New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of BEST WESTERN Springfield

BEST WESTERN Springfield
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
East Coast
“Great budget hotel, A+ Location, Metro, Breakfast, Beds So-So”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

This is just as advertised--an older property, acceptably maintained with some new upgrades, in a convenient and safe location, for a wonderful price (we paid around $65-promotion rate/weekend). The best "free" breakfast I've ever had, friendly staff, decently cleaned, safe, near shopping, grocery, Metro and restaurants, and the shuttle service makes it all accessible. Free Wifi worked well, adequate number of electrical plugs.

The only huge con was the bed comfort. When booking online, they give you a choice of pillow type, which was a nice surprise. However, the beds in the double rooms are doubles not queens (which I knew) and my mattress (take note, Management, room 423!) actually sank in the middle. Very uncomfortable for two people--even if one is a child--you roll towards each other. Also, the pillows were quite small, and only two to a bed, making it impossible for two people per bed to prop themselves up against the head board to watch TV or read. Definitely need larger pillows or add two extra per bed!! Small detail which would improve comfort immeasurably. Bedding/Linens a notch above "budget." Towels adequate size and number, but thin.

We did not use the shuttle service, so cannot comment on that. Metro is about 4 minutes by car (yes, you could walk, but would be a bit far). Seasonal pool was small and not aesthetically pleasing (closed during our visit). Tons of parking at the station on weekdays (3000+ spots). Took about 30 minutes to Smithsonian/Mall area actual train time, not including waiting for trains to arrive. Area felt safe, as did Metro station.

Hotel is older, but halls and corridors appear to have brand new carpeting etc. Average mid-level hotel decor; some mild maintenance issues (chipped paint, caulking etc). Humidity pretty high in the hotel--not sure how the cooling system works during really hot weather--just fine for our stay with outside temps in high 70's. Fans in bathroom, but didn't eliminate shower moisture. Individual a/c and heat unit worked well for us and was not so noisy as to disturb sleep. Mild road noise evident on freeway side of building. Great black-out curtains, so no light issues. Plenty of hot water with good pressure. Micro and fridge in our room (not in all, apparently).

Hotel appears to have had a restaurant in-house at one point, and they now use the space to cook/serve breakfast, which was very tasty, with a great number of options and plenty of food. Eggs, sausage, hash browns, cereals, breads/bagels/sweet bread, grits, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, juice, milk, coffee, tea, waffles every day of our weekend stay. Plenty of food, did not run out.

Overall, got just what I expected for the wonderful price, with the exception of the really bad mattress. Definitely would recommend to anyone who just wants an acceptable place to rest for a decent price near all that Washington has to offer.

Room Tip: Only certain floors--I believe 1-4, but not sure--have fridge and microwave in room. Top two floors...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
amiles6721, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Springfield, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Sati09

I take pride in knowing that we are continuing to satisfy our guests. I have taken notice on the issues of our beds and have since replaced the mattress in that room. We are also going through a small renovation which will be finished by the end of the year. The management on property as well as the owners have noticed that we need to take our property to the next level. We are replacing all the TV's with Flat Screens in each guest room and public areas. We are also changing our bedding package to the NEW triple sheed with bed scarfs. These just some of the items that we are changing.

I hope that we you are in the area that you will come back to experience the NEW LOOK of the Best Western Springfield.

Afiya Miles, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Springfield, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

I often have to book reservations for out-of-country guests who come to the metro DC area for business but are on a limited budget. This Best Western is great for them. It's not too expensive, and many of the rooms have free wi-fi and a fridge/microwave. This is handy, as there is a Trader Joe's nearby. The hotel has a shuttle service which ferries guests to and from the metro (Franconia/Springfield), the last stop on the blue line, which goes right to Reagan International Airport and on into town. My guests have told me that the hotel has also picked them up from Trader Joe's. There are many ethnic restaurants within walking distance, as well as several banks and a Hard Rock Cafe.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Kekfrankos

Thank you for great comments about our property. I am glad that you had the wonderful opportunity to enjoy our service and amenities.

Look forward to your return stay with us!

Afiya Miles, General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

Excellent weeks trip,best hotel for service,shuttle to local amenities,breakfast,excellent room and customer service I have no hesitation in recommending and would use again as opposed to other hotels. We saved approximate £1000 planning this trip with this hotel and flights with united when compared to virgin!!!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Lindaclements
amiles6721, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Springfield, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Lindaclements

Thank you for your review of our property. I am glad that your stay was "Outstanding". I take pride in knowing that my guests are satisfied throughout there entire stay with us. Look forward to hosting you and your family again soon!
Cincinnati, OH, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

We selected this Best Western based upon the price and proximity to a business meeting. Having lived in the DC area many years ago, I knew several of the hotels in Springfield were in older buildings and I was a little concerned about how nice the hotel would be. My concerns were completely unfounded. My fifth floor room was extremely nice and the complimentary breakfast was nothing short of spectacular. The fifth and sixth floors of the hotel are private floors that are only accessible via your card key. The room was clean, quiet, and well appointed. The breakfast is served in a former restaurant and it featured waffles, muffins, hot foods (sausage, egg, and potatoes) fruits, and many more items. They even have a specialized coffee machine featuring cappuccino flavors--the first one I have seen at a hotel. The breakfast was quite likely the best I have ever had during a hotel stay.

The hotel is located near the Springfield Metro station and it is seconds away from the I-95 ramp, making it a convenient place to stay away from the traffic and higher prices closer to the District.

We are planning to take our children to visit the DC area in the near future--we will stay at this hotel if it is available!

Room Tip: If you are traveling on business, ask for a room on the fifth or sixth floor. As mentioned above...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank OH_Tom
OH_Tom

I am glad that you had an awesome experience at the Best Western Springfield. Our Executive Level is one of our best amenities at the property. Thank you again for your feedback. Please keep us in mind when you come back to the area!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past 3 years and keep coming back. The room cost, the location, internet and the hot breakfast (great if you are traveling 18 to 20 year old students) all make it worth a stay. I little tricky to find, however. Once you have been there though, no problem.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Unclowbrass

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to know that we are able to keep you as a loyal guest to our property. You would be happy to know that we are in the process of enhancing our breakfast even more. Can't wait for you to experience the difference!

New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

Hotel was nice and convenient to Metro. We spent 8 nights there in March, 2011. I would certainly consider it again if we are in the area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BJL83
Wesley Chapel, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed here for a quick overnight on my way home to Florida. I liked the hot breakfast....but I did comment to the front desk that although we got there 10 minutes before the 10:00 breakfast ending time, when 10:00 came, the woman started putting everything away even though we were trying to eat. I understand that they want to clean-up, but I feel that it shouldn't be done until all the hotel guests are DONE with their breakfast. Other than that (and a little mold on the shower curtain, which I also told the front desk about) I found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. Very convenient too.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank LisaM30
amiles6721, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Springfield, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Ms. LisaM30

Thank you for taking the time out to comment on your stay with us. I am glad that you had a great experience with us overall!
I value your feedback and will definitely address the concerns that you had during your stay with us.
Thank you again and hope to see you soon!