“Still an amazing meal after years”

Mike's American Grill
Ranked #1 of 194 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Springfield, Virginia
“Still an amazing meal after years”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have been coming here for almost 25 years now. I moved away a number of years ago and was excited to have the chance to meet friends at Mikes again. The Ozzie rolls - there is nothing more to say about them except heaven on earth. The team service is extremely enjoyable and it is obvious the management here trains their staff well. The have to like what they do since it shows in how they do their job. Me beer was proper temp (Guinness) which is a pleasant surprise. I can not wait to come back here again. Thanks for the memories, you topped off a great night seeing old friends.

• Visited February 2014

New Jersey
“Struck Out By the Prime Rib”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We had a party of nine and made reservations for 7:30pm. The restaurant is very appealing with its rustic brick look and modern amenities. When we arrived we were told by the hostess that our table would be available shortly and she suggested we go to the bar which we opted not to do. Well 40 minutes later our table became available … so much for making a reservation.
The highlight of the menu for me and two others in my party was the famous Aged Black Angus Prime Rib. I lost my enthusiasm when I read the reference to “while it lasts” in the description. Considering this was the money dish and we were seated 40 minutes late I feared being struck out. Sure enough it was not available … Strike one, strike two, strike three, were out! When we made mention to the waiter our disappointment he basically told us to move on and order something else.

I went with the 10oz, filet mignon ($30) and the Caesar salad that was included. The salad was very nice and the beef cooked exact to my request. It was tasty with a hint of hickory wood. The potatoes were above average with no evidence of basil. There were also four or five tiny button mushrooms included.

My two colleagues went with the Black Angus Rib Eye Steak ($29) with the basil red skin mashed potatoes. Both reported it as average with no juice. One other dish to mention was the Hickory Grilled Fresh Fish which was Mahi Mahi this night. It was rated very good. Other meals were considered average.

• Visited February 2014
new york
“Always strong”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have been a number of times while visiting family and Mike's always pleases. It is not fine dining, but it is the best you will get in these parts. Definitely worth the trip, if you are in the area (but be forewarned--it is always crowded).

Visited December 2013
us
“The best of Springield”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Mike's should be used as a model for managing all restaurants. From the moment you walk in the door until the moment you leave you are treated as a valued guest. There is a "system" in place for every detail to ensure a fine dining experience. Even when busy you feel welcome and know that the goal is to get you seated as promptly as possible and maintain a high level of service throughout your visit. The decor in Mike's is warm and inviting. I have to mention that the Christmas decorations were simply beautiful this year - from the Santa hats on the large stars hanging from the ceiling, to the beautiful tree, garlands and, Poinsettias it was a welcome respite during the busy holiday season. The details here make your meal delightful. I know this might sound odd but, the glassware just sparkles which makes the beverages look so refreshing. The basket of rolls and bread are so delicious - they just melt in your mouth - careful- you don't want to spoil your meal! Salads come to the table on an appropriately chilled plate- everything says FRESH! Hot entrees are served hot - imagine! The wait staff seems to anticipate your every need and visit the table frequently but not so much as to be a bother. And, when you are finished the check is brought promptly. I come here more for lunch than dinner (based on geography only) and it really is the very best place in the area. Can't wait until my next visit.

• Visited January 2014
Evansville, Indiana, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Customer service at its finest”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Great atmosphere, more rustic than modern. Hostess greeted me with enthusiasm. Sat in the bar and Eric was my waiter/bartender. I ordered a entree that looked great when I got it. I did not realize it had rosemary in it, therefore I did not like it. Normally I would just pay my full bill and go, sense I did not ask the waiter if it had rosemary...so that was my fault and a restaurant should not pay for my mistake. Eric insisted that I get something else. I got the sautéed chicken in brown butter sauce with button mushrooms over angel air pasta. It was excellent. When I return to the Springfield area I will definitely be back. This type of service is lacking in too many restaurants these days. Thank you Eric and the rest of the staff for such a wonderful dining experience!

• Visited January 2014