I think too often, traveler’s expectations far exceed the reality of what the travel industry beholds. They have a romantic and jaded sense of what a hotel experience should be like. If one would go to a hotel with realistic expectations, more travelers would be surprised at how nice their stay could be.
When I travelled to Washington, DC on March 2 from Virginia Beach, it was not my intention to stay overnight. I had come to the nation’s capital to see a wonderful play at the Arena Stage Theatre. This trip could not have gone more perfect. The drive to DC was traffic free. I arrived at the Franconia-Springfield Metro where I always spark when going to DC. The train ride into DC was relaxing and smooth.
After an extensive amount of walking, a two-hour play, travel back to the Metro, my sister suggested that I get a room for the night instead of driving back to Virginia Beach. I went on Expedia, and searched for hotels in Springfield, VA near the Metro. While on the Metro I reserved a room at this hotel for the grand total of $87.20. I stood on the platform waiting for the connecting Metro to take me to my car and it was freezing on the platform. I arrived at my car numb but I pressed on to the hotel. Finding this place was not easy. I could see it but could not get to it. I called the hotel and Paolo answered it. This kind gentleman stayed on the phone with me until I arrived at the hotel. When I arrived I told him who I was and I thanked him. The check in was super swift and he assured me that my stay would be a memorable one.
I simply do not have one bad thing to say about this hotel. It was clean, the room had ample room, and the bed was super comfy. The bathroom was clean. I didn’t use the shower because I just crashed on top of the covers and rose in the morning. I stayed until noon check out. The breakfast was great—fresh muffins, apple juice, orange juice, hot coffee, French toast, sausage, scrambled eggs. Maybe the best free hotel breakfast I ever had. The food was replenished at least twice when I was down stairs eating, Tracy made sure I had toothpaste and a toothbrush. He was not only friendly and lively, but he was treating the guest like family. When I told him about Paolo he told me how great he was. When I left he urged me to come back again soon. It was like leaving home for the day.
This will definitely be my go to hotel when I go to DC. I just don’t see the need to pay 100 percent more to say in the city or in a pretentious so called 5 –star hotel with pretentious 3-star service given only to those the pretentious hotel staffs deem worthy to receive it. Whether I am spending $50.00 on a room or 500, I want to be treated like a welcomed guest—nothing more and nothing less. It doesn’t take several hundred dollars to do this—just welcoming and smiling faces like Tracy and Paolo for the weary traveler!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield is a 10 story hotel with newly renovated guest rooms ideally located 13 miles south of Washington, DC at the junction of I-95, I-395, and I-495 Capital Beltway. Our hotel is 11 miles south of Reagan National Airport (DCA) and with our free shuttle servicing the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station the metropolitan area awaits. Local attractions and businesses include: the White House, Smithsonian, Arlington National Cemetery, Mount Vernon, Amtrak Auto Train, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, SAIC, General Motors, the Pentagon, Fort Belvoir, and Quantico. Shoppers will enjoy Springfield Mall, Tysons Corner Mall, and Potomac Mills.The Springfield Holiday Inn Express features 194 guest rooms with newly upgraded decor, complimentary high-speed Internet access (wireless throughout hotel, wired in select rooms), complimentary breakfast, free parking, and outdoor pool. Allow the professional sales staff at Holiday Inn Express in Springfield to assist you with your next banquet or social function; we can accommodate up to 200 people. Stay Smart with us and enjoy all of the convenience of Washington, without all of the hassle! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Washington Dc Sw-Springfield Hotel Springfield
- Holiday Inn Express Springfield
- Holiday Inn Springfield
- Springfield Holiday Inn