“Long Wait - Mediocre Food” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Globe and Laurel
Ranked #31 of 134 Restaurants in Stafford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Asheville, North Carolina
“Long Wait - Mediocre Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Went to this restaurant for lunch with a group of twelve. With reservation. We waited more than an hour to be served and the food was so-so at best. Even after the long wait, my sandwich was brought without the onion rings - they weren't ready yet - and had to wait longer. They were NOT worth the wait.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank mcallan1

Stafford, Virginia
“Excellent Valentine’s Day Dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a lovely Valentine's Day dinner here! We were quickly seated in the fireplace room which was tastefully decorated for the occasion. Room was quiet other than some nice jazzy romantic music.

Dinner was a fixed price per person ($35) which included a glass of Champaign, choice of 3 appetizers, main dishes and dessert.

My first course was a spinach, pecan and strawberry salad with goat cheese. Very fresh and interesting. For my main dish, I ordered the rack of lamb which was served with broccolini and a loaded baked potato. Lamb was a perfectly cooked medium rare and was absolutely delightful. For dessert - amazingly good raspberry and vanilla layer cake!

My only complaint for the evening was our waitress forgot to take our drink order and to bring our bread, but that certainly didn't ruin our romantic evening! We will definitely return again for a special occasion!

1 Thank FoodNWine1
Spotsylvania, Virginia
“Worst Restaurant Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Reservations were made two weeks in advance to celebrate my boyfriend’s birthday. GPS took us to their old location, so I called to get exact directions and advise them we would be late. When we arrived at 7:30 p.m., our reservation had been given away, and we were seated in a noisy bar area. The waiter took our drink order and stated, “We are swamped tonight, we had to seat large groups that didn’t have reservations, and your dinner is going to take a while.” When our drinks finally arrived, we immediately ordered dinner (no choice of dressing as the waiter said the salad was “pre-prepared).” After about ten minutes, the waiter came back to take our order yet again. We told him what we had previously ordered, and he said, “You ordered the filet mignon well-done right?” “No,” I said, “I ordered medium-rare; my boyfriend ordered crab cakes.” While we nibbled on store-bought rolls, he returned to tell us the filet mignon was gone. I ordered the “special slow-roasted in the oven” prime rib. Later he returned to tell us the crab cakes were gone. We should have fled at that point, but were starved. My boyfriend ordered salmon portrayed as “marinated in a healthful sauce of sake, freshly grated ginger and garlic, and seared to perfection.” The small salad, a mix straight from the bag, dribbled with vapid dressing, two dried cranberries and one wedge of cardboard tomato came quickly; however, it was another hour before our dinner arrived. My boyfriend looked pretty pitiful across the table as he tried to get the small chunk of salmon away from a large pool of strangely orange-colored sauce. I hardly ever return food to the kitchen, but the prime rib was like leather. The next order of prime rib, half-globbed with fat, was delivered by the waiter who stated, “I saw it come off pink from the grill myself!” I sliced into it, and showed him that it was once again a pathetic brown. I ordered a hamburger, ate half of it, eschewed what looked like yesterday’s baked-potato, paid the bill, and left. It used to take me a while to answer the question, “What is the worst restaurant experience that you have ever had?” Now I can answer in a nanosecond.

• Visited February 2013
6 Thank Jonesy249
“Good food, awkward timing.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Fair warning, if you go in between lunch and dinner the restaurant is open, but not really prepared to serve. I'm not sure if this is stated with the hours on the door, but the doors were unlocked so we went in. It's possible the doors were only unlocked because they were hosting another party, but it was hard to tell. After five sort of confusing minutes in the lobby we were ushered in to the bar and told we could only order burgers (as if there was more than one on the menu) and appetizers (small selection of four different kinds: spinach artichoke dip, chicken tenders, fried pickles and wings). They also served beverages. Service was polite and slow-ish. The appetizers were good, but not spectacular. We enjoyed our appetizers and drinks and decided to have dinner somewhere else.
If you are a fan of law enforcement or the marine corps, you will enjoy the restaurant-wide paraphernalia and bar ceiling filled with patches. I'd like to go back and try dinner sometime since the non-bar part of the restaurant looked 'well dressed' with fabric napkins and at least semi-formal place settings.

Louisville, Kentucky
“Semper Fi - Chesty would like this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have eaten at the Globe and Laurel a number of times over the last couple of years. The food is good and the staff is great. This place is like a Marine Corps museum. A must see if you are a Marine veteran.
Chesty would eat at this place.

• Visited December 2012