I stayed with a friend for 3 nights at the end of March and we LOVED the hotel. Ok, so the soft furnishings in the rooms are a bit dated but that seemed to add to the charm of the place. The curtains were blackout and the beds comfortable which is all that matters!
Our room was huge and we had a big picture window overlooking all the highways that intertwined outside. The view was strangely relaxing and thanks to proper double glazing, (see my review of The Americana Inn in New York for April 2006) the traffic noise wasn't an issue.
The staff were all very friendly and were very helpful with any questions we had.
The choice for breakfast was great and there was always loads. We didn't have lunch at all during our 3 day visit as we just ate A LOT at breakfast instead!
We were also very impressed with all the thoughtful extras:
The free shuttle to and from the Metro at Franconia is a genius idea. All you have to do is 'phone the Hotel when you get off the train and someone comes and picks you up. You can also book it to get to the Metro by asking at reception. We never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for the shuttle (It's about 10 minutes by car to the Hotel so too far to walk really). The shuttle stops at 9.30pm each evening and if you miss the deadline there is a taxi rank across the street in the commuter's car park.
There is a computer set up in the reception area with free internet access. This was really useful for downloading photos from my camera each day and there wasn't a problem with plugging in memory sticks and cameras or saving photos to the desktop which you can't do at most internet cafes!
There is an information sheet put in the lifts each evening with the next day's weather forecast.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to tourists as it's so relaxing being away from the city each night. The Metro takes about half an hour into Washington from Franconia and a lot of it runs above ground so you can see a bit of the surrounding area. I am planning on staying at this hotel again next time I visit DC.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield is a 10 story hotel with newly renovated guest rooms ideally located 13 miles south of Washington, DC at the junction of I-95, I-395, and I-495 Capital Beltway. Our hotel is 11 miles south of Reagan National Airport (DCA) and with our free shuttle servicing the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station the metropolitan area awaits. Local attractions and businesses include: the White House, Smithsonian, Arlington National Cemetery, Mount Vernon, Amtrak Auto Train, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, SAIC, General Motors, the Pentagon, Fort Belvoir, and Quantico. Shoppers will enjoy Springfield Mall, Tysons Corner Mall, and Potomac Mills.The Springfield Holiday Inn Express features 194 guest rooms with newly upgraded decor, complimentary high-speed Internet access (wireless throughout hotel, wired in select rooms), complimentary breakfast, free parking, and outdoor pool. Allow the professional sales staff at Holiday Inn Express in Springfield to assist you with your next banquet or social function; we can accommodate up to 200 people. Stay Smart with us and enjoy all of the convenience of Washington, without all of the hassle! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, IHG and Odigeo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Washington Dc Sw-Springfield Hotel Springfield
- Holiday Inn Express Springfield
- Holiday Inn Springfield
- Springfield Holiday Inn