All reviewshi expressfront deskroom was cleanmetro stationupgraded to a suiteschool groupsbanquet roomstandard farebreakfast areashuttle serviceolder hotelfree breakfastfree shuttlereagan airportexercise roomflat screenair conditioner
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The check-in process at this hotel was outstanding ~ Stacey was pleasant, enthusiastic, and appeared genuinely glad to assist. He gets top marks! We requested a refrigerator in our room and received a refrigerator and a microwave; the person who brought the equipment and set it up was friendly and very professional. Breakfast is the normal fare...and it's nice having coffee available all day. Those are the highlights.

The room is adequate; good size, plenty of space, comfortable king bed. The pillows are just short of horrid; lumpy and hard. The bathroom is clean, if a bit small. The shower has great water pressure and plenty of hot water.

Housekeeping is sorely lacking. Day one, our room was cleaned in a timely manner. Day two, we were out all day (from 9am) and the room wasn't addressed until 4:20pm (after we returned). Day 3, we again left at 9am; the housekeeping crew was outside our door. We returned at noon to an unmade room. As we left a few minutes later, I asked the person at the front desk if we could please have our room made up...when we returned after 3pm, the room was as we left it in the morning. Unacceptable.

We are using reward nights; it's obvious we are not important enough to have our room cleaned in a timely manner ~ even when the housekeeping staff sees us leave because they are right outside our door ~ even when we specifically ask the front desk to have our room addressed. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear IrishWife1,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our front desk and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the pillows and housekeeping. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hotel was clean but not pristine, staff was very friendly. Shuttle was readily available to take us to the Metro or to various dinner places near the hotel. They hotel did have some problems keeping food for the breakfast demand...I don't know if it was particularly busy or if they were just ill prepared. For the value I would stay here again. Easy access to the metro

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a perfect location for taking the metro into DC. The hotel has a free shuttle to the Springfield-Franconia station. They will also take you other places within about a two mile radius (restaurants, drugstore, etc). The location is very easy to find and right off the interstate.

Our room was a nice size and don't let the older exterior fool you. The interior has all been updated.

The breakfast buffet had a really nice variety including eggs, sausage, toast, bagels, a pancake maker, cereal, fruit etc. it was really nice and they kept it well stocked.

The service was beyond excellent. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend this hotel and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed at this property for several times in the past two years always on business. The staff is just awesome! Arriving here is like coming home to mom's. They make you feel very much at home. Despite being next to the interstate, it is actually very quiet, a tribute I think to the build. I am usually in a hurry in the morning, yet, find the HOT breakfast which starts at 0630 hours to be not only tasty but wholesome, and usually get a generous amount to my fill. Perhaps one of the best of the staff is Stacey. I do recall he remembered me after my 1st visit almost two years ago and knows my special needs as I sometimes travel with an elderly parent just to get him away. Stacey is particular to ensure my parent is care for and has the type of accommodations he needs. Housekeep too is particular to ensure we are given special attention. At least one of the restaurants just across in the plaza ensure we receive a 10% discount just for staying at this location. They will take you to and from the Airport without a fuss. The WiFi is also without incident, no disconnects as is common in other hotels. That is most important to me as I spend a lot of time on the net. What I really like is that they seem to actually remember you after the first visit and that really makes me feel like I am where I belong and am most comfortable staying.

Room Tip: upper rooms are best
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I think too often, traveler’s expectations far exceed the reality of what the travel industry beholds. They have a romantic and jaded sense of what a hotel experience should be like. If one would go to a hotel with realistic expectations, more travelers would be surprised at how nice their stay could be.
When I travelled to Washington, DC on March 2 from Virginia Beach, it was not my intention to stay overnight. I had come to the nation’s capital to see a wonderful play at the Arena Stage Theatre. This trip could not have gone more perfect. The drive to DC was traffic free. I arrived at the Franconia-Springfield Metro where I always spark when going to DC. The train ride into DC was relaxing and smooth.
After an extensive amount of walking, a two-hour play, travel back to the Metro, my sister suggested that I get a room for the night instead of driving back to Virginia Beach. I went on Expedia, and searched for hotels in Springfield, VA near the Metro. While on the Metro I reserved a room at this hotel for the grand total of $87.20. I stood on the platform waiting for the connecting Metro to take me to my car and it was freezing on the platform. I arrived at my car numb but I pressed on to the hotel. Finding this place was not easy. I could see it but could not get to it. I called the hotel and Paolo answered it. This kind gentleman stayed on the phone with me until I arrived at the hotel. When I arrived I told him who I was and I thanked him. The check in was super swift and he assured me that my stay would be a memorable one.
I simply do not have one bad thing to say about this hotel. It was clean, the room had ample room, and the bed was super comfy. The bathroom was clean. I didn’t use the shower because I just crashed on top of the covers and rose in the morning. I stayed until noon check out. The breakfast was great—fresh muffins, apple juice, orange juice, hot coffee, French toast, sausage, scrambled eggs. Maybe the best free hotel breakfast I ever had. The food was replenished at least twice when I was down stairs eating, Tracy made sure I had toothpaste and a toothbrush. He was not only friendly and lively, but he was treating the guest like family. When I told him about Paolo he told me how great he was. When I left he urged me to come back again soon. It was like leaving home for the day.
This will definitely be my go to hotel when I go to DC. I just don’t see the need to pay 100 percent more to say in the city or in a pretentious so called 5 –star hotel with pretentious 3-star service given only to those the pretentious hotel staffs deem worthy to receive it. Whether I am spending $50.00 on a room or 500, I want to be treated like a welcomed guest—nothing more and nothing less. It doesn’t take several hundred dollars to do this—just welcoming and smiling faces like Tracy and Paolo for the weary traveler!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo