Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
wa
“They lied”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

I was looking for a suburbian hotel that had walking access to the Metro. I called twice and asked about this. I was assured the Metro was a 10 min. walk across the parking lot. Their website even suggests that it is close. Well, it is actually a 10 min. drive through town and then you have to pay to park at the Metro lot, which requires that you buy a special card, etc. In the end, I ended up driving to DC and dealing with parking there.

Other than that, the room was good. The internet worked well. The breakfast was much better than expected.

• Stayed May 2006
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank radiology_woman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

Stayed here with my folks on Aug 4th & 5th, 2006. Got lost on the drive in from Gettysburg - called the hotel and the check in clerk talked us to the hotel. Clean and comfortable room. Best hotel pillows I have EVER seen. Fat & Fluffy! We were on the 9th floor. Interesting view of the highway system. Breakfast ok, nothing fancy, attendants very friendly. Both elevators worked fine. Shuttle to Metro very timely. My 76 year old mother was using a walker with a seat. The driver was very careful to fold it up for her and produce a step stool to make it easer for her to climb in and out of the van. All in all, friendly and about what I expected when I booked.

The only negative thing for our stay was the Metro. Service is being done on the tracks week-ends from now until mid Oct. We planned to get off at Arlington which should have been a straight shot but now you have to get off at the King St. station and catch a different train to get there. Same thing with the return. Getting on at King St on the way back was a stampede. Trains kept coming in and more and more people were getting off and waiting for the train to Springfield- Franconia. It was a zoo, so keep that in mind and build in extra travel time for the Metro to your schedule.

• Liked — Easy access to Metro, restaraunts nearby
  • Disliked — air conditioner blower was a little noisy
  • Tips/Secrets — Be aware of the service being done on the Metro line here through Mid Oct.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank cas24601
Malverne, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

Holiday Inn Express, Springfield VA

This is a 10 story hotel in the "mixing bowl" area of Springfield where I-95 intersects with the Beltway and I-395, Backlick & Franconia Roads. It's near the Springfield Mall and there are also many small restuarants in the area. The small pool looked clean and had lounge chairs around it.Free wireless internet, free local phone calls and an expanded continental breakfasat including cereals, fruits, hard boiled eggs, pastries, bagels etc. was included in the price We booked three nights in late July at an internet rate of $125 per night including breakfast.

Check-in time is supposed to be 3 p.m. and when we arrived a little past 2 p.m. we were told our room wouldn't be ready for at least an hour and a half as the hotel was filled the night before and the housekeeping staff was behind. We came back around 5 p.m. and checked-in immediately. There was a table with coffees, soft drinks, freshly baked cookies and candy bars in the lobby and guests were urged to help themselves. Our room had 2 double beds, a large TV, desk, 2 chairs and a lamp. The bathroom was clean, had a hair dryer and was stocked with nice towels, shampoo, conditioner and soap. One of the double beds was sagged in the middle as was uncomfortable but the other bed was fine. The advertised wireless internet wasn't working and a call to the front desk brought a sympathetic but bewildered response that it was working elsewhere in the building. A second call resulted in a phone number to call tech support but the number given by the clerk was wrong. Finally, we found the correct number down in the lobby and called tech support who checked and confirmed that the access on our floor wasn't working. The support person tried but was unable to correct the problem so he told us to tell hotel maintenance to disconnect and then reconnect that access point. Needless to say, when we tried to convey that to the front desk clerk, she didn't have a clue what we were saying. Wireless access in the lobby wasn't working either.

Breakfast the next morning was fine. The hotel was crowded with some large groups and one of the two elevators was out of service causing quite a wait in the early morning when many guests were coming down for breakfast or checking out. Another guest commented that it hadn't been in service the day before either. Since the wireless internet still wasn't working and since we decided we probably weren't going to use the pool, we checked out and went to the nearby Red Roof Inn on Springfield Blvd where we got a similar room minus the free wireless internet, breakfast, pool, hairdryer for almost $50 less per night.

We were disappointed in the problems encountered at the Holiday Inn Express. Though the staff was pleasant and well-intentioned, they were unable to offer solutions. All in all, pluses were the afternoon snacks, always available coffee, nice breakfast and generally clean room. The minuses were the sagging bed, inoperative wireless access, and one inoperative elevator. With those issues, even the internet price we got didn't compensate.

4 Thank TravelRs
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

Loved the new Holiday Inn bedding. The much touted shower was just ok. Not a lot of water pressure. The staff could not have been nicer. The HI is in a great location and has a shuttle to the metro. There are a lot of inexpensive, good ethnic restaurants within walking distance. Wireless and a computer in the lobby.

