“Pretty good Mexican place”
Review of Austin Grill

Austin Grill
Ranked #69 of 197 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I was wandering around looking for something to eat and found Austin Grill.

I got the Joe Ely combo - grilled chicken taco, barbacoa beef enchilada with Ancho Chile sauce, and a chicken tamale topped with Texas chili. Oh, and rice and beans.

First off, chips and salsa were delivered to the table. This wasn't regular salsa. It was dark (black?) and delicious. REALLY great. I ate 2 bowls by myself!

The chicken taco was really pretty bland. A little disappointing.

The barbacoa beef enchilada made up for it. It was terrific.

And the chicken tamale was good.

The rice and beans were pretty bland.

I would definitely go back again and get barbacoa beef enchiladas. They were really spectacular. (And more salsa).

I would give this place 3.5 stars if there were halves. But I'm giving it 4 stars instead. (Giving it only 3 stars is unfair.)

My waiter (I cannot remember his name, sorry) was really good and checked on me regularly.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Good place if you're clamoring for a Texas feel. The steak is great. I feel like I'm in Texas when I'm in this place.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

My wife and I dine at the Springfield Austin Grill about once a month. It's a lively place to eat - zany decor, lots of kids, and tolerable noise. We give the food high marks - meats that are cooked and seasoned just so, traditional mexican dishes that are tasty and which avoid the heaviness found at other tex-mex venues, delicious home-made salsas, etc.

If tex-mex doesn't appeal, the hangover burger platter is an impressive alternative. In addition to a large ground beef patty cooked to order, the burger also includes, bacon, grilled onions, shredded beef, queso, and topped off with a fried egg. Picking this monster up by hand is out of the question - it must be eaten with knife and fork.

Menu prices are reasonable and conducive to family dining. The menu is updated frequently. On our most recent visit, we noticed that the menue had been cut back and that some of our favorite dishes had disappeared. However, we have found that the kitchen is often willing to cook your favorite dish even after it has been removed from the published menu.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

My wife and I stopped into Austin Grill to grab a bite one Saturday while we were out running errands. I had the carnitas and my wife had the grilled chicken salad...both were excellent. We also tried the Austin Wings, which were nice, large wings with a great grilled flavor. The salsas we tried with the chips were very good as well. They had a local hot sauce made in Herndon, VA, that was excellent. The menu here is quite large, and they have a full bar. Many other people were ordering off the Saturday brunch menu. Lastly, the service was excellent. All in all were glad we stumbled on to this place and I think it will become one of our regular places.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

Driving thru the parking lot of Whole Foods saw the sandwich board at Austin Grill hawking Sunday brunch for 5.99. Sounds like a deal! I suppose I should have asked, but the entrees highlighted on the outside advert were 9.99 on the menu and no mention of the advert special inside with the menu. Regardless, ordered two brunch specials. Food was certainly unspectacular, service slow with a virtually empty dining room, coffee very weak, and generally a forgettable experience for the menu price vice any advertised special price. Will not be back and will tell our friends in the area to do the same. Drive thru McDonalds is a better deal and better food.

1  Thank memjfm1