“Good Value for a Washington DC Vacation”

Best Western Springfield
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Good Value for a Washington DC Vacation”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I booked this from England for the first three nights of a three week tour of the Eastern Seaboard of the USA. The hotel is a little tired and could do with a complete refurbishment; however it does have many plus points: big, clean rooms with excellent AC, a good breakfast, a fitness room and an outside swimming pool with lifeguard. There are also restaurants within 5 - 10 minutes walk of the hotel, which is always a bit of a bonus if you want to enjoy an alcoholic beverage with your meal!

The rates were very competitive and our only real concern was the rather unpleasant smell in the lobby and corridors, clearly caused by some kind of cleaning agent. Other than that, we found our stay here to be very satisfactory.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Angela H, Manager at Best Western Springfield, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear topfellman,
Thank you so much for your feedback about your stay. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights with family in the last week of July, and used it as a base for my DC vacation. The staff was friendly and helpful. Morning breakfast was good. Elevators were a bit grimy. The windows on the 4th floor can do with a power washing. The room was clean, bug-free, and comfortable. Free wi-fi worked as advertised. The bathroom was clean and stocked properly. I had a rental car and used to drive from here to Union Station in about 25 minutes, leaving the hotel at about 7AM. Parking at the Union Station is $22 for the day - found it convenient because the conducted tours start at this location. I found this location much better, rather than staying in DC for twice the cost and paying for parking, breakfast and wi-fi.

Room Tip: The Union Station has a lot of mall-like restaurants. I found it convenient to eat here after a long...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank erudite_30
Angela H, Manager at Best Western Springfield, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear erudite_30,
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your trip to dc. I am pleased we were a pleasant part of that stay. We look forward to seeing back again for your next visit.

Le Roy, New York
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My three sons and I stayed here for a four day Washington DC vacation. The experience was exactly what I was hoping for. It was economical (approx $110 a night). It is a 5 minute drive to the Metro Blue line (35 - 40 minutes to National Mall area from the Metro stop). I chose not to use the shuttle so I can't comment on that. No issues with the state of the room. They were clean and well mainted by housekeeping. The sink for the room is in the room proper as opposed to in the bathroom. I found this odd at first, but came to view it as a plus as one of the kids could be brushing their teeth, etc. while another was in the shower or using the toilet. TV is a DirecTV feed (no PPV options) with Showtime / Movie Channel. They must be splitting this throughout the hotel as the signal quality was suspect (but watchable) on some of the channels. Wireless internet access worked fine. None of the usual hotel hoops to jump through to access as they just have an unsecured wi-fi network.The pool was well maintained. The breakfast was a big plus. This is a complimentary full breakfast (make your own waffles, cereal, scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage, muffins, bagels, etc.). Food was of good quality every morning and the staff kept everything fully stocked. Fifth and sixth floors require keycard access to reach via elevator (no extra charge). The location struck me as quite safe - it's located amidst highways and strip malls. There is a wide variety of restaraunts, a Giant, and a 24/7 CVS close by. I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to others looking for an affordable place to stay for a DC sightseeing visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank NoodlesFromLeroy
Dear NoodlesFromLeroy,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We appreciate the review and hope to see you back again soon.

Louisa, Virginia
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have been staying at the Best Western for about 3 months for a job project. The staff at this hotel has been great. I have had the chance to enjoy the hot breakfast every morning and the outdoor pool that opened May. I would recommend this hotel to travelers that come to area. Great service and great accommodations and great price!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank clerance530
amiles6721, General Manager at Best Western Springfield, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Clerance530

Thank you for your review. I am glad that we have became your home away from home while you are traveling on business. Our hotel is designed for the business and leisure traveler and I am glad that you have had a chance to enjoy all of the amenities the hotel has to offer.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel is very convenient for visiting Washington DC. The hotel provides a terrific shuttle service to and from the metro stop (a 3 minute drive at most). Never waited to get collected for more than 4 minutes after calling the hotel. The room we had on 5th floor was spacious, clean and in good working order. The beds were very comfortable and bathroom was recently renovated. There was a slight smell initially upon entering room, but disappeared quickly. The breakfast was amazing, constantly replenished by helpful staff who kept the area very clean and pleasant. The metro ride was 38 minutes from station to the Smithsonian stop. The hotel is close to a large supermarket and a terrific Vietnamese restaurant (Saigon City) and a Dunkin Donuts all within walking distance.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the rooms on the 5th and 6th floors. It is worth it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
amiles6721, Manager at Best Western Springfield, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
ParistoNY

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your positive feedback and I hope that you will keep us in mind for future visits to the Washington, DC area.

Harrodsburg, Kentucky
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My husband, two young-adult daughters, and I spent four nights here so we could visit DC. we chose it based on the rate and the location. It was about 15 minutes from DC by car, but the hotel is about a mile from the Metro (subway) station and it provides a free shuttle. The shuttle drivers were available each morning after we had eaten the free hotel breakfast (which was pretty good but had little variety--eggs, potatoes, sausage, waffles, yoghurt, cereal, juice, milk, muffins, etc.) and would come to the station to pick us up each evening when called. The room was small but clean. There was some traffic noise but it wasn't bad. Overall the hotel was quiet. One elevator didn't work when we arrived but was fixed the next morning. The pool looked clean and nice but we didn't visit it. There was adequate parking and the staff was nice. Overall I would recommend it. It looked a little worn, but like I said it was clean and moderately priced.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear BumpyGrumpy

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that our property fits your needs. We are aware that the property needs some minor upgrading and we are in the process of making those upgrades. Some of the upgrades we just completed was new LCD televisions in the guest rooms, microwave and refrigerators in all guestrooms as well as we just upgraded most of our breakfast items. We still have a few projects ahead of us but with help of guests like yourself we are taking pride in improving our product.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Spent four nights at this hotel. Higher price than I'm used to paying, but low for the area. Very good breakfast included in price. Very nice pool, with lifeguard on duty. Free shuttle to metro station and local restaurants, and mall. Close to interstate. Switched rooms because we spotted some small roaches, on three occasions, in our first room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bucktown-yat
Bucktown-Yat

Thank you for the review on our property. I am glad that you were able to enjoy some of the amenities of the hotel such as the pool and the complimentary shuttle. However, I would like to apologize for the pest issue that you had in your guestroom. We do have a monthly service performed on guestrooms to prevent these issues from occuring. I am sorry that I did not get a chance to address this issue while you were here. This is not the a normal occurance and I hope that you will stay with us again when you are in the area.