Stayed June 2006
2 Thank VAbird
Locust Grove, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

I chose to stay at this hotel because of all the good reviews I readh here on Tripadvisor. I was attending an intensive 8 day training class, which meant I was in class 12 hours/day, and studying at night. I needed a room that didn't have many disturbances, could be made VERY dark, and was in a location convenient to my training class.

It was everything I expected. The staff were VERY friendly and courteous. While I could hear some of the noise from I-95, my A/C unit, while not loud, mostly cancelled it out. The bed was comfortable, albeit a tad bit noisy. I found the overall feel of the room to be very warm and homely.

The biggest plus for me during my stay was the wireless internet access. I couldn't find anything anywhere about internet access for this hotel, other than the internet connected computer that was mentioned in earlier reveiws. So I called them, asked, and was pleased to find they had wireless networking set up. That gave me the opportunity to go out to the 'net and get study guides that I needed for my class.

There were many families staying at the hotel. Many were visiting DC and used the shuttle to Metro. I also saw families every day in the lobby watching the television and playing games wth each other in the breakfast area.

Speaking of breakfast, I only used it the first day. Once I got to my training class I found they had a very nice spread, so I ate breakfast at class every day. Holiday Inn's Continental breakfast was very nice. Donuts, pastry, croissants, cereal, juices, and coffee. Simple, but nice.

I'd stay here again. Overall it was very enjoyable. If you're coming to visit us in DC, keep Holiday Inn Express in Springfield in mind.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank busydad62
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

I stayed with a friend for 3 nights at the end of March and we LOVED the hotel. Ok, so the soft furnishings in the rooms are a bit dated but that seemed to add to the charm of the place. The curtains were blackout and the beds comfortable which is all that matters!
Our room was huge and we had a big picture window overlooking all the highways that intertwined outside. The view was strangely relaxing and thanks to proper double glazing, (see my review of The Americana Inn in New York for April 2006) the traffic noise wasn't an issue.
The staff were all very friendly and were very helpful with any questions we had.
The choice for breakfast was great and there was always loads. We didn't have lunch at all during our 3 day visit as we just ate A LOT at breakfast instead!
We were also very impressed with all the thoughtful extras:
The free shuttle to and from the Metro at Franconia is a genius idea. All you have to do is 'phone the Hotel when you get off the train and someone comes and picks you up. You can also book it to get to the Metro by asking at reception. We never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for the shuttle (It's about 10 minutes by car to the Hotel so too far to walk really). The shuttle stops at 9.30pm each evening and if you miss the deadline there is a taxi rank across the street in the commuter's car park.
There is a computer set up in the reception area with free internet access. This was really useful for downloading photos from my camera each day and there wasn't a problem with plugging in memory sticks and cameras or saving photos to the desktop which you can't do at most internet cafes!
There is an information sheet put in the lifts each evening with the next day's weather forecast.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to tourists as it's so relaxing being away from the city each night. The Metro takes about half an hour into Washington from Franconia and a lot of it runs above ground so you can see a bit of the surrounding area. I am planning on staying at this hotel again next time I visit DC.

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank Badger01
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

I would give this hotel a B+/A-. We had to reserve a 2 double smoking room because no nonsmoking rooms were available. I called the hotel direct and told them that we MUST have a room w/ 2 double beds and that if a 2 double nonsmoking became available to put us down for that room. I was told that there would be no problem. When we arrive, they gave away our 2 double smoking room and gave us a king w/ sofa bedroom. We were told that no other rooms would be available for the night. However, on the second day after talking to 2 staff members we were able to get a 2 double nonsmoking. We were there for 4 nights, so we had the room we wanted for 3 nights. Housekeeping did get the room ready very quickly for us however. In the second room we had a lamp with no lightbulb and the television was getting horrible reception. We went to the desk about the bulb and was told, "We can't get that for your right now, sorry." I was not impressed. We told the desk about the problems the following morning and they were taken care of, which made us very happy. They have a wonderful continental breakfast, be sure to take advantage of it. They have a fair sized pool which is nice for families after a long day but it was very cold. Most staff was very warm and friendly. The hotel does show it's age, but for the most parl it is very nice. Stay here if you want to save money on your vacation. Take advantage of the free shuttle to the metro and take that to downtown DC. The bottom line: For the price you pay this place is wonderful. Give it a go, you will love it! Just tell the desk right away if you have any problems. Have Fun!
PS: They have excellent showers!

• Stayed June 2005