“Best place to stay in the DC area!”

Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
New Hampshire
“Best place to stay in the DC area!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Spent two nights here in August and was so pleased with this place! Clean room and quiet for a busy hotel. Breakfast was excellent and their was plenty of room to spread out so you didn't have that cramped feeling you get at many hotel breakfast rooms.
The location is great although its very tricky driving around trying to get to and out of the hotel. I can't remember his name, but the front desk help was WONDERFUL! They have a shuttle to the Metro station in town (about 5 minutes away) and that made our day in DC so much easier. The front desk suggested where to get on and off the Metro and made for an easy day and no driving!
My only little complaint is the shuttle only runs until 9:15-9:30, and we came back at 9:45 so we had to get a taxi-again the front desk suggested a taxi company and we had a great ride back.
Highly recommend this location !!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I had to travel to the Alexandria area on business for a couple of days. I chose this Holiday Inn Express based on location and price. Close enough to Alexandria and DC proper that I could get my business taken care of and still get to do a little touristy stuff, but far enough away to avoid paying the really high tourist prices.

The hotel itself is an older property; 1980s maybe. However, it's been well taken care of. Remodeling was done sometime in the recent past. Overall, the hotel was clean and modern looking. The room itself was well furnished with a king bed, couch, coffee table, dresser, LCD TV, desk and chair. The bed had a selection of firm and soft pillows to choose from (I preferred the firm). The bed itself was comfortable and I slept soundly. The walls are fairly solid; I didn't hear anyone in the rooms next to me even though they were occupied. My room faced the freeway, but traffic noise was distant and unobtrusive. The bathroom was clean and the water pressure was good. A few caulking rough spots and some dust in the corners was about the only thing I spotted through out the room that would be considered a negative.

For in room entertainment, the TV signal was clear and the channel selection was the fairly standard mix of kids, news, networks and movie channels. I didn't watch TV much because wifi is offered free in the rooms and it is fairly speedy. I was able to stream Netflix content with no problem. However, downloading a standard definition movie off of iTunes took a couple of hours.

The hotel offers a breakfast bar. It's the fairly standard coffee, bagel, cereal and juice type with the added bonus of scrambled eggs and sausage. Coffee was good and the bagels were fresh. The eggs and sausage, not so much. Then again, I haven't found many hotels that serve eggs and sausage that taste like anything but the instant microwave kind (ie - not as good as the real thing). The cereal selection was a blend of adult stuff like Raisin Bran and kids stuff like Fruit Loops. The staff kept it well stocked and it the serving and dining areas were kept clean.

A couple of plazas border the hotel with small shops and fast food. A few blocks away are more eating and shopping areas. So if you need to grab a quick bite or forgot your toothpaste, you don't have to drive far if at all.

So overall, I'd stay here again. It's got a good location, is well managed and offers up a quiet place to lay your head while visiting the nations capitol.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Woodbury, Connecticut
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as a halfway stop to Myrtle Beach. The hotel is close to I-95. There are plenty of restaurants and stores within walking distance. Parking is free and on the property. Reception was excellent and the staff very polite. We had a room with 2 doubles for the four of us. Room size is average. Wifi is free- you need to enter a code in your browser (does not work with Roku). There is no microwave or refrigerator. The room was clean, beds very comfortable, and the shower was excellent! There were no bugs hanging out. The free hot breakfast was good and checkout was a breeze.

• Stayed August 2012
Warminster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I spent the weekend at the Holiday Inn in Virginia with my husband and are three children. I was very pleased with the service. From the first phone call to the time i checked out Stacey Boulware was there answering ALL my questions. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you Stacey for all your help. I look forward to seeing you again soon :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I would have loved to give this hotel 5 stars, but there was at least one item that keeps me from doing so. True, this is in a very popular and populated area, but it was too busy for me and my family. Braving the crowds to get some breakfast was a chore because the dining area is too small! The food is standared HIE fare, but there was always a line waiting for it. Also, this hotel seems to be a popular place for holding events (there was a graduation ceremony while we were there). One more blurb about it being very busy, is that sometimes we had to wait a really long time on the elevator. As for the good points, the staff were friendly and helpful (Stacey is awesome), the room was spacious and clean, and everything worked fine. But be warned that not every room has a fridge and microwave! Oh, and the location would make you think that its really noisy (right by 2 freeways and overpasses), but its very quiet! So in conclusion, If you're just looking for a place to rest after sightseeing, and don't mind lots of people, this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask to be sure, but from what I gathered, the rooms on higher floors may be the ones that have a fri...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
PA
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I picked the holiday inn express due to it's convienant location to the DC area. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The manager on duty was Stacey Boulware, he went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant and comfortable. He personally gave us the best advice, maps and tips on seeing the DC area. He also took us to the metro station himself and when we came back, he had a van waiting at the station totaled us back to the hotel. The rooms were nice size and clean, bathrooms well supplied and all at a very reasonable rate. They offer a free breakfast in the AM, which has more than the usual continental breakfast I was accustomed to. The pool was clean and a nice size, there is a gym and shopping, restaurant and a Dunking Donuts all within 2 blocks of the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to people looking to visit DC as they have a very good selection of amenities and a great location and staff.

• Stayed July 2012
New York, NY
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Property is clean and comfortable, seems to be recently remodeled, with decent free breakfast, free parking and free shuttle to the Metro, which is nearby but not walkable. (I drove to the Metro parking lot one day, having an interim stop to make, and it was only a few dollars and there were spaces available, so that is an option.) There are no refrigerators in the lower rooms, so ask for an "executive" room if you want one. A/C was rather loud, but very welcome as the days were hot. Housekeeping very good.

I had one issue that I hope management will take note of. As another reviewer mentioned, in the middle of the night the fire alarms went off. Apparently there was a leak in the sprinkler system? I say apparently, because the only information I and fellow guests were able to get was from the firemen. No one came out to the crowd of confused guests in the lobby to explain the situation! After an hour and a half in the lobby, I heard one of the firemen say it was probably safe to return to the rooms, though they would not turn the elevators back on. It would have made all the difference to have someone in charge explain the situation and express some interest in the safety and comfort of the guests. I understand that this was a unique challenge and hope new policies are put in place, should a similar emergency occur in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business