Place Charlottesville
Hyatt Place Charlottesville
#2 of 35 in Charlottesville
The English Inn of Charlottesville
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to Lafayette Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!